G

Gregory E. Davis

Oct 22, 2013
Tempe, Arizona
Detector(s) used
eyeball it
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello AZBCE: I was at the Arizona State Department of Libraries and Records today doing some research on Fred Pranty and came across, almost by accident, the following Millsite and Water Right Locations. There are two claims and both are located in the Gila County Book 5 of Mining Claims. The first is the "Crank" on page 471 to 472. The second is the "Black Warrior" on page 472-473. I asked them about the Coroners Inquest papers for Fred Pranty, however their holdings do not go up to 1938. The employee suggested that someone could contact the City Clerk of Globe and ask where those documents are located and follow up from there. Cordially, Gregory E. Davis

OP
OP
G

Gregory E. Davis

Oct 22, 2013
Tempe, Arizona
Detector(s) used
eyeball it
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All: Does anyone have any documented information pertaining to any operations that Lewis and Pranty had on Lewis and Pranty Creek? Items such as grazing cattle, mining claims, water rights, and a possible structure such as a cabin or line shack in that ares? Cordially, Gregory E. Davis

OP
OP
G

Gregory E. Davis

Oct 22, 2013
Tempe, Arizona
Detector(s) used
eyeball it
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good evening Gentlemen: I was in Prescott over the weekend attending the Westerner History Symposium and had time to go to the Sharlot Hall Museum Library and Archives Research Center to go through the Stan and Ruth Brown Papers. I managed to locate Stan's story on Fred Pranty. "Stan and Ruth Brown Papers, Box 14, Folder 14.6." "Backbone Publication, November 20, 1998, Page 16, "Back When...The Fred Pranty mystery was solved." I will try to attach a picture of the article to the Forum when I get time to review the procedure for attaching a photo. Cordially, Gregory E. Davis

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good evening Gentlemen: I was in Prescott over the weekend attending the Westerner History Symposium and had time to go to the Sharlot Hall Museum Library and Archives Research Center to go through the Stan and Ruth Brown Papers. I managed to locate Stan's story on Fred Pranty. "Stan and Ruth Brown Papers, Box 14, Folder 14.6." "Backbone Publication, November 20, 1998, Page 16, "Back When...The Fred Pranty mystery was solved." I will try to attach a picture of the article to the Forum when I get time to review the procedure for attaching a photo. Cordially, Gregory E. Davis

Hi Greg - I haven't been feeling up to doing anything lately, but just hopped on today to check TNet. If you can't get someone to help you out with posting the photo or a copy of the article, mail me a copy and I can do it for you if you'd like. Hope to get out there this fall - it's been a long year already

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Greg - thank you for sending the article by e-mail. Because of resolution it's a little blurry, but I'm attaching it in segments and I think it can be read ok,

pranty 1.JPG
pranty 2.JPG
pranty 3.JPG
pranty 4.JPG

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We are still in a quandary as to why there are two graves for the man in the same cemetery.

We're just going to have to find Stan Brown and ask him!

Mike

PotBelly Jim

Dec 8, 2017
Primary Interest:
Other
Mike,

A friend of mine pointed out recently that there are not two graves for Pranty...there are two entries for him in "Find A Grave", simply because his last name was misspelled by a volunteer who posted the information. Two different volunteers entered information into the database about the same grave marker.

OP
OP
G

Gregory E. Davis

Oct 22, 2013
Tempe, Arizona
Detector(s) used
eyeball it
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All: When I was at the Westerners Symposium last week I was told that Stan Brown is now living in one of the retirement facilities in Prescott. He is retired and in his 80's. I do not know which retirement community he is residing at. Cordially, Gregory E. Davis

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mike,

A friend of mine pointed out recently that there are not two graves for Pranty...there are two entries for him in "Find A Grave", simply because his last name was misspelled by a volunteer who posted the information. Two different volunteers entered information into the database about the same grave marker.

Don't think so buddy. While I can't find a picture of the second grave, there are two separate grave numbers. They are quite far apart:

grave# 96324516

grave# 94924068

I doubt it is a simple registration error. I guess the only way to know for certain is to have someone go to the Payson Pioneer Cemetery and find both graves..............................or talk to Stan Brown.

Funny thing, I have what I believe what might be his address. I literally drove right past his house today! LOL Have to stop by tomorrow and knock.

Mike

AZBCE

Greenie
Jul 14, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You'll be able to find the story at www.AZBackcountryExplorers.com

Hi AZ, I can't find the story on your site.....
can you send me thew link? Thanks!!
Carrol

Hello!

I have not published the story yet. I have a 10-year gap to fill during his time in Arizona. I will post a link here when its published.

Thanks, Kevin A.

OP
OP
G

Gregory E. Davis

Oct 22, 2013
Tempe, Arizona
Detector(s) used
eyeball it
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AZBCE: What years are you looking for regarding the 10- year gap? Cordially, Gregory E. Davis

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Folks,

While looking for something else, I found this interesting notation on a 1937 Diamond Butte TOPO Map (HINT: Look inside the red rectangle):

pclmaps-topo-az-diamond_butte-1937(2).jpg

Mike

Hillbilly Prince

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2018
SW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett All Terrain Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread