Exploring a nearly 100 year old stamp collection

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I had posted a couple comments about the stamp collection I'd purchased 27 years ago from a 92 year old collector who first started collecting in 1918.

I've only touched a little here and there over the years I've had the collection. The collection is NOT for sale as it will go to my son on my passing. Realistically, I really don't know how to begin in getting it in order. There's 5 boxes full of all sorts of stamp related collectibles. One unfortunate thing I see is that it hasn't been properly stored as a lot of the old envelopes are yellowed. The earliest used envelope I've found was postmarked 1903. Most envelopes are empty.

Perhaps starting a thread exploring this collection will be certainly an adventure, but also a way to get me off my duff and begin some sort of inventory.

I'll begin this thread with this "Notice of Death" letter dated 1936. There is a letter inside the envelop, but I won't pull it out to read.

Notice of Death Letter.jpg

Notice of Death Back.jpg

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
There's hundreds of letters. But there's more - just to begin to show the diversity of the collection:

Honus Wagner FDC 1939.jpg

Honus Wagner FDC Back.jpg

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I thought I'd post this as an example of the writing style in 1904. I'm not going to scan pictures for the entire collection, I won't live that long. Just tidbits for the adventure!

1904 Writing Style.jpg

1904 Writing Style Back.jpg

Note the simplicty of life in 1904? The sender didn't even use an address for the recipient, just noted "City".

Last edited:
OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
To close out my morning scanning & posting, I have to go work on my bridge so I can get in and out of my driveway following the floods. When I was going through the collection, there were some I really liked - like these two here:

Princess Grace FDC 2 Stamp.jpg

Princess Grace FDC 3 Stamp.jpg

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Deepseeker,

Sounds like a winter project sorting through the collection....check with the library and see if the have the Scott Stamp catalogues there's 6 or 7 of them in the series....that will help to put them in order.

Regards + HH

Bill

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Post #4 is a First Day of Issue stamp and cover. First Day of Issues are a separate branch of stamp collecting though most FDIs (today) capture little premium. This FDI cover depicts George Herman (Babe) Ruth commemorating the 100th anniversary of baseball (1839-1939) postmarked in Cooperstown, NY (of course) on June 12, 1939.
For reference, the stamp is "US Scott #855")
Don...

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Post 6 is another FDI depicting th3 1956 Royal Wedding in Monoco.
Here's a pic of another FDI of the same event:

$(KGrHqR,!owFCqQzOFkOBQwOZGD2Lw~~60_1.JPG

The value is in the history, more than in the stamp or envelop; but it helps to teach others the history with the envelop in their hands.
Don......

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for looking Don. I know that the overwhelming majority of these stamps are only worth pennies. Your point of view & input from others is absolutely welcome.

Picture #4, the cover itself is Honus Wagner. The cover for Ty Cobb in this series is listed at $400 on Ebay (not that he will get that much). I haven't found one with Honus Wagner.

Last edited:

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I started collection in the early 50s, when Scotts Catalog consisted of two books: The Americas and the Rest of the World.
You've rattled my bones to consider getting my collection out of the garage and start a proper written inventory. In the past, I've given my 'extras' and monetary worthless stamps to our local Stamp Collecting Merit Badge counselor,but even he has switched-- to coins--since collecting stamps today is a dwindling hobby--unfortunately.
Don...

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I could only wish to own that autographed Wagner cover; it does have significant value. I do, however, have a shoe box filled with FDI from the 30s 40s and 50s that I haven't look at in years. No doubt, they too, are yellowed (or worse) by storage challenges.
Don....

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
In the later part of the 50's, Mom married my stepfather and he bought a distressed but very nice house. Every Sunday after church we hit the local city dump looking for building materials - so I guess I've been a treasure hunter since age 9. While looking, early on I found a box of old letters dating way back. And I started collecting stamps, also got into those "On Approval" packets. So, while they were hunting treasure, I started looking for stamps & letters in the dumps - saw my first Playboy mag there, but didn't take it home :(

I honor my memories of my collection then by figuring I must have had 50,000 stamps. Life went on, I forgot about my collection, and in '73 the house burned down taking my collection with it. I regretted that for many years. Thus when this collection was offered I didn't even hesitate to buy it. I put it away, forgot about it again, and I return to find the hobby has basically disappeared.

When I was looking through the collection, I'd find the mint blocks of 4 and look on Ebay to see what they were worth. And, I find pennies over face value....

I'd just as well use them for postage!

This is disappointing, but not for dreams of wealth with this collection. It's disappointing that so few people value the history of these.

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah the hobby has diminished, it just can't compete with the newer generations over electronic gizmos, but for us old timers it makes for something to fill in nasty winter days with, something besides TV, and it's still fun. One advantage for stamp collecting now is that acquiring material is very cheap, as there is little competition, and some valuables still emerge that bring a few bucks. That 1c in city delivery cover is a real hoot, the Postmaster knew everybody in town, and all that was needed was their name!

nh.nugget

Sep 3, 2013
e.rochester nh.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
whites, KEENE A52 sluice, 3" dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I too have a massive stamp collection started in the late 60's have enough to fill an 8x10 room. Some of those FDI's are a double collectable like your base ball FDI. It's a stamp and a Base ball collectable as well. Also you have FDI's that are cached meaning the picture on the envelope depicts the stamp look at the bottom of the picture for a name of the printer. Then check to see if it's a first one they printed that adds value as well. For example I have a first print of a company with a plate block it's worth around $135. Now just because it's a first depending on the printer it could be worth double or triple that price I got seven of them! Do your home work!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread