Storage Locker, Auction Finds?

artslinger

Jul 19, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought & sold unclaimed storage for 10 years till the TV shows came on, I'm an auctioneer.
I have plenty of finds to show.
Just seeing if there's any interest in a forum thread of its own?

Count me in. I'm pretty sure you have a lot of wonderful treasures! :-)

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have tried my hand at buying storage units but around here you have a lot of pre-sold units that you don't find out about until you get there. It sucks, and yes I would be interested.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love to see stuff.
That's why most of us are here.

Welcome to Tnet.

OP
OP
Carl995

Carl995

Apr 5, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love to see stuff.
That's why most of us are here.

Welcome to Tnet.

Well I wasn't sure as some frown upon it being peoples misfortunes. But in reality almost everything on this site is lost misfortunes, Rings, money, lost Dutchman, Most everything was owned by someone at one time.
At least with storage lockers personal items (pictures/paperwork) were returned & their unpaid storage bills get paid saving their credit. If their locker auctions for more than rent moneys owed, it goes to them.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Carl995

Carl995

Apr 5, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have tried my hand at buying storage units but around here you have a lot of pre-sold units that you don't find out about until you get there. It sucks, and yes I would be interested.

It takes time!! You have to learn which locations are honest & keep it to yourself. Also know what signes to look for.

OP
OP
Carl995

Carl995

Apr 5, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Count me in. I'm pretty sure you have a lot of wonderful treasures! :-)

I have bought a lot of units that turned out to be trash, but I bought a few that were fantastic?
Unlike the TV shows where every unit has a treasure!!

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Well I wasn't sure as some frown upon it being peoples misfortunes. But in reality almost everything on this site is lost misfortunes, Rings, money, lost Dutchman, Most everything was owned by someone at one time.
At least with storage lockers personal items (pictures/paperwork) were returned & their unpaid storage bills get paid saving their credit. If their locker auctions for more than rent moneys owed, it goes to them.
Sure i am interested .... And like you said and it is the truth .. Every one on these treasure web sites thrives on other's misfortunes .. And really are pretty happy when they find a lost item ..

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
What happened did the TV show's put you out of the storage locker buying ?

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My best Storage Auction find was back in the mid 1990s. It was in Santa Ana, Ca. There were only five or six bidders. They cut the lock on the unit, and when they rolled up the door, we saw several loading pallets, two folding chairs, a scale, two kilos of what looked like coke, and a stack of $100s about six inches high. I immediately bid $5. They guy rolled the door back down and said to move on because he had to call the cops. I stayed. When he asked why I wasn't going to the next unit, I said we should split the cash before he called the cops. Let them have the coke. He said he couldn't do that. I said Okay and stayed there. When he asked why I was still there, I told him that if we split the cash, I would move on. Otherwise, I would stand there until the cops showed up. I knew he wanted me to leave so he could take everything. He was greedy and didn't get squat. When the cops showed up, we had a nice talk. When I watched them inventory and write down how much money was there (a tad under $60K), I moved on.

Another time in San Bernardino, an old guy bought a unit that was packed full, floor to ceiling, and front to back. I had bought one next to his. As he was cleaning it out, he found three blue 55 gal drums in the back. When he opened one, we had to evacuate the place as all three drums were full of freshly cooked meth. Smelled like a gasoline tanker had sprung a leak.

Those are my two best Storage Auction Stories.

Mike

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
My best Storage Auction find was back in the mid 1990s. It was in Santa Ana, Ca. There were only five or six bidders. They cut the lock on the unit, and when they rolled up the door, we saw several loading pallets, two folding chairs, a scale, two kilos of what looked like coke, and a stack of $100s about six inches high. I immediately bid $5. They guy rolled the door back down and said to move on because he had to call the cops. I stayed. When he asked why I wasn't going to the next unit, I said we should split the cash before he called the cops. Let them have the coke. He said he couldn't do that. I said Okay and stayed there. When he asked why I was still there, I told him that if we split the cash, I would move on. Otherwise, I would stand there until the cops showed up. I knew he wanted me to leave so he could take everything. He was greedy and didn't get squat. When the cops showed up, we had a nice talk. When I watched them inventory and write down how much money was there (a tad under $60K), I moved on.

Another time in San Bernardino, an old guy bought a unit that was packed full, floor to ceiling, and front to back. I had bought one next to his. As he was cleaning it out, he found three blue 55 gal drums in the back. When he opened one, we had to evacuate the place as all three drums were full of freshly cooked meth. Smelled like a gasoline tanker had sprung a leak.

Those are my two best Storage Auction Stories.

Mike
Did you ever get a good locker ?

OP
OP
Carl995

Carl995

Apr 5, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What happened did the TV show's put you out of the storage locker buying ?

Every pencil pusher that had (note had) a nest egg or cashed out CD's came out & bought everything no matter what it cost.
Attendance went from 20-30 people to 200-300!!!

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Every pencil pusher that had (note had) a nest egg or cashed out CD's came out & bought everything no matter what it cost.
Attendance went from 20-30 people to 200-300!!!
That is what these realty shows do screw things up for us .... storage shows screwed you buyers and detecting shows only help out the detector dealers ..

OP
OP
Carl995

Carl995

Apr 5, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK here an early one I bought. It was getting late (kind of dark out), they opened a 5X5 small unit. It had about 10 gas RC airplanes in it. I bought it for $200.
After I paid for my units, went back to that unit for a simple load, it was dark, I got them loaded, I always go back in the unis to make sure I got everything, banged the wood walls & I heard something fall.

Went back to the truck, got my flashlight & went back in. 1 wall was black & to my surprise it was a 5X10, second half being stage equipment!!!! I got my truck spare tire, carefully got down the top units & loaded it all. Heres pictures of the equipment after I dropped it off at the auction I auctioneered at.

Crazy isn't it??

View attachment 1202588

View attachment 1202671

Last edited:
OP
OP
Carl995

Carl995

Apr 5, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought & sold unclaimed storage for 10 years till the TV shows came on, I'm an auctioneer.
I have plenty of finds to show.
Just seeing if there's any interest in a forum thread of its own?

I bought a 15' landscaping trailer for 2K. Had 5' walls professionally welded on. $650.
Between the truck & trailer & could almost move a 3/4 full 10X20. Jed Clampett style!!
Guns, jewelry & artwork go in the cab of the truck!
On the monster lockers 30X40 I paid a friend that has a moving service, 4 huge box type trucks.

View attachment 1202590

View attachment 1202592

View attachment 1202593

View attachment 1202594

View attachment 1202595

Last edited:
OP
OP
Carl995

Carl995

Apr 5, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought a large 10X30 indoor, climate controlled unit for $670.
I saw inwall cabinets with small windows & around the door edge was the top of a bust head.
I wasn't sure what the contents were.
The next day I drove inside the bldg & started loading & it turned out to be a Native American Museum packed in there!!
A ceremonial bed made of human skin (in the picture under the crude clothing), Many items not shown in the pictures, lots of head masks, statues, rugs,blankets,tapestries etc.
The auction house owner (auctioning) got to the 1st mask & assumed it was something from Big Lots or Pier 1 & asked for $20, then $10. & all the sudden
he was at $350.. The next mask he started it $200 & went up!!! over 20 masks!!!
Very unusual stuff!!
View attachment 1202668

View attachment 1202669

View attachment 1202670

Last edited:

Baltimore

Feb 18, 2013
Maryland/Vermont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
now that the show's been cancelled (I think?) I'm hoping that in a few years it'll die down again. I'd love to try it, but I'm definitely not interested in paying hyped up prices.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought a large 10X30 indoor, climate controlled unit for $670.
I saw inwall cabinets with small windows & around the door edge was the top of a bust head.
I wasn't sure what the contents were.
The next day I drove inside the bldg & started loading & it turned out to be a Native American Museum packed in there!!
A ceremonial bed made of human skin (in the picture under the crude clothing), Many items not shown in the pictures, lots of head masks, statues, rugs,blankets,tapestries etc.
The owner (auctioning) got to the 1st mask & assumed it was something from Big Lots or Pier 1 & asked for $20, then $10. & all the sudden
he was at $350.. The next mask he started it $200 & went up!!! over 20 masks!!!
Very unusual stuff!!
View attachment 1202616

View attachment 1202618

View attachment 1202619
Pics aren't coming up, we need pics! lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread