Stamp could fetch $10,000,000 dollars

jspero

Jul 25, 2006
East Coast USA
I know I left that $10M bill around here somewhere... Probably dropped it in the Paper Currencies forum. :) Thanks for posting the story. Maybe this will inspire me to catch up on my Linn's. I have about a year's worth piled up waiting for me.

coinsareawesome

Bronze Member
Apr 6, 2013
Mid-Atlantic Region
Detector(s) used
Ace-250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great story, Don, but there aren't that many people collecting stamps anymore. I don't know anyone who would pay that price for it. 10 years ago it might have been 20 million.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Great story, Don, but there aren't that many people collecting stamps anymore. I don't know anyone who would pay that price for it. 10 years ago it might have been 20 million.

I've been collecting stamps since a child in the 50's. On Craigslist there's an individual posting his collection - 6 months now, still on there yesterday.... Of course, he may be thinking they're worth more than they are - his pics look like very common issues, just old....

But, you are correct - there aren't many people collecting stamps anymore..

OP
OP
Mackaydon

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Back in the day,..........stamp and coin shows shared about 50/50 the display/booth space.
Today, I observe that if stamps are even offered, their space is less than 10% of the available space.
To bad, since that was/still is a great way to learn history, especially US history versus learning US history from coins.
Don....

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Back in the day,..........stamp and coin shows shared about 50/50 the display/booth space.
Today, I observe that if stamps are even offered, their space is less than 10% of the available space.
To bad, since that was/still is a great way to learn history, especially US history versus learning US history from coins.
Don....

Don, I bet my kids will never even look at my collection when I pass. The last time I was active in the hobby was '92, haven't even looked myself = boxes in the attic....

OP
OP
Mackaydon

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Besides my albums, I had bags of unsorted stamps. Neither of my kids (or even their friends!!) wanted these stamps--for free--so I donated them to the local stamp club--whose membership averages 65 years old.

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
I remember that stamp when I was a kid and collected. Then it was called the rarest stamp in the world then and was valued at 50 thousand USD. Quite a return considering.
If what some say about the loss of popularity of collecting it's too bad. I knew more about geography and countries than most of the other kids because of collecting stamps. Still surprises me when something comes up like on the news about some obscure country and I'll know the country, where it is, and maybe even a stamp or two from there.

OP
OP
Mackaydon

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
hvacker,
I'm with you on that. As a kid , I lived on the end of a dirt road. The only thing I knew about the 'outside world' was through studying the images on stamps, that were offered in the hundreds-- for pennies--though the Stamps on Approval' process.
Good memories.
Don...

VERDE

Bronze Member
Jun 6, 2013
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey don!! Neat Story!! Let me give you the rest of it!! Dupont actually collected meteorites also and had quite a collection!! My ole MD'ing partner and I found a 25 pound meteorite years ago and Dupont contacted us about acquiring it!! Make a long story short he flew down to Pensacola and met us in the lounge where we "traded" him the meteorite for Barter Equally!! Seemed like nice enough guy, still can't believe he killed that guy!! Now when they auction that meteorite for 9.5 I am really going to be PO'ed!! GOOD LUCK and GOOD HUNTING!! VERDE!!

huggis

Sep 4, 2013
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Aqua pulse - Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mackaydon you are all over treasure.net so I figure I will ask you about stamps. I've inherited a small collection from my dad who collected in the 50s. What should I do if the stamps are stuck on the books? Do they lose value? Maybe they are hinged but got stuck? Any help would be appreciated. I know you have the answer lol.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought stamps were "dead"...
Sheesh I have an old album somewhere around here.

Heh... the part about ole Dupont. sheesh and I can remember that whole ordeal on the news.

OP
OP
Mackaydon

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
huggis

If the stamps are stuck to the book by their own gum, you can try steaming them off; but value will be lost in the process.
What would you do with the stamps they become unattached to the album?
You may wish to post a pic of a page of your stamps. No doubt collectors with chime in and give you advice of their value IF they were NOT attached to the album. Where to start would be the page containing the earliest US stamps. Keep in mind that most stamps issued after 1940 (and still unused) have little value premium value over face; and if those stamps have been cancelled, they are about worthless to a collector. But for historic and educational value, they are hard to beat.
Don.....

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You could also boil the stamps off the paper, dry off with gentle paper toweling, then spread the stamps on wax paper, flatten between pages of a big old book....

At least I think that is the order my Dad and I did it when I was a kid...

patiodadio

Feb 28, 2014
KY
Detector(s) used
Whites 4000D
Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have my stamp collection from when I was a kid. Whenever I look at (every few years) I always think, no wonder kids don't collect stamps anymore. The ones they make now days are just not as neat as the old ones.

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Choce between purchasing this stamp, or purchasing a mansion, if I had the money, I be living in a mansion.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions