Bamboo Fly Rods

Copperhead

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2007
The Constituition State
Detector(s) used
Ace250
BamaBill said:
If anyone ever comes across a bamboo fly rod they want to sell or trade for something, please PM me and I'll be sure to get right back to you.

Thanks,
BamaBill

I think might have a couple kicking around somewhere...not positive they are actually fly rods...If I remember correctly they just looked like bamboo sticks to me ???...but they were aquired with a bunch of other fishing poles..I'll post a picture...if I can find 'em...

OP
OP
B

BamaBill

Nov 8, 2006
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 70, AT Pro, Tesoro Tejon, ML X-terra 50
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Ok, I'm interested in knowing what you might have. You can also send any photos to
wlwalter77 at hotmail dot com

Thanks,
Bill

OP
OP
B

BamaBill

Nov 8, 2006
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Most Southbend bamboo are good rods. How long is it and does it have any numbers on it?

baspinall

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2006
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Equinox 800
GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I still use an old Winchester dry fly rod to this day. Great rod.

Brian

whispers

Jan 1, 2006
Vermont
Detector(s) used
dfx
I collect older fishing poles,lures,paper, and reels I only started in 2001 but have acummulated much too much stuff.I'm quite sure I have some bamboo rods and some bamboo rods built for trolling as is evident by the types of reels affixed that look kinda like fly reels if your interested?

rwsnc

Jun 30, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705, Minelab Xterra 70, Compass Relic Magnum 7a, Compass Coin Magnum, Garrett AT Pro (Sold)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've built several graphite fly rods that I use today. Back when I started building fly rods, I bought an old bamboo rod and rebuilt it. I tried fishing with it but it was a real "dog" compared to a graphite rod, which you can fish with all day.

If you're looking for one to fish with, I'd like to suggest you look for a Tonkin cane rod. There are several people that custom make them starting with splitting the bamboo and using really nice nickle-silver ferrules, reel seats and winding checks. They are getting a pretty penny for them, though, but they ARE beautiful fly rods.

Anyway, my old one is hanging around here somewhere, if you're interested.

Bob

OP
OP
B

BamaBill

Nov 8, 2006
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks Bob, I just put the notice up because I fix up old ones and sell or trade them. I was building new ones for a while and have plenty of bamboo rods to fish with.

Bill

rwsnc

Jun 30, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705, Minelab Xterra 70, Compass Relic Magnum 7a, Compass Coin Magnum, Garrett AT Pro (Sold)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
BamaBill said:
Thanks Bob, I just put the notice up because I fix up old ones and sell or trade them. I was building new ones for a while and have plenty of bamboo rods to fish with.

Bill

That's an art. I've seen and handled some gorgeous cane rods that are too nice to fish. Way beyond my rod building abilities. I've built several graphite fly rods and pretty much only use them.

I'd really like to see some photos of the new ones that you've built. The WWII era rebuilt one's that I've done and seen are alright but, for me, they fish like dogs.

Dig em all

Nov 28, 2009
I have two one I just got from my friends father for free including a reel and another I got in California in a wooden box (japan) for ten dollars the one in the box has 5 different tips and both the butt of them are reversable so it can be a spinning rod and a fly rod depending on the reel location on the handle. I love them both

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have always heard that the old ones were worth a bundle.

blseder

Jul 8, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i was given an old bamboo fly rod years ago. i was offered $6,000.00. I declined. when i had it appraised, i was told it was made in the 1860's or 1870's, and was worth way more than i was originally offered. it is in great shape and actually functional. if that interests you. send me a response and maybe we can do some dealin'....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread