Jyorsky

Sep 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
MXT PRO
AT GOLD
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I stumbled across 3 storage lockers 1, 12 x 40 and 2 12 x 80, that were end to end...previous owners had been paying for over 10 years...
5 total vehicles, with 3 throw aways, 2 each Buick Grand Nationals. I paid owner $500 and paid back rent, and ended up paying rent for one year.
Invested well over $6000 for rent and dumpsters, 2 each, as a lot of items were roached out and rat infested, and mouse infested....mostly dead crittrters......long and hard work for a year......
Made my money back, but boy what a night mare it was......
the lockers were literally stacked to the ceilings, with abandoned tires, old rolled insulation, tools, furniture in boxes, dishes and collectibles in boxes.
did I may a profit....yes...was it very hard work...yes...would I do it again....don't know...........

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Always hafta consider: Your time is money!

The most elusive commodity ever, no one makes it, you can't store or save it, or even touch it.
So one should always value their time wisely.

With that said, I'm kinda sorta in the middle of a similar scenario, time vs things, arghhh, lol.
Right now, I'd rather be on my beloved beach with gold in the scoop and a refreshing adult beverage in hand, but alas, it may not be a storage locker, but I've already filled up 2 1/2 community dumpsters.....
Ppl, pls don't "save" things, use and enjoy them. That's better than having your "things" end up in the trash.
Time vs things....... :BangHead: :icon_scratch: :dontknow:

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just bid on a cleanout property for a bank. Its been empty since November, but will take 5 or 6 thirty yard dumpsters and lots of hard work to clean up. Way in the back of the property is an old shed filled to the top with tools and craftsman toolboxes....I can't wait to see what awaits me in the house if this was out in the shed....:icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
J

Jyorsky

Sep 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
MXT PRO
AT GOLD
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What exactly is or means to bid bid a clean out property, was it a house or commercial bldg......
How does one get on bid list for something like that?

OP
OP
J

Jyorsky

Sep 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
MXT PRO
AT GOLD
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do u need help?? Lol

seekerGH

Jan 25, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What exactly is or means to bid bid a clean out property, was it a house or commercial bldg......

You bid to clean it up and haul everything away.

Many hope that they will find something valuable in the mess.

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bid it with the intent to find something valuable but not the promise of a find. So its mostly houses that I clean. foreclosures, forfeitures, evictions, family deaths. I always come out ahead and with plenty of neat things of value. its great fun but I fell into it all by accident and now I'm running ragged to keep up..... But its a great ride.....

OP
OP
J

Jyorsky

Sep 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
MXT PRO
AT GOLD
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Follow up, going through some old stuff and found a lighter that was in this locker
An original
MEGADETH ZIPPO LIGHTER
ORIGINAL ON EBAY

one fron Japan is high 4 hundreds. Mine one $305. Check it out if you are a MEGADETH fan

Owassokie

Jun 28, 2012
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bid it with the intent to find something valuable but not the promise of a find. So its mostly houses that I clean. foreclosures, forfeitures, evictions, family deaths. I always come out ahead and with plenty of neat things of value. its great fun but I fell into it all by accident and now I'm running ragged to keep up..... But its a great ride.....

kingskid, curious if this turned into a business for you? My brother-in-law did this in the OKC area but doesn't do it out of interest...just to make money. He ultimately moved on to other things.

davest

Silver Member
Nov 5, 2007
somewhere between here and there, south of over th
Detector(s) used
titan 3000xd/seahunter mk ll/Ace 250/whites 6000XL Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
not to answer for Kingskid, but have you ever watched "storage wars"? You'll have to teach yourself valuation of product along with having a storage area for the product you want to sell. Of course, you'll need someone you can trust to help with the clean outs, the pricing, and collecting your profits. It's hard to be 4 people at the same time some times.:icon_thumleft:

It's a learning experience.

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
kingskid, curious if this turned into a business for you? My brother-in-law did this in the OKC area but doesn't do it out of interest...just to make money. He ultimately moved on to other things.

Yes I have been doing this for several years now. Again I don't go into it with the mindset of treasure hunting and I bid for the haul off of the items. It just so happens that I almost always find something worth keeping. It has been keeping me busy for a number of years now. I do work similar to the show Hoarders and Junk Kings. I just haven't been on that grand of a scale or syndicated yet....:laughing7:

nomad 11

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2009
nomads land
Detector(s) used
any tector i can get my hands on
Follow up, going through some old stuff and found a lighter that was in this locker
An original
MEGADETH ZIPPO LIGHTER
ORIGINAL ON EBAY

one fron Japan is high 4 hundreds. Mine one $305. Check it out if you are a MEGADETH fan
you hit pay dirt there. now that made it all worth while dint it ? just the way u describe the mess the picture i paint in my mind doesnt sum it up. pictures would have totally convinced me. sounds like a mess.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
you hit pay dirt there. now that made it all worth while dint it ? just the way u describe the mess the picture i paint in my mind doesnt sum it up. pictures would have totally convinced me. sounds like a mess.
Ya not for me either to much work.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions