Just try and tell me these places dont snoop first
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree13Likes
  • 2 Post By DetectorRob
  • 1 Post By Holt0222
  • 1 Post By DetectorRob
  • 1 Post By Keith Jackson
  • 1 Post By RTR
  • 2 Post By A2coins
  • 5 Post By desecrator

Thread: Just try and tell me these places dont snoop first

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Aug 2019
    Michigan
    Bounty Hunter quick draw pro
    45 times
    Metal Detecting

Just try and tell me these places don't snoop first

So I went to a online site that lists storage unit auctions near me.

Some of the auctions have 8 photos. Most are from the same storage unit place. Just try and tell me the people who own this place isn't going though everything first to find valuables.

It's hilarious how storage wars act like they are popping the lock for the first time
    Last edited by DetectorRob; Aug 31, 2019 at 11:26 PM.
    T.C. and A2coins like this.

us
    Sep 2015
    Montana
    296 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Exactly. Thatís one of the reasons I donít want to do auctions. Anything of value not hidden in a box will be grabbed and placed in the owners unit.
    A2coins likes this.

us
    Aug 2019
    Michigan
    Bounty Hunter quick draw pro
    45 times
    Metal Detecting
    So it's not just me thinking that? Good
    A2coins likes this.

us
    Aug 2016
    Maryland
    Garrett Ace 250
    810 times
    I former co-worker used to own a facility with his father and brother. He said that they would take what they wanted before the auctions, but they also never made any claims that they didn't.
    A2coins likes this.

RTR
    us
    Roger. USAF Vietnam war Combat Vet

Nov 2017
    Smith Mt. Lake Va.
    Teknetics Liberator Falcon MD-20 *********** Blue Bowl Angus MacKirk sluice Miller Table
    15444 times
    A2coins likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Tommy

Dec 2015
    Ann Arbor
    Equinox 800
    37878 times
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    They would be dumb not to
    DetectorRob and RTR like this.

Approved TreasureNet Stickers

.:: $2.00 for 11" X 3" Bumper Sticker ::. I have 185 left PM me if you would like to buy any Tommy

(Free Shipping)

SEE: TreasureNet Bumper Stickers

Jul 2006
    Jamestown, NY
    White's XLT
    6 times
    I've been a professional storage buyer for nearly 7 years, purchased roughly 1000 units (both online and at live auctions). VERY few facilities tamper with the contents of a unit before it goes up for public sale. Not to say that it doesn't happen, but it is rare... especially at the big corporate chains (Life, CubeSmart, Public). The reason is pretty simple actually... the original tenant has the legal right to settle their debt right until the moment the unit is sold... and actually even after (many facilities allow the tenant to pay and reclaim their unit even after it is sold, if the winning bidder has not yet paid in the office). If the facility owner were to plunder the contents before the auction, and the tenant were to pay up at the last minute (which I have seen happen MANY times), the facility could face severe legal issues. Some tenants actually keep insurance policies and file an itemized list and photos of the contents with the insurance company. The storage business is a numbers game... owner's make their money from rent, not from a few bucks here and there from junk they can sell out of units. It is not worth risking their entire business (10's of thousands of dollars for small facilities to possibly millions for the big chains) just to make a few hundred. Plus, these owners likely don't want to to the leg work to sell the items... they are property owner/managers, not resellers. It's hard to understand this, as we have a treasure hunter mentality, but most people don't want to dig through other people's "junk", even if given the chance.

Now, there are a few scenarios that may look like the owners illegally searched the unit, but didn't. 1.) The original tenant knew they were going to default, and took what they wanted 1st, not wanting to deal with the disposal of the unwanted items. This happens a LOT with estate units, where the family doesn't want to deal with the bulk of items, but knows to take "grandma's jewelry" 2.) Some tenants will sign their unit over to the facility in lieu of their back rent... in this case, the facility need not follow lien law, as the unit is now the property of the facility. 3.) If a lien unit is a "no sale", it also becomes the property of the facility. In both cases, the facility can legally do whatever they want with the contents. They may put these units up at auction with actual lien units. Now, I personally feel they should indicate to buyers if a unit is a true lien unit or one of these "manager's specials", but they are not legally required to do so.

Certainly, there are some facilities that play fast and loose with the law, and roll the dice, but I'd say that it's less than 5% in my experience.

us
    nomad roman numeral 2

Nov 2009
    nomads land
    any tector i can get my hands on
    2402 times
    would you not do the same thing ? if you had the opportunity ?

Jul 2006
    Jamestown, NY
    White's XLT
    6 times
    Quote Originally Posted by nomad 11 View Post
    would you not do the same thing ? if you had the opportunity ?
    If I was in the storage unit rental business I would absolutely not do it. I would not risk a lawsuit and my livelihood

us
    May 2006
    The Beautiful Berkshires in Western Mass.
    White's DFX
    114 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by desecrator View Post
    I've been a professional storage buyer for nearly 7 years, purchased roughly 1000 units (both online and at live auctions). VERY few facilities tamper with the contents of a unit before it goes up for public sale. Not to say that it doesn't happen, but it is rare... especially at the big corporate chains (Life, CubeSmart, Public). The reason is pretty simple actually... the original tenant has the legal right to settle their debt right until the moment the unit is sold... and actually even after (many facilities allow the tenant to pay and reclaim their unit even after it is sold, if the winning bidder has not yet paid in the office). If the facility owner were to plunder the contents before the auction, and the tenant were to pay up at the last minute (which I have seen happen MANY times), the facility could face severe legal issues. Some tenants actually keep insurance policies and file an itemized list and photos of the contents with the insurance company. The storage business is a numbers game... owner's make their money from rent, not from a few bucks here and there from junk they can sell out of units. It is not worth risking their entire business (10's of thousands of dollars for small facilities to possibly millions for the big chains) just to make a few hundred. Plus, these owners likely don't want to to the leg work to sell the items... they are property owner/managers, not resellers. It's hard to understand this, as we have a treasure hunter mentality, but most people don't want to dig through other people's "junk", even if given the chance.

Now, there are a few scenarios that may look like the owners illegally searched the unit, but didn't. 1.) The original tenant knew they were going to default, and took what they wanted 1st, not wanting to deal with the disposal of the unwanted items. This happens a LOT with estate units, where the family doesn't want to deal with the bulk of items, but knows to take "grandma's jewelry" 2.) Some tenants will sign their unit over to the facility in lieu of their back rent... in this case, the facility need not follow lien law, as the unit is now the property of the facility. 3.) If a lien unit is a "no sale", it also becomes the property of the facility. In both cases, the facility can legally do whatever they want with the contents. They may put these units up at auction with actual lien units. Now, I personally feel they should indicate to buyers if a unit is a true lien unit or one of these "manager's specials", but they are not legally required to do so.

Certainly, there are some facilities that play fast and loose with the law, and roll the dice, but I'd say that it's less than 5% in my experience.
    Extremely well written and educational post and I certainly appreciated the insight, right on!

HH all!

Greg

us
    Sep 2015
    Montana
    296 times
    Quote Originally Posted by desecrator View Post

Very educational and well written. Makes sense about the legal side.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links