depwraith

Jan 10, 2017
Pinellas Park, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 and a
Detector Pro Diver
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have an inherited stamp collection from my father that probably has thousands of old stamps. Some are in little books he made as a child (guessing 6 or 7...he was born in 1948, but I know a large majority of the stamps appear to be older ones) but for the most part, the majority of them are loose. It will be a long and tedious task going through each one, but I really don't think there's any other way to see if any are valuable. My question is, what is the best site to look individual stamps up to determine what they are and their values? Also, is there any type of "app" that will search based on a photo of the stamp? That being said, if I do find any of value, how should I store them? Thank you in advance for any assistance.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
In 1990 or thereabouts my 90 year old next door neighbor was having a garage sale, and in that sale was his stamp collection of 70 years. 5 cardboard boxes full of loose stamps.

I purchased a stamp collecting software database and went through hours and hours and hours over a full year identifying and sorting them, didn't even finish the first box, and then the software burped and I lost all of my work.

I still have those 5 boxes, in my searches I did find a Bulgarian stamp listed at $150. That was the highlight of the whole thing. But I never really went into those boxes again. It's very very time consuming, but fun. You can spend a lifetime looking at them. Unfortunately the hobby has fallen out of favor.

The main thing is, they were your father's. If you tried to sell them you'd get a pittance. Keep them to pass to your children.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread