Todays Stamps worth more?

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today's Stamps worth more?

Just wondering if today's stamps (say 2000 & after) cause more people communicate by Computer than by US Mail & Many Businesses don't even use stamps.??

I figure they print much less than say in the 80's.
but
Likely still print Millions.

I have some stamps put up , I got a Starter book like the one on a post in 2014 , It has the Liberty Bell on the front got it in 1979-80 ,it came with a pack of "starter" stamps which I taped in the book over the Pictures provided. 'Bad move I know, but like many things they were likely worth more then than now even in mint condition:dontknow:.

Yep being a Hoarder / Collector I still have that book somewhere, also got a few diff, Stamps from the 80's -90's Some in mint cond, & many I saved a few years ago from mailed Envelopes. (Post-Marked) , Got a Page or 2 of those Young Elvis Stamps , bought a Senora Desert Page in 98-(I think) & but the CW Pages that were Printed in 2011, 2012 but did not get 2013, 2014 ,or 15.
Saw 2013 & 2014 for sale (Majestic Stamp Co) for like $20 + shipping. but ill bet I can find them Cheaper.
Also worked for Ted Turner (Construction Sub-Contractor ) in 2002 from mid Nov-Jan 1 2003 & at that time Christmas Cards were coming to his Flat & Office Building from all over the US , (To Employees) Sadly Most Ended up in the Trash that I took out everyday for that month or so ,my point is there were many Cool Designs of Higher Value Stamps $1-$5 + Air Mail types , I cut them from the Envelopes (neatly) & saved them Mostly cause they looked Cool & I like the Pictures.
Witch is really the only reason I save stamps , TMI likely Now on to coin's LOL.

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's all about supply and demand, not nearly as many collectors as 1975, and not many new-comers to the hobby either. The best values in the new stamps are the commemorative issues in used condition, they seem to bring as much or more, depending on the issue, as they originally cost at the PO. You can't soak them off with water anymore, and unless you want to play with chemicals they are being collected on the paper they were affixed to for postage, just trimmed with a small margin left so as to not damage the stamps. As far as definitive issues, except for a small hardcore group of collectors, there seems to not be much interest. There are so many varieties in the common First-Class and Forever issues because of all the different printers that most people just don't have the interest to sort them all out. It started with the Flag Over Porch (FOP) issues in 1996, and there are around 50 - 60 different varieties, some not fully recognized by Scott's, but still sought by collectors. Every common First Class stamp issue since then has been very complex to collect, which is fun for people like me, but a nightmare for most.

You broke the only rule in stamp collecting - "Don't use tape", but sounds like you did good with the high value stamps you managed to save.

Times are a changing, so many stamps and not much time, the reverse of how it was back in the 1930's, and if you enjoy looking at them collect what you like. You might want to look into mounting them the traditional way which doesn't damage the stamp, they are called "stamp hinges" and are not that expensive, $2 -$3 for a thousand.

Anyways, good luck with your collecting, it's really all about having fun and doing something you enjoy.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Yes, it's sad but true; the pace of society today has 'steamrolled' over stamp collecting; just as it is currently doing with playing golf. This kid of the '50s (me) learned more from stamps about historic people, places, and things than any school book ever did. I'm very grateful to stamp collecting and encourage it today by supplying my local Boy Scout Stamp Collecting Merit Badge counselor with free stamps to distribute to those young men going for that badge.
And if you collect stamps because they 'look cool' and you like the pictures--that's great-- no other reasons are necessary.
Don.....

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a massive collection from the 60s to the 80s but haven't done anything since. I have blocks and blocks of unused stamps but I like the pictures and the historic pictures that a lot of them portray.

alabama11

Nov 23, 2015
north Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett Frontiersman, Tesoro Ciboli , Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pin Pointer 2, Minelab Equinox 800, Panky.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hi Davers,
Got a question for you. What would you do with a 10 x 10 x 8 box of stamps that once belonged to a retired postal service employee who was born in 1903. My late wifes grandmother who had family in europe.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for reminding me about this post , A 11

Hi Davers,
Got a question for you. What would you do with a 10 x 10 x 8 box of stamps that once belonged to a retired postal service employee who was born in 1903. My late wifes grandmother who had family in europe.[/QUOTE

I also thank MD & SS & the other guy for their Reply's

To be honest alabama11 (not knowing much about Your Stamps & stamps in General).
I'd Keep them , at-least try to look them up & try to find out how much they are worth 'Street Value ,not Retail ) Actually learn Both.

If you have something rare & in great condition, if you need the money E-bey or Sell them to a Dealer.
BUT
Me being a Collector / Hoarder i'd likely keep them.

Post some pictures if you like.
Davers:thumbsup:

P.S.
Don't worry about Spelling with me at-least , If i'm to dumb to get your point in the context of the thread, I should not be on the Computer.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread