Autographed Unitas card

WendyK

Greenie
Aug 11, 2006
Prairie du Chien, Wisconsin
I found this card hiding in a box of sportscards I purchased at an auction several years ago. It was literally hiding under the other cards, under a piece of cardboard cut to look like the bottom of the box. I would have never found it except my son spilled all the cards out looking for a Bret Favre. I seem to recall my dad saying many years ago that Johnny Unitas was one of the greatest players ever. I don't know much about football, any ideas on what an autographed one would go for? Have not come across any autographed ones on line. (The scan is kind of sucky, the card has no stains or yellowing, just the plasic cover). Should I have it graded???

Attachments

• card3.jpg
    card3.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 381
  • card3.jpg
    card3.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 372

unitas

Feb 24, 2008
Northern Ohio
WendyK said:
I found this card hiding in a box of sportscards I purchased at an auction several years ago. It was literally hiding under the other cards, under a piece of cardboard cut to look like the bottom of the box. I would have never found it except my son spilled all the cards out looking for a Bret Favre. I seem to recall my dad saying many years ago that Johnny Unitas was one of the greatest players ever. I don't know much about football, any ideas on what an autographed one would go for? Have not come across any autographed ones on line. (The scan is kind of sucky, the card has no stains or yellowing, just the plasic cover). Should I have it graded???
Nice card---that's a 1958 Topps card,his second card ever. The card by itself has value add to it the autograph and it's a very nice collectable indeed. I have an authentic Unitas autograph and yours appears to be one as well. VERY NICE card. Johnny U passed away several years ago which will add value to your find as well,take good care of him.

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn't have it graded. Since it appears to have been autographed after it left the factory, grading might lower the value. Don't have a card graded because it has a 'graph. Definitely have it authenticated though. If authentic, the card will fly high on it's own merits.
Card companies today have saturated the market with memorabilia swatches and 'graphs.
There is really no investment potential with todays cards.
Yours looks like a sweeeeet card.

Cachefinder

Dec 22, 2008
ARIZONA
Detector(s) used
lucky horseshoe
GopherDaGold said:
I wouldn't have it graded. Since it appears to have been autographed after it left the factory, grading might lower the value. Don't have a card graded because it has a 'graph. Definitely have it authenticated though. If authentic, the card will fly high on it's own merits.
Card companies today have saturated the market with memorabilia swatches and 'graphs.
There is really no investment potential with todays cards.
Yours looks like a sweeeeet card.

I agree- it will be graded lower because of the ink on it.
But i would get the signature authenticated, lots of fakes out there!

Nice find :thumbsup:

**so Wendy, what did you do?**

OP
OP
WendyK

WendyK

Greenie
Aug 11, 2006
Prairie du Chien, Wisconsin
Have not been here for a while, I still have the Unitas card, will hold on to it, the autograph seems to be original, and the person who looked at it offered me $400.00 for it, as is. I just haven't had the time to get it checked out. (I think he knew it was real) I started a new business, so haven't had much time for anything, maybe can find out more soon.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions