Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi all!

I just wanted to announce that Steve's Detector Rods is nearing completion on a sand-scoop handle project! Many folks have asked me whether I produce scoop handles in the past, and each of these requests have kept me thinking, about at some point engaging in such a project. I'm happy to say, that this project is now approaching the stage where it begins to "bear fruit"

I anticipate one-piece handles becoming available initially, while testing is currently being done on a two-piece travel handle, as well. These will be very nice, heavy-duty handles, that will include

• "textured" finish, as found on some other models, allowing for non-slip gripping
  • foam-filled
  • a solid plastic "insert" inside the lower end of the tube (for extra reinforcement where the handle fits into the sleeve of the scoop)
  • soft PVC/vinyl handle.

Stay tuned!

Steve

scoophandle1.jpg

Last edited:

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi Steve,
Best of luck with the new product! One question, will there be a threaded insert in the lower part of the handle to install a bolt like on the Stealth Scoop design? Thanks!

OP
OP
sgoss66

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Rusty -- the first prototypes I've built, have been for T-Rex scoops. But, there is no reason at all that I can't install that threaded insert into that hard plastic core down there at the "sleeve end" of the handle, and then provide a bolt and washer.

I need to get the inside diameter of the different "sleeves" that are used on the various scoops; for the T-Rex scoops the handle is 35mm in diameter, but the lower few inches (the portion that inserts into the sleeve) will be CNC machined to 34.65mm to fit the T-Rex sleeve. This "machined" section of the tube can obviously be machined to the specific diameter of whatever scoop the handle is intended for. So, I'll need to get some measurements for the Stealth sleeve, the Xtreme sleeve, etc. (or the diameter of the lower part of the handle that fits in the sleeve, either way). Then -- some marine-grade stainless steel threaded inserts, bolts, and washers should make this basic design adaptable to WHATEVER scoop a customer may have. The basic design is ready to go...with prototypes completed...

More to follow...

Thanks!

Steve

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rusty -- the first prototypes I've built, have been for T-Rex scoops. But, there is no reason at all that I can't install that threaded insert into that hard plastic core down there at the "sleeve end" of the handle, and then provide a bolt and washer.

I need to get the inside diameter of the different "sleeves" that are used on the various scoops; for the T-Rex scoops the handle is 35mm in diameter, but the lower few inches (the portion that inserts into the sleeve) will be CNC machined to 34.65mm to fit the T-Rex sleeve. This "machined" section of the tube can obviously be machined to the specific diameter of whatever scoop the handle is intended for. So, I'll need to get some measurements for the Stealth sleeve, the Xtreme sleeve, etc. (or the diameter of the lower part of the handle that fits in the sleeve, either way). Then -- some marine-grade stainless steel threaded inserts, bolts, and washers should make this basic design adaptable to WHATEVER scoop a customer may have. The basic design is ready to go...with prototypes completed...

More to follow...

Thanks!

Steve

Forgive my ignorance as I've only been detecting less than two years. This may be what you describe above but how about an adaptor for the end of the handle to fit different scoops? Saves time in manufacturing and the handle can be used on different models with the appropriate adaptor.

Related question is whether there are any long-handled scoops without metal in them? Or only metal on the leading/cutting edge? (To minimize interference with the detector or PP with "dry" scooping.)

OP
OP
sgoss66

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
PetesPockets55 -- thanks for your message! Yes, you are essentially describing what I was talking about -- a way of "adapting" the end of the scoop handle to fit any number of scoops. Most sleeves, as I understand it, are roughly 1 3/8" in diameter; I believe the Stavr scoops may be about 1 1/4"; bottom line is that if my handle is slightly larger in diameter than any of the scoops' sleeves, but then the lowest few inches is "machined" smaller -- to whatever diameter is correct for each different scoop's sleeve, then yes -- just what you said would be the result. In other words, one basic handle, but with the lowest few inches "adapted" to whatever size of sleeve is used on the different scoops.

Here is a picture, to illustrate...

scoophandle.jpg

Steve

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the followup.
So you would have multiple adaptors that would all attach to your rod but accommodate different models of scoops?

SanMan

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2012
West Coast
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, AT Max, AT Gold - Tesoro Euro Sabre - Tesoro Bandido II uMax - Troy X2 - Tesoro Stingray - Mojave - Fisher 1280X- Fisher 1235X - and many more.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all!

I just wanted to announce that Steve's Detector Rods is nearing completion on a sand-scoop handle project! Many folks have asked me whether I produce scoop handles in the past, and each of these requests have kept me thinking, about at some point engaging in such a project. I'm happy to say, that this project is now approaching the stage where it begins to "bear fruit"

I anticipate one-piece handles becoming available initially, while testing is currently being done on a two-piece travel handle, as well. These will be very nice, heavy-duty handles, that will include

• "textured" finish, as found on some other models, allowing for non-slip gripping
  • foam-filled
  • a solid plastic "insert" inside the lower end of the tube (for extra reinforcement where the handle fits into the sleeve of the scoop)
  • soft PVC/vinyl handle.

Stay tuned!

Steve

Hello,.........

You the same Goss that worked at Compass back in the day?

OP
OP
sgoss66

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello,.........

You the same Goss that worked at Compass back in the day?

SanMan -- nope, different one. I've been asked that many times, but no -- no relation.

Thanks!

Steve

OP
OP
sgoss66

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
PetesPockets --

It's not "adapters" added onto the tube, it is making the tube smaller at the end, using a "machining" tool to reduce the diameter of the tube to the necessary dimensions. It would be done using the CNC machining process.

So, let's say that a T-Rex sand scoop's sleeve requires a tube of 34.75mm in diameter. But, let's say my scoop handles are all 35mm in diameter. So, for the T-Rex scoop, what I would do is have my tube producer "machine" the lowest 4" to 5" of the tube (the part that will slide into the scoop handle sleeve for attachment) -- reducing the diameter of that short length of the tube from 35mm down to 34.75mm. SO, what the end result would be, is a scoop handle that was 35mm in diameter, EXCEPT for that lowest few inches that needs to slide into the sleeve, with these lowest few inches being precision-machined to 34.75mm exactly. Obviously, that 34.75mm dimension would differ, based on the brand of scoop, but it would be easy to have my producer machine that section of the tube to WHATEVER dimension is needed. And thus, my basic 35mm handle would then be able to be used with ANY type of scoop, simply by adjusting the diameter to which the lowest few inches of the handle is machined down to.

Make sense?

Steve

Thanks for the followup.
So you would have multiple adaptors that would all attach to your rod but accommodate different models of scoops?

Last edited:
OP
OP
sgoss66

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
hammer --

Sounds good! I will definitely be rolling with them, by then. Which scoop are you needing one for? I will have the T-Rex-compatible ones ready soonest; as soon as I can get the stainless-steel threaded insert procured, from a reliable supplier, I'll then be able to start offering handles compatible with Stealth scoops (and others).

THANKS!
Steve

OP
OP
sgoss66

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi all! Just an update that I have a few one-piece scoop handles, optimized for T-Rex sand scoops, in stock, and will have a couple of two-piece ones available soon, as well. Please contact me for more information.

Thanks!

Steve

SolomonTDR

Jun 9, 2019
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm looking for a carbon fiber handle for a Sito scoop. Handle opening is 1.5"(38mm). Will you have a handle that will fit?

OP
OP
sgoss66

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting