OP
OP
somehiker

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I expect quite a few to object. Can't be helping Tortilla Flat business either, since many stop there while driving through to Roosevelt and beyond. I tried to drive out to the buttes east of Florence this morning. East Price Station Rd. is now gated where it crosses the railroad tracks near the Country Thunder site. No signage.....just gated and padlocked.

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
I expect quite a few to object. Can't be helping Tortilla Flat business either, since many stop there while driving through to Roosevelt and beyond. I tried to drive out to the buttes east of Florence this morning. East Price Station Rd. is now gated where it crosses the railroad tracks near the Country Thunder site. No signage.....just gated and padlocked.
the farmers and ranchers are sick of caravans of utv's...rangers..rhinos..screaming dirt bikes...my guess is they have had it and decided to lock the drunken fools out...the rancher north of mineral mountain put a locked gate up on cottonwood road a few years ago...he wouldn't even give a key to the blm

Riverbum

Jul 13, 2011
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It seems that a lot of states have been passing laws concerning UTV's, ATV, etc., lately. Many counties in Colorado have already banned the use of them in areas designated, it only take a few "thrill seekers" to ruin it for everyone...sort of sounds like the problems we Metal Detectors/Treasure seekers have been experiencing for a few years now

OP
OP
somehiker

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• 4 seat barbeque.jpg
    4 seat barbeque.jpg
    207.4 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
OP
OP
somehiker

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Out near Whitlow Dam.

deducer

Bronze Member
Jan 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Closed for 2-8 years I'm told.....maybe never to re-open for general traffic.
Smaller white sign says "No Trespassing/ State Property".

Well I guess the LDM is going to get a little peace and quiet for once.

OP
OP
somehiker

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I guess the LDM is going to get a little peace and quiet for once.

Depends on where folks think it is......

Nice though, that it's now possible to rent a jeep. Saves some of the boot leather and makes more of the south end accessible.

Attachments

• DSCF1484 sm.jpg
    DSCF1484 sm.jpg
    182.6 KB · Views: 64

PotBelly Jim

Dec 8, 2017
Primary Interest:
Other
Wayne, you spring for a new camera? or is everything in focus because you're not bouncing off a rock or two as you snap the shutter? We still owe you a new camera, sorry I missed everyone this year.

OP
OP
somehiker

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Same camera and same settings Jim. Seems it will focus fine, except for the one place out there where I need to get sharp shots. Same thing happened on this trip. In fact, it's why I bought it, when my previous camera started acting up at the same place.
I was down there for ten days, and had planned to hang out with the guys on Friday night and Saturday, but instead, wound up stuck at the hotel with a scratched eyeball instead. Sorry I missed it .

PotBelly Jim

Dec 8, 2017
Primary Interest:
Other
Hmmm, 2 cameras not focusing, and then you wind up with a scratched eyeball. :dontknow: Sounds like a laugh a minute. I don't much believe in stuff like that but all the same there are some places I wont go back to.

Sorry to hear you were stuck at the hotel. Hope that eye heals up good as new!

OP
OP
somehiker

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was all healed up by Monday afternoon, so not too bad really.
The cameras had different issues. The Kodak shuts itself off when I try to take the shot, and the Fuji doesn't want to focus, no matter how long I wait for the OK beep. Could be heat-related or some other tech glitch.
I ignored the signs last Monday though, and hiked the mile or so from Tortilla Flat to Mesquite Flat after lunch. There's a few places where the road surface has been undercut by the flooding along that stretch, and some deep gullies that now reach the very edge of the pavement. The cliffs that tower above the road in places look very unstable as well, so all that's going to have to be taken care of before it's safe enough for public use. It's obvious that Tortilla Creek and Mesquite Creek had tremendous amounts of water flowing through, with virtually all the reeds and other vegetation now gone from the creek beds of both. The creek bed of Mesquite is now about 2-300 feet wide, with at least a third of the sandy camping area down at the bottom having been destroyed. Those who knew it won't recognize it.

Attachments

• DSCF1442 sm.jpg
    DSCF1442 sm.jpg
    214.5 KB · Views: 66
  • DSCF1447sm.jpg
    DSCF1447sm.jpg
    284.2 KB · Views: 64

dredgernaut

Dec 27, 2012
wisconsin
Detector(s) used
whites mxt, tesoro lobo super trac., monster1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hi somehiker. , I was the truck in front of your rented wrangler when that utv burned down. there was 2 fellas from Wisconsin waiting to get through when you pulled up. we spoke for a few minutes before they let us past. when you mentioned you were from Canada and came down a few times a year . I wondered if it was you. I think you said your a welder or machinist correct. well my trip was very good, little better now knowing that I met you inadvertently.
we ended up covering 25 plus miles in 6 days mostly off trail. carrying almost 60 pounds with the water. saw 2 tarantulas , 1 small scorpion , 1 snake. and some animal looked like a ring tailed lemur. by the time we made it back to our truck we had run dry on water 4 miles tooo early. but had water waiting in truck. but it was tough getting to it. I will be back down in march to push further in. I will post pics of our trip in the next couple days.

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
hi somehiker. , I was the truck in front of your rented wrangler when that utv burned down. there was 2 fellas from Wisconsin waiting to get through when you pulled up. we spoke for a few minutes before they let us past. when you mentioned you were from Canada and came down a few times a year . I wondered if it was you. I think you said your a welder or machinist correct. well my trip was very good, little better now knowing that I met you inadvertently.
we ended up covering 25 plus miles in 6 days mostly off trail. carrying almost 60 pounds with the water. saw 2 tarantulas , 1 small scorpion , 1 snake. and some animal looked like a ring tailed lemur. by the time we made it back to our truck we had run dry on water 4 miles tooo early. but had water waiting in truck. but it was tough getting to it. I will be back down in march to push further in. I will post pics of our trip in the next couple days.
where did you see the coatimundi ?

dredgernaut

Dec 27, 2012
wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I came around a corner of a dry stream, we scared each other he ran about 20 feet away and jumped about 4 feet high into a tree held on and staired at me. We made pretty good eye contact. Then it jumped down and away from me and ran off. It was very dirty with ash and dust, but was of good size and looked to be healthy. Unfortunatley the whole encounter lasted 1 minute or less. I do not have time think straight and get camera out.. I think its tail was close to 3 feetor less.
I am sorry dave I saw this in an area I feel important to my hunt and I am tooo greedy at the moment to share. Sorry but I know you understand protecting your search areas...

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
I came around a corner of a dry stream, we scared each other he ran about 20 feet away and jumped about 4 feet high into a tree held on and staired at me. We made pretty good eye contact. Then it jumped down and away from me and ran off. It was very dirty with ash and dust, but was of good size and looked to be healthy. Unfortunatley the whole encounter lasted 1 minute or less. I do not have time think straight and get camera out.. I think its tail was close to 3 feetor less.
I am sorry dave I saw this in an area I feel important to my hunt and I am tooo greedy at the moment to share. Sorry but I know you understand protecting your search areas...
no problem...i'm more interested in the coati than the ldm...lol...its not often they allow people to get close to them..i saw a family of them in the pinals ..mama and 3 kids...when she saw me she grabbed one of the kids with her mouth and ran up the hill until she got far enough away from me..then she proceeded to do the same with the other 2 kids..once she had the kids safely away from me she just stood there and looked at me

dredgernaut

Dec 27, 2012
wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That sounds like a cool experience. I was walking in soft sand, minimal noise for sure . With a fair pace. Both of our eyes were probably as big as possible. Lol. I know it was a fairly rare situation and was proud to have seen it. But I am pretty ugly and now it probly thinks it saw bigfoot . Lol
I do not hunt the ldm either. I am going for spanish history. Thanks

OP
OP
somehiker

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Out of all the "maps", the Fish-Peralta map is the closest match to what we are currently talking about re: Mormon Flat.
This is my partial interpretation ....

Aug 25, 2019, 07:49 AM post #151

Peralta map 2.jpg

Interesting to see this used on the second episode of.......

.....it would have been nice if someone had asked first.:dontknow:

News map.jpg

@ 6:00 - 6:18

All three of the segments are available.

Last edited:

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Aug 25, 2019, 07:49 AM post #151

View attachment 1909438

Interesting to see this used on the second episode of.......

.....it would have been nice if someone had asked first.:dontknow:

View attachment 1909432

@ 6:00 - 6:18

All three of the segments are available.

I don't know how much decent they are ( @ 10: 49 ) if are trying to promote a book by telling so big lies and using other people documents and theories.

Last edited:
OP
OP
somehiker

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's been done a few times Marius by different people.....maybe even more than I know. I really don't care that much, but I would like to be asked first....that's all. I made a post to that effect on the Youtube site last night, but it was deleted. Again this morning.....same result. I'm not about to go to war over it.
It can get both worse and highly amusing though. I was contacted a few years ago by a program manager for a production company based in CA. He wanted to ask a few questions about something his researchers had recently found out. Turned out that I (as "somehiker") had and was being impersonated by someone claiming to have solved the stone maps and found the LDM. Every photo they E-Mailed me was one I had posted on this or one of the other websites. In addition to that, he was also claiming he was "somehiker".....:laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread