Old Stamp Collection

tombraidergirl

May 22, 2013
UNIVERSAL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello to all new here to this group was looking online for stamp collecting forums , I was here the other day about Estate sell auction finds but had no clue about the stamp area on here..

Short story I have had a lot of older stamps for several years I had sold some things with this collection that I had came across.. but now am willing to sell the stamps and really just trying to figure out what I have and the value if any to all .. is there any place on the net or maybe here if you place a picture that the some one could identify the stamp.. I have bought the stamp books but with honestly the time it would had taken me to look up each stamp without knowing what I was looking for would had been a waste of time it would had taken me a very long time..

that being said.. any info would be greatly appreciated.. or if there is a link or forum just to help with with the idenitity of the stamps..

thank you.. I will try to upload a few but I wouldnt want to post in the wrong area..

Thanks. Ebay 080.JPG Ebay 114.JPG Ebay 118.JPG

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Last edited:

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Sheila,
The other stamp is from Sicily; minted in 1859. "Bolla Della Posta Disicilia".
Here's some more on this stamp:http://www.virginstamps.com/list.html?category_id=3243
If you have others you wish to ID, post them here and I'm sure someone can ID each of them.
Don........

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

tombraidergirl

May 22, 2013
UNIVERSAL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thank you very much now to find if there is any value to these stamps ... this is the hard part..lol. thank you for looking those up..:)

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Sheila,
Part of the 'fun' of stamp collecting is to first determine from what country did the stamp originate. No doubt, there are many sites that can assist you in that endeavor. You might also get lucky and Google (type) in the letters or words that you can ID on the stamp and let Google (perhaps) tell you the country. "Back in the day" we had only stamp catalogs to plow though to find the country of origin--or fellow collectors who we met in stamp clubs--which are now a rarity, unfortunately.

There are many catalogs that can be searched. The most common--the ones your local library may have--or can easily get for you--are the various Scott's Catalogs. No doubt many other various catalogs are online.

Yes, you'll need to get a good ID on the stamp (by reviewing the catalog) to determine which variety of the stamp (if varieties exist) before you can talk value. Other value considerations will be a determination if the stamp has been cancelled, it's condition, rarity, whether or not it has been 'hinged' and current pricing of comparables.

Through all this, remember, it's a hobby; have patience --and enjoy the journey.
And if you want to post more, I'll be happy to give you an opinion of, at least, identification.
Don....

OP
OP
T

tombraidergirl

May 22, 2013
UNIVERSAL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you Don.. yes I do know it is a Journey I had to do the same thing with the things that came along with these stamps it took me 3 months to find buyers and that was with doing emails over seas etc and then had to travel four states away to sell them..lol.. so it is time and time again...:)

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Mauritius Queen Victoria - 1885 Four Cents Carmine - Used
Mauritius Queen Victoria 1885 Four Cents Carmine Used | eBay
I went to Google Images and typed in "Mauritius stamp four cent". Piece of cake !!
Searching (using Google Search and landing on Ebay) I found this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MAURITIUS-7...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557
It's easier if you can get the Scott's Catalog number for each stamp; that is a universal and easy reference.

By the way, here's an interesting online catalog for British stamps--including market values.
http://www.britishstamp.net/
Don.....

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

tombraidergirl

May 22, 2013
UNIVERSAL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks Don.. yeah those are not too hard.. to look up.. I have so many varieties to look up.. I noticed you placed another link in the post up a couple lines.. I was wondering as far as stamp forums is this one get a lot of traffic? if you have different countries etc? just curious about the link you placed up above ..

I had stopped by another site but it will not allow me to place my pictures there for some reason... so there seems to be differenet sites on the net for forums about stamps...

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I have no idea of the 'traffic' other forums receive; nor do I have any reason to look elsewhere.
NWS, I think you can find all the information on most of your stamps with a little research; including asking us here.
But once you ID the stamp (country, date, Scott's Catalog number), you should still check the catalog for rarer varieties of that same issue (different perforations, coils, watermarks, hues, etc.)
It's a journey, enjoy !

Don.....

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
For US stamp ID, you might consider buying an old Scott's Catalog for a few bucks to get the Scott's Catalog number, then go to Google and Ebay to find out more about the stamp and its most recent sales history
Don........
PS: And this site will give you a clue to your pale green Revenue and Postage stamp: Queen Victoria Lilac and Green Issue - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

tombraidergirl

May 22, 2013
UNIVERSAL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yeah I may have to get a book.. I had books before and sold them..lol.. honestly I have more of the 2 cents red stamps .. they where loose in the stamps and I havent had time to scan them .. today was the first time I have done any scanning in while.... so yeah the Rare stamps is going to stump me on the difference in them all.. its easy to look them up but then going on detail.. is like another ball game..lol.. yeah dont know much about these stamps ..

when I pulled up stamps the 2 cent stamp came up rare but then again it would take a expert to know the difference. but I do have more of them which is odd.. maybe fell out of book....

OP
OP
T

tombraidergirl

May 22, 2013
UNIVERSAL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
united states stamps 300.jpg I dont know if i am supose to put these here or in another area on the board? if we post pictures am I suppose to put these like with us stamps or something?

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
You don't need to be an expert to ID your stamps; only patience and a reference book.
Feel free to post them on this Stamp Collecting Forum.
The sheet of 25 you just posted are all regular issue US stamps (easy to ID with a reference book). The last two on row two appear to be Postage Due stamps.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread