Obsessive

Apr 16, 2017
NW Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/MI-6 w/ HF/XF/LF
Tesoro Cibola / Land and Sea pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Youll likely want a trailer or a cargo van to haul out your treasure. And some place to store it while you figure out how to get rid of it.

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do not care for online auctions. I like the live auctions so you can actually see the condition of the items. Live auctions are hard to find. But keep an eye out, such as the links posted or local paper etc. When I went to my first one about 6 months ago I found the person in charge and said I have never been to a storage auction. To make me feel right at home he yelled got a rookie here and everybody laughed and went back to thier coffee and cigs. It is easy and the auctioneer always give the details of the auction such as deposit, how long you have to clean out the space and what to do with the personel items. I avoid which is hard to do the units with large items as I do not have a pickup and trailer. And it is fun to go with some one to share the treasures and trash that is found. First time I went was to observe and the next one I went to I was a Pro. Yep.

OP
OP
jettydog

jettydog

Sep 7, 2017
New Jersey
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for the replies it is much appreciated and very helpful.

yardgoat

May 15, 2015
Salmon, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, MX Sport
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You can find storage auctions in the legal section of the news paper. Take cash as most storage auctions don't take checks or cards. Be aware that you have to take everything in the unit and most places will give you a day or two to clear it out. I did this for 8 years before the Storage Wars TV program, don't think that every unit is a winner "it's not". And some storage properties will set them up with all the trash from other units that the other tenants have left behind, after a while you'll know which ones are on the up and up. The biggest problem is having an outlet to sell all the everyday household stuff " which is 99% of which is in the units" I bought a lot of units that I made a handsome profit and some I bought went to the dump. Good luck I hope you get lucky

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You know, I've often wondered about them, and plan next week to go to one just to see, for me, it would be a smaller unit, and something with just boxes in it hopefully, just as in detecting, you never know. It may be all stuff that goes to donations or the dump, but what the heck. I have learned a couple of things on this sub-forum, such as take a set amount I'm willing to spend and not get carried away with it, my wife wants to go as well, kind of like a treasure hunt, and most likely will leave with nothing at all. But again, you never know. I agree with a lot of you guys, "Storage Wars" is a bunch of scripted crap, I've watched it twice, and could see that. Just like a "Metal Detecting" show that was on at one time, that was a few guys running around digging up stuff and right away, how much can we get for this? It really made us look like a bunch of greedy fools, glad it's gone.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread