Lewis and Pranty

Gregory E. Davis

Oct 22, 2013
Tempe, Arizona
Detector(s) used
eyeball it
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good evening Gentlemen: I am starting this Post in hopes it will ignite some interest within the users of this site to do some research pertaining to, "John Lewis and Fred Pranty," of whom, "Lewis and Pranty Creek" is named. At the time of this writing there appears to be little historic information available concerning these two individuals other than they were ranchers and prospectors. They are supposed to have been living in the area of the creek of their name sake. Any support in this endeavor would be most beneficial toward the addition of historic knowledge regarding this area along the Apache Trail. Cordially, Gregory E. Davis

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you tried the genealogy websites and the US census?

OP
OP
G

Gregory E. Davis

Oct 22, 2013
Tempe, Arizona
Detector(s) used
eyeball it
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes I have, but then I may have missed something. Cordially, Gregory E. Davis

Last edited:

PotBelly Jim

Dec 8, 2017
Primary Interest:
Other
Greg,

I did a quick search of newspapers, might help someone who decides to take up the task. Attached PDF has several interesting tidbits on them, with a couple pictures for folks who aren't familiar with the area.

View attachment 1732236

PS: I believe their property became part of Jack Frazier's holdings

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

Gregory E. Davis

Oct 22, 2013
Tempe, Arizona
Detector(s) used
eyeball it
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you Jim: You located a number of articles I was not aware of. Good job in researching this project. Cordially, Gregory E. Davis

PotBelly Jim

Dec 8, 2017
Primary Interest:
Other
You're welcome Greg. I'm up to my eyeballs in a research project in the Bradshaws right now, but I will take a few swings at this as time permits.

The mine mentioned in the newspaper article was also mentioned in some other pubs...attached is mine data and cabin site/mine site.

View attachment 1732284

Matthew Roberts

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2013
Paradise Valley, Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
According to B. David Russell, a Phoenix historical preservationists, Fred Pranty was born about 1870 and died about 1924 near the mine he and Davey Gowan had on Gun Creek a few miles SE of Payson and NW of Gisela.

Prantys body was not located until 1938, fourteen years after his death. A pistol was found in his remains and a bullet hole in his skull. A Payson coroner's jury believed he probably committed suicide.

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL In all the years I've been parking at that corner and hiking down the creekbed, I've always just thought that was part of Fish Creek! Learn something new every day!

Mike

PS.

Did you know Fred Pranty spent fifteen years in jail for committing suicide?

Arizona_Republic_Tue__Aug_6__1963_.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

Gregory E. Davis

Oct 22, 2013
Tempe, Arizona
Detector(s) used
eyeball it
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks again Jim: That shows where he and his partner were working later on in life. Cordially, Gregory E. Davis

OP
OP
G

Gregory E. Davis

Oct 22, 2013
Tempe, Arizona
Detector(s) used
eyeball it
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Kraig and Mike just posted an article by Don Dedera explaining the circumstances surrounding Fred's demise and final burial. Cordially, Gregory E. Davis

Matthew Roberts

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2013
Paradise Valley, Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The bones in the jail could not have been Pranty as the bones were noticed in 1947 and Pranty had been found and buried in Payson Pioneer cemetery in May of 1938. Coroner's jury found Pranty died sometime early 1924 and wasn't found until 1938. The bones in the jail belonged to someone else.

OP
OP
G

Gregory E. Davis

Oct 22, 2013
Tempe, Arizona
Detector(s) used
eyeball it
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks good for the two death certificates. Wish I could read the doctors handwriting with regards to the cause of death. Jack Carlson located a stock brand for a J.W. Lewis at Cave Creek. It is the 6L and 6J. The stock book listed all brands registered up to march 25th, 1916. The book is titled Brand Book and Livestock Laws of the State of Arizona Compiled by The Arizona Live Stock Sanitary Board at a meeting held at Phoenix, March 25, 1916. James A. Johnson, Chairman. Another book Jack showed me is a Log of a Twentieth Century Cowboy by Daniel G. Moore. He talks about the 6L Ranch on page 216 and says that the brand was sold to the Cartwright Cattle Company in the 1930's. He does not say who sold it. J. Manford Cartwright is the manager of the that cattle company. I hope this will supply some more ammunition toward more research. Cordially, Gregory E. Davis

OP
OP
G

Gregory E. Davis

Oct 22, 2013
Tempe, Arizona
Detector(s) used
eyeball it
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Kraig: You are correct for I have a picture of Fred Pranty grave marker in the Pioneer Cemetery, Payson, Arizona and it clearly states that he was buried May 27, 1938. Jack Carlson supplied me with the picture. Cordially, Gregory E. Davis

PotBelly Jim

Dec 8, 2017
Primary Interest:
Other
Looks good for the two death certificates. Wish I could read the doctors handwriting with regards to the cause of death. Jack Carlson located a stock brand for a J.W. Lewis at Cave Creek. It is the 6L and 6J. The stock book listed all brands registered up to march 25th, 1916. The book is titled Brand Book and Livestock Laws of the State of Arizona Compiled by The Arizona Live Stock Sanitary Board at a meeting held at Phoenix, March 25, 1916. James A. Johnson, Chairman. Another book Jack showed me is a Log of a Twentieth Century Cowboy by Daniel G. Moore. He talks about the 6L Ranch on page 216 and says that the brand was sold to the Cartwright Cattle Company in the 1930's. He does not say who sold it. J. Manford Cartwright is the manager of the that cattle company. I hope this will supply some more ammunition toward more research. Cordially, Gregory E. Davis

Greg, I also saw a certificate for a John Lewis who died at the Pioneer's home. Not sure who is who in the zoo yet. There are a lot of potential "John Lewis" candidates in that file.

I thought this might be our guy, as his occupation was a miner and he seemed the right age/didn't appear to be a family man. I think his cause of death is "carcinoma of face" for which he was apparently being treated for 2 years.

We should all keep looking... Jack finding a possible middle init. of "W." might help. Take care, Jim

PotBelly Jim

Dec 8, 2017
Primary Interest:
Other
Here's a bill of sale from a JW Lewis and Fred Pranty...looks to me like the John Lewis in the death certificate IS NOT our guy...

Maricopa Co. recorder's office has a TON of documents on a J W Lewis and a John W. Lewis...our guy is probably in there.

View attachment 1732357

PotBelly Jim

Dec 8, 2017
Primary Interest:
Other
If our John Lewis is indeed the John W. Lewis of the 6L ranch, he seems to be pretty well known. Attached are some more newspaper articles. I saw he was sheriff in Cave Creek for at least the years 1914-1915. There are some pictures of him also:

View attachment 1732404

OP
OP
G

Gregory E. Davis

Oct 22, 2013
Tempe, Arizona
Detector(s) used
eyeball it
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Jim: The Maricopa County Bill of Sale for cattle document which you posted with the names of J.W. Lewis and Fred Pranty, dated 1896 pretty much makes the case for J.W. Lewis to be the correct Lewis. Good research hunting Jim. Lets hear from more of you out there. Cordially, Gregory E. Davis

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions