Storage Wars ...

Kansas_Jayhawk

Mar 11, 2017
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 and Tesoro Silver uMicromax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay I love to watch Storage Wars ... some of the things they find are interesting.

Most interesting is the "digging through the junk" and they state what they can get out of it. Some items okay sounds reasonable. But others - I really have to question the value they quote. Example - the last episode I saw Renee bought a locker full of old electronics and games. He had a guy with him telling him what some of the games were worth - talking about pre Xbox games ... crud older than a N64 system. Probably a generation or two after pong. :laughing7:

Anyhow - are their values reasonable or bloated?

Geobound

Feb 21, 2017
Ontario
Detector(s) used
XP Deus (2019)
Fisher CZ-21 (2019)
CTX 3030 (April 2017)
AT Pro
Garrett Carrot
Pro Pointer
Stavr Scoop Moonstrik 6
Stealth 720i (BNIB)
Home made beach scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Their values (just like their surprise finds) are fake, and not to be believed.

I know crew members who work on the show, and they state that a lot of their finds have been planted.

Sometimes the bidders don't actually know what's in the lockers, but the production staff do.

As for prices........hell I could state publicly that I could get $1200.00 all day long for an object, but until said object is sold and cash in hand...........it's worth only what YOU would pay for it.

The only reality in Reality shows is the reality of them making us stupider and stupider by watching a lot of this trash.

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I saw the same episode and know they are bloated. You only can get what someone will pay. I never have seen them sell anything, after appraisal they walk away with said item. I know they are "in it for the money" so why would they not sell to someone who gives them appraisal?

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do know that Darrel Sheets had about 500 items on eBay, I'll guess he bought them at storage units.

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kind of explains why most of them seem to be on hard times and/or bankrupt.

bilder

May 16, 2017
Southwest Oregon
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Teknetics Patriot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I worked for an auction company in Alaska and we were approached about doing an episode or two for one of the storage shows. After hearing what was involved, we declined, but a rival auctioneer did an episode.

All the "treasures" they found inside the units came from the auction house or the storage company. The units were duds, so they went in and planted stuff that we all knew was on display at the auction house and had been for months.

The only people who do well at storage auctions are folks who either have thrift stores or are very, VERY selective on which units they bid on.

ky keith

Dec 23, 2008
Ft. Myers Florida/ Western N.C.
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Minelab Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did anyone ever notice that there could be 100 people at the auction, but NO ONE ever wins a unit but one of the "stars' ?

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I worked for an auction company in Alaska and we were approached about doing an episode or two for one of the storage shows. After hearing what was involved, we declined, but a rival auctioneer did an episode.

All the "treasures" they found inside the units came from the auction house or the storage company. The units were duds, so they went in and planted stuff that we all knew was on display at the auction house and had been for months.

The only people who do well at storage auctions are folks who either have thrift stores or are very, VERY selective on which units they bid on.

I have had a little luck here in a small town. When the paper announces the owner of the to-be-auctioned unit, I have had luck calling the person.... helps when you know them. A couple of times I returned family valuables and/or made a deal/trade on stuff they really wanted back... or never realized it was in storage!

Luckily the "storage wars" guys and girls make around 25-30 thousand per episode, not bad.
Drama sells!
Yuuuuuup!!:laughing7:

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
They found a stereo opticon set (Tour of the World, I believe) that I have on hand and the appraiser on this episode estimated their value at $650.
I sure hope that's right.

Doubter in MD

Bronze Member
Jan 18, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Did anyone ever notice that there could be 100 people at the auction, but NO ONE ever wins a unit but one of the "stars' ?
I'm not sure about that. If someone not affiliated with the show wins a locker they probably just don't air it.

OP
OP
K

Kansas_Jayhawk

Mar 11, 2017
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 and Tesoro Silver uMicromax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
....AAHHH , the miracle of editing !

Yes 50 people where they are selling 20 lockers and 3 or 4 of the regulars get one. Not all that unexpected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Of course they also pay way too much for the units. Seriously you can see maybe $100, yard sale value of stuff and they'll pay $1500. Oh, wait, I forgot, they know high end stuff has been planted.

As far as the video games go, I believe they only knew half of the story. Several years ago a woman did sell her kids old NES with games and it brought huge $$$ on eBay. It wasn't the NES that was valuable. Rather one game that flopped. Probably 99% of the cartridges ended up in the landfill. So for hardcore gamers, this game was the holy grail.

sghpi

Jun 20, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I buy units all the time usually for around .30-.40 cents on the dollar. There is junk for sure, but it usually works out.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They found a stereo opticon set (Tour of the World, I believe) that I have on hand and the appraiser on this episode estimated their value at $650.

Don't bet the farm on it!! Most values show on the show are B.S. and will not be realized in real life.

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All depends on condition and subject matter! There are definitely rare and desirable cards that could fetch more than that. Think Famous people like Lincoln

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Of course they also pay way too much for the units. Seriously you can see maybe $100, yard sale value of stuff and they'll pay $1500. Oh, wait, I forgot, they know high end stuff has been planted.

As far as the video games go, I believe they only knew half of the story. Several years ago a woman did sell her kids old NES with games and it brought huge $$$ on eBay. It wasn't the NES that was valuable. Rather one game that flopped. Probably 99% of the cartridges ended up in the landfill. So for hardcore gamers, this game was the holy grail.

Yeah, that was the E.T. game. had it as a kid, it SUUUUUUCKED! Of course, anything I throw away is going to be worth big $$$, LOL

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, that was the E.T. game. had it as a kid, it SUUUUUUCKED! Of course, anything I throw away is going to be worth big $$$, LOL

E.T. was for the Atari system, not the NES.

My nephew codes NES games. He revived E.T. a while back, I think he did it on a lark, but even those are collectible. A couple of them are currently for sale on ebay.

KHan games.

Last edited:

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
E.T. was for the Atari system, not the NES.

My nephew codes NES games. He revived E.T. a while back, I think he did it on a lark, but even those are collectible. A couple of them are currently for sale on ebay.

KHan games.

Yes, its on Atari. I have a copy and he is right about one thing - it does suck. Great game if you enjoy getting stuck in holes, though.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread