Lost 40K in my TSP acct this year.................

mark.

Apr 13, 2006
OUCH!! That hurts.

I've been investing 20% in international stock, 20% in small cap & 60% in the S & P.

The other choices we have are bonds & the gov't "G" fund which is merely a savings acct.

Since the European market is run by 28-30 countries, I doubt they can agree on anything regarding stocks/mutual funds, so, I see the overseas markets in disarray for while.

.......I've decided to stop overseas investing & moving my investing ( payroll ) deductions back to the U.S. markets for a short while.

Anyone else doing something similar? ...or....are you sitting tight on your investments?

Why or why not?? ............see ya mark

OP
OP
mark.

mark.

Apr 13, 2006
Re: No comments......Are there any investors here??

auger

Oct 14, 2008
South Carolina
mark. said:
OUCH!! That hurts.

I've been investing 20% in international stock, 20% in small cap & 60% in the S & P.

The other choices we have are bonds & the gov't "G" fund which is merely a savings acct.

Since the European market is run by 28-30 countries, I doubt they can agree on anything regarding stocks/mutual funds, so, I see the overseas markets in disarray for while.

.......I've decided to stop overseas investing & moving my investing ( payroll ) deductions back to the U.S. markets for a short while.

Anyone else doing something similar? ...or....are you sitting tight on your investments?

Why or why not?? ............see ya mark

My IRA is distributed as follows: 40% S & P, 20% Growth, 20% Small Cap, and 20% Russell Multi-Style. It's been that way for years. We've been through good times, and bad times, together. Remember, unless you are very near retirement age, you are in it for the "long haul". I have noticed that when all else fails, bonds tend to rise slightly or at least experience a minimal loss during the same event. Not making any recommendations, just an observation. Also remember, any financial advice you get here will be worth exactly what you paid for it.

MD Dog

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2007
Please don't yell !
I've been investing in Stocks, Mutual Funds, Futures for many years. But as of late I have liquefied all my assets and am looking forward to retirement. My retirement investments are the very safe kinds. I like Land, Timber, and PMs for the long haul. I did for a while take a foray into the foreign currency exchange but because of all the market volatility I got out, I did make a 12% profit over a three year investment cycle. But that's pretty well offset by the 8% loss I've taken as of late before I managed to liquidate everything.

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
The G Fund looks the safest for awhile. People in a taxable fund have suffered
big paper losses but they still have the same number of shares. That didn't
go down so unless you want an actual loss ride out the storm. Govt employees
in the TSP have time to recover. I've seen lots of bear markets and beefing up
your contributions at these levels will help maximun your returns. lastleg

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I moved all of mine into the "G" fund some months ago. My partner stayed in the "S" fund (tracks the Wilshire 4500) and has lost thousands. I haven't gained much but I haven't lost a cent. :wink:

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
WSD, I'm sorry to hear that about your son.

...I think your post was an absolute classic and should be enshrined!

I mail drop for a friend. His 401k has lost 20% per quarter.
Those are probably the guys getting a big bonus, right?

...never ever have I said this before... now might be a good time to buy gold.
Metal, that is, NOT certificates for gold in a vault, somewhere. Yellow metal. to have and hold in your hand.

:thumbsup:

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A lot of your decision will be have to be based on your personal circumstances - you age, how long before you plan to retire, how soon you will need your money, how many liquid assets you have (I like the 8-10 month rule - and now maybe a little more, since the economic situation we are in is kind of unprecedented).

I still wouldn't touch the financials (sold them quite awhile ago), the bond market is in a mess, though it seems to be getting a tad better than it was just 5 or 6 days ago).

While I don't like the real estate market - I have been in reits for years, and are still paying a decent dividend. (though I pick my reits based on what they actually own - I like reits that deal with things like hospitals and necessary services).

I messed with currency too, but got out back when the Euro came in. It was just too manipulated at the time. (and messy now).

I did some overseas stocks, but pulled out when a friend of mine, who was in an overseas market, also, was screwed on a major basis, and they did not pay him his dividend (though they did pay a dividend), plus would not release the stock when he wanted to sell it.

Our friend filed a legal complaint, but the official reply after the commission had contacted the company, was that they didn't have the authority to MAKE them do the right thing, so I decided that might not be a good place to put my money.

But, you gotta do what's right for you.

B

ScoobaSteve

Nov 28, 2008
USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTX500
A good local investment would be "Future" public transportation -because although ti is low now- Oil is going to go up significantly and Iran just dumped billions int gold, oil piracy is growing and the mideast is becoming 300% more unstable.
Chinese Steel would be a great overseas investment. BTW China is leading on becoming green especially in the automotive industry.

Euro investing might be great on a 401k, but that is about it.
Spam..or better yet, Hormel Foods....If we hit a depression in the next couple of months, Hormel will go through the roof...Beer is always good too.

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
;D ;D ;D ;D

Alcohol (the kind you drink) is always a good investment - when times are good, people celebrate. When times are bad, they drown their sorrows. :o

B

cazar

Jul 4, 2005
mississippi, beaches of the pacific
Detector(s) used
whites beachhunter, dfx
I saw this topic and had to reply...my *safe* TSP in G fund has actually lost me 7600 this year...

looks like to me the safest investment is
a) savings bonds
b) gold n silver
c) cold hard cash
d) stocks that you know will go up
e) firearms ..and what not

just my 2 centavos worth...

happy holidays n seasons greetings

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
Ouch!
That hurts, Cazar!
Sry to hear that.

Silly me, I invested all along in bigger and better tools... for construction work!

My last completed project had to pay a tax bill $9k more than expected.
No $ for me on the last hours, and materials.
He's offered... power tools. NICE ones! JET brand and Rockwell/Delta for cabinet fabrication.
Pretty much what craigslist is loaded up with!

What to do?

Best
rmptr

simonds

Feb 4, 2005
Tioga Co. Pa.
rmptr,
In the past few weeks, in payment for doing carpenter work, I have received;
An Electric welder about 30 years old, ( I already have a better one about 10 years old.
A 2000 watt generator that didn't start about 30 years old, ( I already have a better one about 20 years old.
An old coal stove ( this one may be worth more than what my labor would have been) I plan on installing
it in my shop.
There are many people out there without the cash to spend. I really like to barter sometimes, but still need
some money coming in the pay my taxes and such.

Merry Christmas,
Clayton

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
Yessir, Simonds.

Barter is fine, if you are in a position to do it.
A friend is a great carpenter, and a real softie for a deal.

He's always broke, usually late on his rent if not being evicted, but he's got a flock of cars, trucks, boats, motorcycles, dune buggies... all a little bit older and kinda rough in some way or other...

I'd work for anything the landlord would accept in return, but the young ladies down at the rental office wouldn't get their cut if paid in anything but cash.

Ha Ha! When I first went in there, this little gal told me in no uncertain terms that under no circumstances would work ever be exchanged for rental fees due!
Prettiest gal I'd seen all day, and she was strictly business. and remains that way to this day.

As you say, people are pretty short on cash, but still need repair work done.
I'm about to consider trying to rustle up a deal on barter for a motorhome in exchange for remodel work.
Wouldn't mind closing the doors here and going over to Texas, while the fuel is still cheap.
Thing is, by the time a deal is made, and project completed, fuel probably gonna be through the roof again!

Can't win, for losin'

Best
rmptr

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't have, nor have I ever, had these funds.

What I find confusing, at best, is the fact that the Feds are shifting to TSP funds, but say this:

http://www.federaltimes.com/index.php?S=3766416

I can only conclude that the "G" fund was merely a part of an investment portfolio, as the other TSP funds seem to have not done so well?

B

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread