Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Storage Wars ...

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Mar 2017
    Colorado
    Fisher F75 and Tesoro Silver uMicromax
    66 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Storage Wars ...

Okay I love to watch Storage Wars ... some of the things they find are interesting.

Most interesting is the "digging through the junk" and they state what they can get out of it. Some items okay sounds reasonable. But others - I really have to question the value they quote. Example - the last episode I saw Renee bought a locker full of old electronics and games. He had a guy with him telling him what some of the games were worth - talking about pre Xbox games ... crud older than a N64 system. Probably a generation or two after pong.

Anyhow - are their values reasonable or bloated?

ca
    Feb 2017
    Ontario
    CTX 3030 (April 2017) AT Pro Garrett Carrot Pro Pointer Stavr Scoop Moonstrik 6 Stealth 720i (BNIB) Home made beach scoop
    464 times
    Their values (just like their surprise finds) are fake, and not to be believed.

I know crew members who work on the show, and they state that a lot of their finds have been planted.

Sometimes the bidders don't actually know what's in the lockers, but the production staff do.

As for prices........hell I could state publicly that I could get $1200.00 all day long for an object, but until said object is sold and cash in hand...........it's worth only what YOU would pay for it.

The only reality in Reality shows is the reality of them making us stupider and stupider by watching a lot of this trash.
    WarBaby, AARC, T.C. and 4 others like this.
    Treasure is where you find it, trash is where they left it.

John

Charter Member
    us
    Feb 2015
    Oklahoma
    3805 times
    I saw the same episode and know they are bloated. You only can get what someone will pay. I never have seen them sell anything, after appraisal they walk away with said item. I know they are "in it for the money" so why would they not sell to someone who gives them appraisal?
    Tell me and I'll forget. Show me, and I may not remember. Involve me, and I'll understand. - Tribe Unknown. Those that lie down with dogs, get up with fleas. - Blackfoot

Charter Member
    us
    Wolf Pack!

Jan 2014
    Brookings-Harbor Oregon
    Bounty hunter gold digger Keene A52. Keene A52P Bazooka mini. Prospectors choice clean up sluice. Fish oil and Crisco... Blue Bowl Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
    7978 times
    I do know that Darrel Sheets had about 500 items on eBay, I'll guess he bought them at storage units.

Freedom is something that dies unless it's used.

A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government.

A student said to his master, "You teach me fighting, but you talk about peace. How do you reconcile the two?"
    The master replied, "It is better to be a warrior in a garden, than to be a gardener in a war."

us
    May 2009
    NC USA
    Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT, Garrett Infinium
    2471 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (5)
    Kind of explains why most of them seem to be on hard times and/or bankrupt.

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2017
    Southern California, outside of San Diego
    400 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Oregon Viking View Post
    I do know that Darrel Sheets had about 500 items on eBay, I'll guess he bought them at storage units.
    ....My Brother and I grew up with Darrel and his brother , Tim(othy) Sheets. Couldn't stand 'em ! Racist , bombastic b☆tt heads.
    The kicker ? Parent remarried with the name, White.
    Last edited by 4x4x4; May 11, 2017 at 08:39 PM.
    The_Piratess likes this.

us
    May 2017
    Southwest Oregon
    Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Teknetics Patriot
    78 times
    I worked for an auction company in Alaska and we were approached about doing an episode or two for one of the storage shows. After hearing what was involved, we declined, but a rival auctioneer did an episode.

All the "treasures" they found inside the units came from the auction house or the storage company. The units were duds, so they went in and planted stuff that we all knew was on display at the auction house and had been for months.

The only people who do well at storage auctions are folks who either have thrift stores or are very, VERY selective on which units they bid on.

us
    Dec 2008
    Ft. Myers Florida
    Garrett AT pro
    14 times
    Did anyone ever notice that there could be 100 people at the auction, but NO ONE ever wins a unit but one of the "stars' ?
    Beans and diggummup like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Wolf Pack!

Jan 2014
    Brookings-Harbor Oregon
    Bounty hunter gold digger Keene A52. Keene A52P Bazooka mini. Prospectors choice clean up sluice. Fish oil and Crisco... Blue Bowl Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
    7978 times
    Quote Originally Posted by bilder View Post
    I worked for an auction company in Alaska and we were approached about doing an episode or two for one of the storage shows. After hearing what was involved, we declined, but a rival auctioneer did an episode.

All the "treasures" they found inside the units came from the auction house or the storage company. The units were duds, so they went in and planted stuff that we all knew was on display at the auction house and had been for months.

The only people who do well at storage auctions are folks who either have thrift stores or are very, VERY selective on which units they bid on.
    I have had a little luck here in a small town. When the paper announces the owner of the to-be-auctioned unit, I have had luck calling the person.... helps when you know them. A couple of times I returned family valuables and/or made a deal/trade on stuff they really wanted back... or never realized it was in storage!

Luckily the "storage wars" guys and girls make around 25-30 thousand per episode, not bad.
    Drama sells!
    Yuuuuuup!!
    RustyGold likes this.

Freedom is something that dies unless it's used.

A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government.

A student said to his master, "You teach me fighting, but you talk about peace. How do you reconcile the two?"
    The master replied, "It is better to be a warrior in a garden, than to be a gardener in a war."

Charter Member
    us
    Aug 2013
    SoCal
    XP Deus Sovereign GT Omega 8500 Patriot
    2759 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    They found a stereo opticon set (Tour of the World, I believe) that I have on hand and the appraiser on this episode estimated their value at $650.
    I sure hope that's right.
    "Today" is a great find!

us
    Jan 2013
    Maryland
    Bounty Hunter
    671 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by ky keith View Post
    Did anyone ever notice that there could be 100 people at the auction, but NO ONE ever wins a unit but one of the "stars' ?
    I'm not sure about that. If someone not affiliated with the show wins a locker they probably just don't air it.

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2017
    Southern California, outside of San Diego
    400 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ky keith View Post
    ....AAHHH , the miracle of editing !
    "GIVE ME ANALOG , OR GIVE ME DEATH"

... Walks on flaming Pop tarts ...

us
    Mar 2017
    Colorado
    Fisher F75 and Tesoro Silver uMicromax
    66 times

Storage Wars ...

Quote Originally Posted by 4x4x4 View Post
    ....AAHHH , the miracle of editing !
    Yes 50 people where they are selling 20 lockers and 3 or 4 of the regulars get one. Not all that unexpected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us
    Do not forget me 24601

Oct 2011
    Indiana
    Bounty Hunter Mark IV
    442 times
    Metal Detecting
    Of course they also pay way too much for the units. Seriously you can see maybe $100, yard sale value of stuff and they'll pay $1500. Oh, wait, I forgot, they know high end stuff has been planted.

As far as the video games go, I believe they only knew half of the story. Several years ago a woman did sell her kids old NES with games and it brought huge $$$ on eBay. It wasn't the NES that was valuable. Rather one game that flopped. Probably 99% of the cartridges ended up in the landfill. So for hardcore gamers, this game was the holy grail.

Jun 2017
    I buy units all the time usually for around .30-.40 cents on the dollar. There is junk for sure, but it usually works out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links