HolyDiver

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2008
PA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, great condition on those stamps. If nobody on here can give you a price range, I suggest you take it to an authorized coin/stamp dealer and get a price. Look on ebay as well, so you can get an idea on what you have. Don't be quick to sell either. :thumbsup:

paratrooper

Sep 20, 2004
Kingman AZ
A million marks in the 50's was about one quarter of a million dollars American . This was from WW2 when everything was super inflated . When I was real young I had about 3 or 4 hundred million marks in overprinted German money that my grandfather had . To the folks unfamiliar with "overprinted" . They took money back out of circulation and stamped a new number right over the entire bill . Imagine a 10 dollar bill with a big $50,000 stamped right across the front and back .If you will indilge me for a minute I will relate a popular story about the end of the war . 2 German women were walking down the street in Berlin . Both had a hold of one handle of a big wash tub full of overprinted German money . They saw a crowd of people across the street and wondered if there was food for sale there . They put the tub down and crossed the street to investigate . There was no food so they crossed back . In their absence someone had dumped all the money out and made off with the tub .

TheDane

Nov 3, 2005
DENMARK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP-Deus, Tesoro Vaquero.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The hyper inflation period in Germany was in the years 1923 - 24 ! :thumbsup:

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
If the source I cited misstated the approximate date of issue, I'm sure he'd apologize.
As a kid, I can remember getting hundreds of these stamps practically free; actually, even free with others that would be sent 'on approval'. Also, check me if I'm wrong, but my belief is that Germany never issued a stamp with the image of Hitler. Interesting.
Don....

TheDane

Nov 3, 2005
DENMARK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP-Deus, Tesoro Vaquero.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mackaydon said:
If the source I cited misstated the approximate date of issue, I'm sure he'd apologize.
As a kid, I can remember getting hundreds of these stamps practically free; actually, even free with others that would be sent 'on approval'. Also, check me if I'm wrong, but my belief is that Germany never issued a stamp with the image of Hitler. Interesting.
Don....

Check ! :wink: ;D

There were actually several series with Hitler.
Here just some of them:

http://cgi.ebay.com.my/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=7833&item=180324621763

http://h-u-m-rueegg.li/images/de865_1944.jpg

TheDane

Nov 3, 2005
DENMARK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP-Deus, Tesoro Vaquero.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mackaydon said:
The Dane:
I misspoke; I meant COIN, not stamp; by bad.
Don...

Your right about that, Don ! :thumbsup:

Silver Eagle

Apr 14, 2009
This particular stamp was issued in 1923.. It should be perf 14 & watermark #126... The old catalog Im referencing has it listed as Scott #281.. I added a picture of the 126 water mark for identification purposes..
Since this catalog is so old & I thought the numbers could have possibly changed, so I done a search on e-bay & found the catalog is still very accurate even though its a 1967 edition.! See results of the e-bay search below..

BTW,The water mark on these old stamps was strong & most times require no fluid to I.D..
I believe the imperf issue of this stamp is much more valuable.! But you should still check & make sure the stamp has the right water mark & perf scale before placing a value on the stamps since there have been errors found of this issue..

scan0002-4.jpg

http://cgi.ebay.com/Germany-Scott-2...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item45ebf762e2

papabill1948

May 22, 2015
Alabama
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chris. I believe this is a 1923 stamp, probably number 314 A, as identified in the 2014/2015 Germany Michel catalog. Don't bother with Ebay or trying to sell it because it has a value between .2 and 2.2 Euro, depending on condition. I would like to hear other opinions since I am a novice collector.

tokenhead

Feb 14, 2006
Erie,PA.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hyperinflation...

Here a few more...HAPPY HUNTING ALL:thumbsup:!!!

Attachments

• DSCI8248.JPG
    DSCI8248.JPG
    54.8 KB · Views: 163

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread