Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Brother in law talked me into go to another storage auction. Ended up winning 4 units at 5 dollars each.

First one was a bust. Nothing but 1 Eisenhower Dollar, 1 kennedy half, 1 gold color quarter and 1 president dollar coin.

Second one still going thru. So far 8 Eisenhower dollars, Canadian coin. Tin pressed made in Japan friction bus. Good 70s records about 20. Vintage Boy scout uniforms. Possible good Pioneer stereo maybe damaged. Will continue to clean out tomorrow.

3 and 4 still pending but not expecting to much. Brother in law got caught up in the hype.

Keith Jackson

Aug 12, 2016
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Brother in law talked me into go to another storage auction. Ended up winning 4 units at 5 dollars each.

First one was a bust. Nothing but 1 Eisenhower Dollar, 1 kennedy half, 1 gold color quarter and 1 president dollar coin.

Second one still going thru. So far 8 Eisenhower dollars, Canadian coin. Tin pressed made in Japan friction bus. Good 70s records about 20. Vintage Boy scout uniforms. Possible good Pioneer stereo maybe damaged. Will continue to clean out tomorrow.

3 and 4 still pending but not expecting to much. Brother in law got caught up in the hype.

Well, for $5 each, it is kind of hard to not at least try.

SDIceMan

Nov 12, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beans, I have to agree with Keith - nothing ventured, nothing gained. Promising looking storage units in California rarely go for under $250 from my experience. Even in my new hometown in Southern New Mexico, I'm lucky to get a decent unit for under $250. One place I did find fair prices was Cheyenne, Wyoming. Full 10' x 30' units with a nice layer of dust on all the contents (indicating age and having been undisturbed) were selling for less than $100! Unfortunately, I wound up being just a spectator at that auction. I was on a road trip, and any profit potential would have been negated by the cost of renting a monster U-Haul truck to get it all home. The same guy bought 3 units that size, all defaulted on by the same previous owner, if I remember correctly. Probably kept him busy for months.

OP
OP
Beans

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Continuation: Finished the second unit. One Franklin 50 cent, one 1937 Buffalo, one quarter 1946, one war nickle. The Pioneer system was toast. May be able to salvage the receiver and amp. Speaker so bad even goodwill would not take them. Old boy scout uniform and badges.

Unit 3. Just as bad as the first one only not even any money.

Unit 4. Little better, old mantle clock, kind of old Marantz stereo and speakers. More records, some Marksman awards/badges. AND.....a Presentation Bayonet with a name still working one with the date of 1875.

Overall a good experience. $20 investment, 2 days of dirty work, run off by Good will. Would do it again only with a bigger pickup.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
What were they really small lockers ? You could get it all in a pick up.

OP
OP
Beans

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What were they really small lockers ? You could get it all in a pick up.

I think 3 were 5 x 10 and the other was larger with the garage type door. They were pretty full, but by looking in them you could tell there was not much. Only hope was the good small stuff. I got the Marantz stereo cleaned trying to decide if I want it or not. Did continues to search in the small bags of stuff and came up with a couple more silver coins.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread