HUGE Stamp collection need information

Rosecb

Greenie
Sep 9, 2019
N.Al- S.TN
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We recently acquired an extensive stamp collection through an estate sale. Over 100k is my best guess. This collection is not one country exclusive it has stamps from various countries across the globe. Mostly older, alot of new stamps(never used)and nearly as many I would assume collectibles, that have been previously used. We know absolutely nothing about any of it. Any information would we greatly appreciated. I realize the description is vague but ask me a question and I'll send pictures or do whatever I can to tell you whatever I can.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Please post a pic of the first page of USA stamps. Most likely, your USA collection will be the most valuable unless the collector specialized in other than USA stamps. Another pic of your unused ('mint') stamps would be appreciated.
Don........

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Your best bet is to have the collection appraised by a legitimate dealer. EVERYTHING depends on condition of the stamps and how they are mounted, stored. For the most part, stamp collecting has lost a lot of value compared to the 1960s and 70s, when a lot of us made good money buying and selling stamps. Spend the money for an appraisal. :occasion14:

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I've got ALOT of pictures. Not sure how to post?

Not sure what your screen looks like, but the menu bar in this Quick Reply, top right shows a picture icon. Click that and then scroll to your picture folder, pick one and post.

Very simple really....

OP
OP
R

Rosecb

Greenie
Sep 9, 2019
N.Al- S.TN
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pictures

IMG_1247.jpg IMG_1202.jpg IMG_1252.jpg

OP
OP
R

Rosecb

Greenie
Sep 9, 2019
N.Al- S.TN
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the suggestion! Any reputable names to look at getting an appraisal from ?

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Looks like that's an old time collection and pretty comprehensive. The major issue you face is that the stamp collecting hobby has fallen way out of favor with today's Americana. I wouldn't wish to hurt your feelings by throwing out an estimate. It really is a very small market today.

I'd do some looking around your area for some old time collectors for consultation - I've collected since I was a child and I'm 70 now.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the suggestion! Any reputable names to look at getting an appraisal from ?

Yellow pages baby! Wait, do Yellow Pages still exist? :thumbsup:

OP
OP
R

Rosecb

Greenie
Sep 9, 2019
N.Al- S.TN
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your not going to hurt my feelings with an estimate. I'd love to get an half way ballpark idea. I will do some looking for appraiser's near me I'm located in North Alabama. By the way they are by all means for sale if anyone wants to make an offer all I can say is no. Private message me if you need any contact information or more pictures or whatever and I'll give you my cell number. Thanks guys!

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
My collection sits in 5 large cardboard boxes, and I haven't opened those boxes in years - since I learned how far the hobby had fallen. Major disappointment in my life. They go to my kids......

But, I do still have hope for the hobby = maybe.... Antiquities like stamps could come back, and you're well set if they do.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Your not going to hurt my feelings with an estimate. I'd love to get an half way ballpark idea. I will do some looking for appraiser's near me I'm located in North Alabama. By the way they are by all means for sale if anyone wants to make an offer all I can say is no. Private message me if you need any contact information or more pictures or whatever and I'll give you my cell number. Thanks guys!

Technically, you MUST be a Charter Member to offer items for sale. Good Luck, and let us know what you find out.:icon_thumright:

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
A good place to start, check out local boy scout clubs. They used to offer merit badges for stamp collecting....

There was a young fellow on here about 5 years ago who was eager to learn about the hobby. I spent an entire evening going through my collection picking out dupes. Sent him a shoe box full of loose stamps. He hasn't been on here since, never got a thank you telling me he'd received them.

OP
OP
R

Rosecb

Greenie
Sep 9, 2019
N.Al- S.TN
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A good place to start, check out local boy scout clubs. They used to offer merit badges for stamp collecting....

There was a young fellow on here about 5 years ago who was eager to learn about the hobby. I spent an entire evening going through my collection picking out dupes. Sent him a shoe box full of loose stamps. He hasn't been on here since, never got a thank you telling me he'd received them.

That actually might be the best idea for them! Thanks!

TwoYewts

Oct 29, 2013
NorthEast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Fisher CZ-21, Makro Racer Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Rosecb,
Looks like you have yourself a nice large collection. I sent you a pm with some information if you are looking to sell it off. Hope the info helps!

-TwoYewts

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is jut a very rough guesstimate based on the pages you've posted. I've collected and bought and sold stamps on and off since about 1980 or so.

The pictures of the stamps you posted is pretty common material as far as I can tell ballpark if you went to a dealer is you'd only get about 5% or so of the catalogue value. I belong to several stamp clubs and most of them will make a free appraisal even if you are not a member as a public service.

You may want to try that option. You could get a much higher percentage if you're prepared to get involved and learn the stamp hobby, business but trust me there's a lot to learn and it can be very time consuming what with cataloguing, putting the stamps in order and trying to sell them off piecemeal through various channels.

Hope this helps you somewhat.

OP
OP
R

Rosecb

Greenie
Sep 9, 2019
N.Al- S.TN
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the information it has gave me new paths to try. I do appreciate it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread