Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Rare UK Stamp Sells for over $700,000

CAIRO – A rare Plate 77 Penny Red stamp, one of five used examples known to philatelists, bought by an unnamed British collector for 495,000 pounds sterling (over $707,000), reported the Guardian on Thursday.

According to the newspaper, Plate 77 Penny Reds, which date from 1863, became the United Kingdom’s second most valuable stamp.

The sale was arranged by London-based dealers Stanley Gibbons, which said the Plate 77 Penny Red is one of only five used examples known to the world of philately – another of which is held in the British Museum.

Another Plate 77 Penny Red sold in 2012 for 550,000 pounds sterling, making it the UK’s most expensive stamp.
Source: Latin American Herald Tribune - Rare UK Stamp Sells for over $700,000
Don.......

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
SG43-Plate-77.jpg

Geez! Maybe I need to go back through my boxes!

But then, likely not.

OP
OP
Mackaydon

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
And I wonder how many of those stamps did I give away to the local stamp club when I donated a wastebasket full of unsorted stamps collected during the 50s.
At that time I dreaded the thought of trying to read the plate number on each of those cancelled stamps; so I just set the stamps aside (for 60 years) before donating them.
Hindsight is always 20/20.
Don..

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I was a stamp collector during childhood. In the late 50's & very early 60's my Mom & stepfather would go to the city dumps for building materials - re-did most of the old house with those materials, and I would search for trashed letters and the like. I built up a rather large collection in those times. But then I went to live somewhere else leaving my stamp collection behind. The house burned down in '72 taking my collection with it.

I think it was '92 and our very elderly next door neighbors were having a yard sale. My wife at the time ran in and told me I needed to go look at what they were selling. So I did. The old fellow had an entire table featuring his stamp collection - he'd been a collector since the end of World War I.

I was astounded! I asked what he wanted for all, but he wouldn't sell me all of it, he wanted to sell a lot of the Boy Scout related stuff separately - to someone else. But he did sell me the bulk of it for $275. It took me 5 wheelbarrow loads to get it all to my house.

Over the next year, I consolidated the collection into the 5 boxes I have now. I purchased a stamp collection software and over that year logged over 20,000 of the stamps into the database - and hadn't even touched the real numbers. And then my computer crashed while logging in stamps and corrupted the database. Thus all that work for naught. My marriage was in trouble - guess I had spent too much time looking at stamps. So, I lost the "fever", she divorced me, threw my Scott's to the curb, and kept possession of the collection until my son snuck it out and returned it to me about 5 years ago.

I remember during my cataloging finding a European stamp with a Scott's value of $150. But just a whole lot of bulk stamps - that was the most and about the only valuable one from the 20,000 I'd been through.

And I'm not really sure that all of the collection was returned to me - but it's the original 5 boxes I'd consolidated to.

Someday I'll get back to it. Maybe if I weren't so "addicted" to Treasurenet i'd find the time.....

I do marvel at a stamp selling for $700,000. Good gracious! Maybe the hobby isn't all that dead after all. I hope not.

OP
OP
Mackaydon

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I started collecting in the (early) 50s. I saw ads in magazines for "stamps on Approval--only 10 cents".
So I sent in my ten cents and receive booklets of stamps. I ignored the figures below each stamp (the price).
I only thought that if I 'approved' the stamps, I could keep them without paying a cent more.
This process continues for some time, and I amassed quite a collection--from various dealers--'on approval'.
Then I started receiving threatening letters from the dealers; I ignored them also.
Eventually, my mom intercepted one of several lawyer letters and soon thereafter I felt my dad's belt on my bottom.
So began (and almost ended) my stamp collecting hobby.
After working off the debt that summer at 25 cents per hour (the going rate for a preteen at the time) to repay my parents, I continued to collect, but only by swapping with other collectors. At that time, Scott's consisted of only two books; America and the British Commonwealth of Nations: and the rest of the world.
Don......

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Not to hijack this thread, but Stamp Collecting is a forgotten hobby and it shouldn't be. Since Stamp threads are a rarity, I feel we need a little spice here.

I'm not at all good at taking pictures, my hands shake.

But I just pulled one of the albums out, the album itself is dated 1935. Snapped some random pictures - did a lot of dupes, and chose the best ones. They still may not be all that crisp.

IMG_1156.JPG

IMG_1158.JPG

IMG_1160.JPG

IMG_1161.JPG

IMG_1163.JPG

It would be wonderful if our children would pick up on the hobby. My 3 are not interested, but my son was once upon a time. The collection will go to him at my passing.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I saw ads in magazines for "stamps on Approval--only 10 cents".
So I sent in my ten cents and receive booklets of stamps. I ignored the figures below each stamp (the price).
I only thought that if I 'approved' the stamps, I could keep them without paying a cent more.
This process continues for some time, and I amassed quite a collection--from various dealers--'on approval'.

I did that too :occasion14:

nh.nugget

Sep 3, 2013
e.rochester nh.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
whites, KEENE A52 sluice, 3" dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think we all did. Me it was the early 70's. Yep felt the wrath also! Still collect today I get alot from yard sales and flea markets cheap.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
You know guys, maybe stamp collecting isn't really dead after all.

This thread has had 173 views when I looked, so far.

jspero

Jul 25, 2006
East Coast USA
It's not totally dead yet. :) My 10 year old son is interested. Now if I can just KEEP him interested. He is ready to make his first purchase from an ad in Linn's. I think when he gets his first batch that he spent his own money on (not picking through Dad's doubles and seconds), it will hook him for a while.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
jspero, If you want, PM me your name and address and I'll mail you (or your son) more. Don.......

And I will do the same! There was a member on TNet who was getting a wheat cent collection going for his son. Another member responded that he would send him a few for the boy.

I did the same, but instead of wheats I sent him a bunch of '03 to abut '41 US stamps, probably 200. Unfortunately, I've never heard back.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread