Self employed.. Retirement options - Page 3
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree79Likes

Thread: Self employed.. Retirement options

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Feb 2008
    Great Lakes State
    dirtfishing
    2719 times
    silver surfing
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    My big concern as I approach retirement age (57 y.o. lineman) is health insurance and advanced age care.
    My folks have set up a decent care home at the cost of $115k per year.
    The guys I work with are approaching their 30-year date with the company, most will retire before 50, and think with a $500k pension they’ll have it made. A serious health issue can leave one bankrupt just like that.
    A2coins and Megalodon like this.

us
    Jan 2017
    Troy Missouri
    That one I grab for the day.
    286 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    "History records that the money changers have used every form of abuse, intrigue, deceit, and violent means possible to maintain their control over governments by controlling money and it's issuance." — James Madison

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies.
    Already they have raised up a monied aristocracy that has set the government at defiance. The
    issuing power (of money) should be taken away from the banks and restored to the people to
    whom it properly belongs." — Thomas Jefferson
    A2coins likes this.

us
    Jan 2017
    Troy Missouri
    That one I grab for the day.
    286 times
    Found a couple more good ones, quotes from people smarter than I am that could see all this coming.

"This [Federal Reserve Act] establishes the most gigantic trust on earth. When the President [Wilson} signs this bill, the invisible government of the monetary power will be legalized....the worst legislative crime of the ages is perpetrated by this banking and currency bill." — Charles A. Lindbergh, Sr. , 1913

"Some people think the Federal Reserve Banks are the United States government's institutions.
    They are not government institutions. They are private credit monopolies which prey upon the people of the United States for the benefit of themselves and their foreign swindlers" — Congressional Record 12595-12603 — Louis T. McFadden, Chairman of the Committee on Banking and Currency (12 years) June 10, 1932

us
    Aug 2012
    New Mexico USA
    My Head
    1789 times
    Who owns the money is not the same as who controls the money.
    Investors give control to the banks. They do what they want within the Government's restrictions
    or when something goes haywire like when greed catches up.
    Not much is allowed to control private institutions or most corporations. When it's heard "Keep the Government out of business" a lot of people say Yes. But then the businesses do something that affects the people and the people have little legal leverage. A bank might get wrist slapped but the losers, the people, receive the damage.
    This is our system today. Pass new rules and the banks reinvent themselves and the language to take another bite of the apple.
    Chop wood..Carry water

us
    May 2018
    Maryland
    White's MXT Tesoro Cibola Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
    2523 times
    Quote Originally Posted by fistfulladirt View Post
    My big concern as I approach retirement age (57 y.o. lineman) is health insurance and advanced age care.
    The guys I work with are approaching their 30-year date with the company, most will retire before 50, and think with a $500k pension they’ll have it made. A serious health issue can leave one bankrupt just like that.
    This is why so many people wait until 65 to retire - to get Medicare. Easier said than done for those with very physical jobs though. Looked into the long-term care policy before retirement and decided against it since there are no controls over large future premium increases.
    fistfulladirt likes this.

Jun 2012
    Oklahoma
    Equinox 800, Ace 250
    338 times
    Quote Originally Posted by fistfulladirt View Post
    FistFull, Most people when considering health insurance are more worried about things on the front end...co-pays, deductibles, etc. The primary focus should be on the cap, or max out of pocket, if you have assets. That should be the point of insurance.
    fistfulladirt and Megalodon like this.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links