The Farnk Fish Story

Garry

Apr 19, 2009
The Frank Fish map and story has been around for many years but I never tried to figure out its provenance. Recently somehiker reposted a 2004 post by Greg Davis that explained the modern day provenance of the original Fish map. It piqued my interest and the question that I had was; How did the Fish map become associated with the Lost Dutchman Mine?

Greg also mentioned that the story of how Fish got the map and how it became tied to the LDM was covered in an article he wrote for the Superstition Mountain Journal, Volume 12, 1994. His information was sourced from Lake Erie Schaefer Book “Deadmen Do Tell Tales”. Greg was also in personal contact with Erie and it’s possible some his article could have contained information contained in those contacts.

I do have access to the SMJ article and Greg also lists as a source, Frank Fish’s book “Buried Treasure and Lost Mines”. Both Erie and Frank’s books are rare and I do not have access to either. I hope someone can share some details.

Frank Fish’s Book

From the internet I found the following information.

Google Books (Bibliographic information)
Title Buried Treasure and Lost Mines
Author Frank L. Fish
Publisher - Amador Trading Post, 1956
Length 68 pages

Amazon
Written by treasure hunter and historian Frank L. Fish. 68 Pages. Includes 93 descriptions of treasure and mines. A must-read for treasure hunters. I also saw somewhere that 68 of the stories were based in California

The 1956 date for the first publication appears in error as all of the other references list 1961 as the first publication. Greg’s article also uses the 1961 date.

My questions:

Does Frank’s book include the LDM story and is there any mention of a tie to the Fish Map? If someone has the book and can share the LDM portion it would be greatly appreciated.

Can anyone verify the First Publication date of 1956 is in error? It’s messing up my chronology
!
:icon_scratch:

From Erie’s book Greg relates that Fish was in contact with Erwin Ruth in 1915. Frank would have been 14 or 15 years old and a farm boy in Oklahoma. There are other elements of Frank’s story that also raise red flags but that will have to wait until I get my own copy of Erie’s book.

At this point, this particular story seems to be an extremely weak tie of the Fish Map and the LDM. Greg mentions that Ruth’s map and been published (Arizona Highways - MY ASSUMPTION) and Frank recognized it as similar to his Map. Or perhaps it was sometime after Frank had seen the Ruth map that he created the Fish map himself? :)

I’ll probably order the two books if I can find them for a reasonable price and maybe this will answer a lot of my own questions but any help will be appreciated.

Garry

Hal Croves

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2010
Gary,

Hope this helps. If you want to borrow the title, message an address.

1B1D6282-9620-484E-B435-8CEB504C95B2.jpeg

A4EE325C-4973-4821-AA37-A3A4CC928876.jpeg

484FABC8-5E99-43A3-900D-CA5C05F34D0A.jpeg

Edit: while the map isn’t mentioned specifically, Franks story could only have been written by someone familiar with the PF Map.

Last edited:

Matthew Roberts

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2013
Paradise Valley, Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Google Books (Bibliographic information)
Title Buried Treasure and Lost Mines
Author Frank L. Fish
Publisher - Amador Trading Post, 1956
Length 68 pages

The 1956 date is a misprint error. The book is a third edition 1966. Someone typed or misread 1956 instead of 1966.

Also the 1915 date of Frank Fish talking to Erwin Ruth is also a misprint error.

Last edited:

Gregory E. Davis

Oct 22, 2013
Tempe, Arizona
Detector(s) used
eyeball it
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All: The story of Frank Fish and The Peralta Map can be found in the book, "Dead Men Do tell Tales", by Lake Erie Schaefer. Cordially, Gregory E. Davis

nobodie

Jul 17, 2015
Phx. A.Z.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go to a public library and ask for the book. Here in Phoenix the library doesn't have it, so they borrow the book from a library in another state. That's how I did it.

Gregory E. Davis

Oct 22, 2013
Tempe, Arizona
Detector(s) used
eyeball it
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dead Men Do Tell Tales, There is one available on eBay and two on bookfinders.com. Cordially, Gregory E. Davis

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The yellow softcover Treasure Book is not what you want. You want "Dead Men Do Tell Tales" by Lake Erie Schaefer. Kraig is correct as the First Edition date is 1961:

DMDTT1.jpg DMDTT2.jpg

I have a first edition hardcover of "Dead Men Do Tell Tales". Here are the relevant pages of how Fish got the map:

DMDTTa.jpg

DMDTTb.jpg

DMDTTc.jpg

DMDTTd.jpg

Enjoy; Mike

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

Garry

Apr 19, 2009
Hal,

I apologize for not providing a timely response. Thanks for the images. That is exactly the kind of Information I was hoping for!

Before moving on from Frank’s book I have a couple of other questions.

Does the book include any background (ie introduction, preface, forward)? [Images :)]

I see the stories were numbered. How many stories were included?

We know that Frank’s occupation was described as an artist in several records and I found his sketch in the article preceding “The Lost Dutchman” interesting. Did he include other artwork in the article?

Thanks again,

Garry

Hal Croves

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2010
Hal,

I apologize for not providing a timely response. Thanks for the images. That is exactly the kind of Information I was hoping for!

Does the book include any background (ie introduction, preface, forward)? [Images :)]

We know that Frank’s occupation was described as an artist in several records and I found his sketch in the article preceding “The Lost Dutchman” interesting. Did he include other artwork in the article?

Thanks again,

Garry

Garry,

I have two of Frank’s books and don’t mind passing them along. Both are worth reading. I am actually trying to locate the trailer that Frank lived in behind his museum, where he was found dead. I am also poking around the Amodor City records.

Let me know.

Hal Croves

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2010
Hal,

Thanks again,

Garry

I think that this is the same Frank Fish.

DA0BA125-8BF7-4F79-AA1C-D82432BAE978.jpeg
526A9C95-4602-432B-B020-3EFB89E75B60.jpeg

Hal Croves

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2010
Dead Men Do Tell Tales. Second Edition 1980.

Page 30
”This map shows the location of four mines any one of which could be the famous Lost Dutchman mine.”

Page 25
“Frank’s Map was dated 1848 and signed Manuel Peralta. Both the date and signature were plainly visible. Also his map was a one dimensional map. Frank could not recall the other map being dated or signed.”

Those who have a copy of the original Peralta Fish Treasure Map know that nine mine locations are clearly marked and a possible tenth hidden in the fold. There is no date and the map is signed Eduardo (?) Manuel Peralta (Eduardo = “wealth”), the map is also drawn in two dimension.

How can the “original” be the same map that Lake Erie describes?

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dead Men Do Tell Tales. Second Edition 1980.

Page 30
”This map shows the location of four mines any one of which could be the famous Lost Dutchman mine.”

Page 25
“Frank’s Map was dated 1848 and signed Manuel Peralta. Both the date and signature were plainly visible. Also his map was a one dimensional map. Frank could not recall the other map being dated or signed.”

Those who have a copy of the original Peralta Fish Treasure Map know that nine mine locations are clearly marked and a possible tenth hidden in the fold. There is no date and the map is signed Eduardo (?) Manuel Peralta (Eduardo = “wealth”), the map is also drawn in two dimension.

How can the “original” be the same map that Lake Erie describes?

Just for the sake of the discussion, in the Fish map are depicted only four mines and the Xs or crosses if you like are not mines but codes. IMO, none of the mines depicted in the map is the LDM .

Hal Croves

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2010
Just for the sake of the discussion, in the Fish map are depicted only four mines and the Xs or crosses if you like are not mines but codes. IMO, none of the mines depicted in the map is the LDM .
markmar,

Lake Erie must have understood the same code rules that you promote which, tend to be “flexible” for lack of a better word. You obviously have a copy of the Peralta Fish Map. If you would, please tell me what the map says is hidden, 50 of ? I am looking for your direct translation.

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
markmar,

Lake Erie must have understood the same code rules that you promote which, tend to be “flexible” for lack of a better word. You obviously have a copy of the Peralta Fish Map. If you would, please tell me what the map says is hidden, 50 of ? I am looking for your direct translation.

50 cargas mulas

Hal Croves

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2010
50 cargas mulas
markmar,
Get permission from the Superstition Mountain Historical Society to post the PF Map and you and I could keep that thread humming.

”50 carata hilae... 50 carts in a row.” Taken from page 310 TREASURE TALES OF THE SUPERSTITIONS.
Obviously problematic.

Gregory E. Davis

Oct 22, 2013
Tempe, Arizona
Detector(s) used
eyeball it
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Hal: You have my permission to post the PF map via my authority to do so by the SMHS board of directories. Cordially, Gregory E. Davis

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
Dead Men Do Tell Tales, There is one available on eBay and two on bookfinders.com. Cordially, Gregory E. Davis
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=30337507473&searchurl=ds%3D20%26kn%3DLake%2BErie%2BSchaefer%26sortby%3D17&cm_sp=snippet-_-srp1-_-title1[/FONT]

Copies are not hard to find.

Joe

Last edited:

Hal Croves

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2010
cactusjumper,

Before I begin with the Peralta Fish Map, I need help resolving the questions that I asked in post #11 of this thread. If you, Mr. Davis or anyone familiar with the maps history can offer help, insight or just an opinion, it would be greatly appreciated. I am literally and mentally stuck, wrestling with the following...

Happy to read your words again.

Reposting #11

“Dead Men Do Tell Tales. Second Edition 1980.

Page 30

Page 25

How can the “original” be the same map that Lake Erie describes?”

Gregory E. Davis

Oct 22, 2013
Tempe, Arizona
Detector(s) used
eyeball it
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hal: I knew Lake Erie Schaefer. She had a tendency to see what she wanted and on numerous occasions got things mixed up. She was nice enough but would even get my name and title mixed up when I was still in the Navy. Cordially, Gregory E. Davis

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread