Help with a BUNCH of stamps I inherited

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Our late father was a stamp collector since he was a boy in the 1930s to the the mid 2000s. He has boxes and boxes of stamps (mostly cancelled) from worldwide, that he would save. For example, he worked for a company that did worldwide business, so whenever mail came in from exotic places (in the 1960s & 70s), he'd save the envelopes. He also was in multiple stamp clubs mailer organizations over the years, and saved tons of their sampler stamp packages.

Is there any value for stamps of the 1930s to the present, or do collectors mostly angle for the older stuff?

Where would a person go about liquidating a collection of boxes like this?

HolyDiver

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2008
PA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sure if you posted some pictures, some TNet members would be interested to buy and also appraise.

OP
OP
Tom_in_CA

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Holydiver, there's literally boxes of the stuff. Too much to post, and I suspect....... a lot if fairly modern. Most from the 1940s onwards, (but perhaps some 1930s?) So I was just wondering (maybe a stupid question) if ....... in general ..... world stamps from this era to the present are even valuable to begin with. Or do collectors just go for the older stuff?

He also has albums that he sort of half-*ss filled out. They look to be world stamps type books, not the vintage older stamps (like the updside bi-plane type older stuff :))

I think what I may do, if the question I'm asking is too general, is just to box it all up, and sell it all "sight-unseen" on Ebay. Ie.: literally "by the pound", and the buyer can sort for himself to cherry pick if anything good is in there. Sound like an ok idea given the description and ages?

HolyDiver

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2008
PA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would take it to a local appraiser before I would put something you are unsure of (value-wise) on ebay.

tokenhead

Feb 14, 2006
Erie,PA.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HolyDiver said:
I would take it to a local appraiser before I would put something you are unsure of (value-wise) on ebay.
I totally agree w/HolyDiver...stamps of any age are collected!&some(post 1940)are worth ALOT of cash,so i'd get them looked at by a reputible stamp/coin dealer(some are combined but you need someone who knows stamps)and take it from there,also you can post a few pics so some TN people(like me)who know about stamps can get an idea of what you have.like a pic of the earliest to latest,some of the covers(envelopes),etc.good luck&HH!!! :icon_study:, :thumbsup:

leslie(nova scotia)

Silver Member
Sep 22, 2006
lower sackville,nova scotia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garretts only
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yo Tom

From the land of the Bluenose.....might have a few goodies but during that period world wide not too much special save for a few errors and misprints. Like coins...supply and demand as well as shape come into play. Don't know too much about the hobby as I have only been a collector now for 45 years!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions