Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After having worked several years in a several different stamp stores, being on both sides of the table at many stamp shows, and still doing a little mail order and eBay. I've come to some disturbing conclusions about the future of stamp collecting in the US. The main observation is that fewer new hands are coming on than are leaving, and in a world that operates on supply and demand, there are getting to be more stamps than collectors.
So I am letting any stamps with much catalogue value go, and will approach stamp collecting in a whole new way. I will continue to collect postally used US, and focus on the issues from 1930 through 1980. These stamps are readily available and not a lot of catalogue value there except for the Zeps, White Plains SS, and a few others, and I will not be collecting any of those, but common stamps with unusual features, cancels, ultraviolet varieties, maybe the Small Banknote 2c watermark varities, and just whatever basically comes in bulk off paper by the pound, or I can forage at stamp shows. Anything I run across of any real value will be sold as soon as I find it, and it's out there, kind of a way to treasure hunt from my kitchen table and have fun doing it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread