Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had posted that I won a couple of storage units at an auction a while back. In one of the units was a Marantz Stereo Receiver with two speakers, a Hatichi Turntable, Pioneer Amp and Tape deck. The turntable needed a new belt and just got it in today. 3 minutes to fix. Now theses are not modern stuff but works and sounds great. So have really turned that 5 bucks into a nice system. Now I have to either buy out my brother in law's half or sell. Up in the air on that now. I think I could get a least $250 so I would have to pay 125 to my brother in law. UNLESS I tell him we could only get 100 for it. Hmmmmm what to to, what to do.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Dang, I hadn't heard of Marantz since the mid-80's. ...And yes, I "do" lead a sheltered life. :tongue3:

OP
OP
Beans

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dang, I hadn't heard of Marantz since the mid-80's. ...And yes, I "do" lead a sheltered life. :tongue3:

I am surprised at the number of people who have never heard of Marantz. Back in the 70s and 80s if you had a Marantz you were king. Still testing the system but here is a picture of stereo stuff. DSC07166.JPG side ways picture ?????

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
I had posted that I won a couple of storage units at an auction a while back. In one of the units was a Marantz Stereo Receiver with two speakers, a Hatichi Turntable, Pioneer Amp and Tape deck. The turntable needed a new belt and just got it in today. 3 minutes to fix. Now theses are not modern stuff but works and sounds great. So have really turned that 5 bucks into a nice system. Now I have to either buy out my brother in law's half or sell. Up in the air on that now. I think I could get a least $250 so I would have to pay 125 to my brother in law. UNLESS I tell him we could only get 100 for it. Hmmmmm what to to, what to do.

Most would say the fact that it's not modern is what makes it desirable.

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
I have been looking for an old school stereo system for quite awhile myself. Great score. But.. if you're looking for folks to tell you it's ok to rip off your brother/partner... I'm not that guy

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I had my two speaker towers and a rack full of old school stereo equipment out in the shop and hadn't been using it for 20 years (25 year old system) I hooked it all up the other day and played some vinyl and was Blown Away!
How incredible it all sounded! Compared to the small sound today's tiny electronics make this sounded like the band was in the shop!
I have a Marantz Superscope that I purchased in the 70's, out in my other shop that weighs in at about 10 pounds.
Still works great.

foiler

Mar 17, 2013
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Wilson-Neuman, Whites, Minelab, Tesoro and others I've long since forgotten
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm still using a Kenwood KR7600 with 2 Acoustic Research Optimus speakers all from the mid 70's. The clarity is superlative. The speakers I bought in 1970 the amp in 1976. Haven't done a thing to either of them and they work everyday, just like me.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
That is awesome foiler! I remember the AR speakers. In th 70's my Brother used to play his P-Bass through his stereo receiver, a Harmon Kardon, I believe, that weighed in at about 25 lbs.

Harmon_Kardon_330C_Stereo_Receiver_web.jpg

Last edited:

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
I know there's people who swear that LP's have a better sound than modern media, but still can't help but wonder how much of that is the older-style equipment that the LP's play on.

OP
OP
Beans

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know there's people who swear that LP's have a better sound than modern media, but still can't help but wonder how much of that is the older-style equipment that the LP's play on.

I was selling at the Flea Market this weekend. Along with the Marantz I was selling LPs from the same era 70s. One guy buys a couple of records and I ask him to make sure they are in good condition (I already knew they were) just wanted him to make sure. He said he has a couple of thousand dollars worth of Media equiptment vintage and modern and still like the LPs best. If one has a small scratch and you get that little click from the scratch it is just all the better.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
See, I'm the opposite. Those little scratches drove me nuts! The way I saw it, there weren't skips or scratches when I'd sing or when playing my instrument in band, so there shouldn't be any skips or scratches when listening to it. ...But that's just me. :tongue3:

Another thing that irks me are newer car stereos. Why all the buttons? Same goes for the A/C and heat controls. Used to be I could be driving and know what I'm doing just by feel. Just too much stuff there now, and it mostly feels the same. ...Sorry - off-topic again! :BangHead:

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Marantz was/is top notch equipment!
Give the BIL $2.50, tell him your keeping it. :laughing7:

I still have an old '70's radio, turntable, 8-track system, I can rattle the windows in my home,
and my neighbors windows, too! :laughing7:

OP
OP
Beans

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Marantz was/is top notch equipment!
Give the BIL $2.50, tell him your keeping it. :laughing7:

I still have an old '70's radio, turntable, 8-track system, I can rattle the windows in my home,
and my neighbors windows, too! :laughing7:

I turned it up just a little and was told to turn it down at the inside flee market.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread