inherited collection

brainfart

Nov 16, 2008
hey all,
a friend recently inherited a collection from her father and grandfather. She has one large 4-drawer filing cabinet FULL of stamps. She pulled out a few cellophaone-like envelopes with sheets of 10 or so stamps. she referred to them as "proof sets" - or some such. And she had a shoebox of postcards with cancelled stamps.
She pointed to another 2-drawer cabinet that was also full -and- stated she had some in her safe because her father had said they were quite valuable.
Her father inherited his fathers collection and just stuffed it in a cabinet while he began working on his own collection.

here's the issue - she has been unsuccessful in finding anyone in the Phoenix, AZ area who is willing to look at the collection. She would like someone to assist her in sorting / categorizing / valuing the collection.
She's called a few folk who tell her that they're not doing that anymore.

anyway -- we're open to ideas / thoughts / opinions....

many thanks,...

davest

Silver Member
Nov 5, 2007
somewhere between here and there, south of over th
Detector(s) used
titan 3000xd/seahunter mk ll/Ace 250/whites 6000XL Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow. Same predicement here. I took a small amount to an appraiser, like a file folder full, after a while he told me the modern stamps should be sold as postage at a lower rate due. The oldies, he wanted to give a price for the entire collection which is a suitcase full based on a small sampling. We're still holding.

Good luck.

tokenhead

Feb 14, 2006
Erie,PA.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
brainfart said:
hey all,
a friend recently inherited a collection from her father and grandfather. She has one large 4-drawer filing cabinet FULL of stamps. She pulled out a few cellophaone-like envelopes with sheets of 10 or so stamps. she referred to them as "proof sets" - or some such. And she had a shoebox of postcards with cancelled stamps.
She pointed to another 2-drawer cabinet that was also full -and- stated she had some in her safe because her father had said they were quite valuable.
Her father inherited his fathers collection and just stuffed it in a cabinet while he began working on his own collection.

here's the issue - she has been unsuccessful in finding anyone in the Phoenix, AZ area who is willing to look at the collection. She would like someone to assist her in sorting / categorizing / valuing the collection.
She's called a few folk who tell her that they're not doing that anymore.

anyway -- we're open to ideas / thoughts / opinions....

many thanks,...
Any REPUTABLE stamp dealer should assist you(for a fee i'm sure!)or point you in the right direction...Contact the American Philatelic Society/P.O.Box8000/State College,PA.16803/(814)237-3803/[email protected],could be outdated but still in state college,PA.I'm sure they will help in some way,or go to library&take out SCOTT catalouge&do it yourself then...hope this helps!i'd LOVE to come to AZ.&help!!!good luck!

P

pippinwhitepaws

there is a fellow, karl at C&S stamps...was in mesa, but i have lost track of him...
honest and knowledgeable.

scotto

Bronze Member
Dec 23, 2006
My first M/D find
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
I inherited a large collection as well, some very large books filled with nice stamps, old ones and stamps from all over the world.
Unfortunately stamp collecting isn't anywhere near as popular as it once was, and nobody local to me even wants to take a look at them. I have no idea what I have is worth. :P

tokenhead

Feb 14, 2006
Erie,PA.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
scotto said:
I inherited a large collection as well, some very large books filled with nice stamps, old ones and stamps from all over the world.
Unfortunately stamp collecting isn't anywhere near as popular as it once was, and nobody local to me even wants to take a look at them. I have no idea what I have is worth. :P
Got any pics??? take some of american stamps if you can...earlier us stamps are at front of stamp albums...take some pics i'll help(based on pics!)

HolyDiver

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2008
PA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, pictures will be great. :thumbsup:

JakefaePa

Feb 20, 2009
Pa
Detector(s) used
Bountyhunter
tokenhead said:
scotto said:
Got any pics??? take some of american stamps if you can...earlier us stamps are at front of stamp albums...take some pics i'll help(based on pics!)

Ive came across an old stamp album as well , ive no great interest in collecting stamps as i collect coins but i admire the book and its contents and realise somebody long ago spent a lot of time putting this humble collection together..my question is..if i were to post pictures would you be willing to help me ? Thank you

tokenhead

Feb 14, 2006
Erie,PA.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
JakefaePa said:
tokenhead said:
scotto said:

Ive came across an old stamp album as well , ive no great interest in collecting stamps as i collect coins but i admire the book and its contents and realise somebody long ago spent a lot of time putting this humble collection together..my question is..if i were to post pictures would you be willing to help me ? Thank you
YES,I would help you as much as my knowledge will allow :thumbsup:!!!,Please post pic's...Like front few pages,middle,BACK,especially if any air-mails,special delivery,etc.Hopeing to see some pics! HH ALL!!! :icon_study:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread