Watermarking reveals a pair of 832b - BINGO !!!

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All the talk of checking watermarks on stamps on here yesterday got me in the mood to start going through several hundred US # 832 - $1 Wilson designs of 1938. I was checking for double line USIR watermarks and about half way through the batch found a horizontal pair with the double line watermark evident. The stamp on the left has the R and part of the I, and the stamp on the right has the majority of the I. WOOHOO!!!! These two are the first I have found in about 50 years of checking for this error, and they catalogue out at $65 apiece, but a joined pair will of course bring more.
In 1951 they were printing up a batch of these $1 stamps, and somehow ended up printing some on sheets of paper that had been used to print US Revenue stamps back in 1898, and that paper was watermarked USIR for United States Internal Revenue. OOPS!
Well, now I'm really stoked for going through several pounds of old stamps I have been throwing back for at least 15 years waiting for the day I became motivated enough to dive in with my loupe, watermark tools, and perf gauge to determine what they actually are. I'll of course be bragging (translate - boring you) here if I hit anything else good, but it might take me months to dig my way through all the Bureaus and Washington-Franklin heads.

Stoked Stamper :hello2::thumbsup::headbang:

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    245.1 KB · Views: 112

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread