Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2004
Mesa Arizona

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gas grinder like they use cutting out a square in thick cement. Or like Dave said blast it. Go to work in a gold mine. You will learn quick. Don't stand near when you set it off. Blasting is the quick fast way. Depends how much noise you can get away with if your being sneaky!

................and how long you intend looking over a half mile square area for all the pieces you just blasted with TNT.

Frank's grinder would be very slow. You said is was a 14 inch thick solid slab of metal. SIMPLE! Torch or Plasma Cutter.

Mike

OP
OP
Hal Croves

Hal Croves

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2010
yes..somewhere...hopefully i labeled them...lol...i think they are on a portable hard drive....if you like when i run across them i could email them to you ...i wont post them here though
Disappointing.

OP
OP
Hal Croves

Hal Croves

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2010
Mornin' Hal. Glad to see you back at the Fish map. When you get a moment, no rush, could you pls post the red spectrum version of the map zoomed in to the actual wording indicating 50 mule loads of gold? Not sure I've ever seen the actual wording on the map.

I was trying to figure out approx. how much gold a bar might contain based on Harry LaFrance's $5600, 6lb. bar, but in the end it turned out to be impossible to calculate the actual gold content of it. But, I think it's safe to assume any gold bars stashed in the Supes are probably not 100% gold?

Is there anything that indicates that the mule cargo is refined vice ore?

There is something just beneath this note that is worth looking at.
I will post it next.

I read it as:
La caverna de oro escondido abajo 50 Cargas mulas

The golden cavern hidden down 50 mule loads

50 MULAS.jpg

PotBelly Jim

Dec 8, 2017
Primary Interest:
Other
Ay Caramba...thanks Frank. And thanks Hal for posting the "zoomed" red filtered map.

As a "map skeptic" this one worries me. Think I might be learned something here. To plagiarize Roy, please do continue!

OP
OP
Hal Croves

Hal Croves

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2010
O'Higgins shows it rotated 90 degrees and defines it as - "in route, keep going, on trail"
and up side down - "treasure below"

"Crude mule shoe points the direction or indicated correct trail."
O'Higgins

"Shoe pointing in route, keep going"
"Mule shoe keep going - on trail points to treasure"
Mahan

OP
OP
Hal Croves

Hal Croves

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2010
arrastre.jpg

Hutchings and Rosenfield 1858
The Miner's Own Book
"One of the first used, as well as one of the most useful and most important, is the Mexican Rastra, which is commonly spelled Arastra. Though rude in its construction and simple in its working, it is one of the most effectual methods of saving the gold which has yet been discovered. The Mexican method of constructing these is to lay a circular track of stone tolerably level, with a low wall around the outside of the track; and in the centre a post made of a tree cut off at the required height, and generally just above a crotch or arm; another small tree is then cut in the shape required, for making a horizontal shaft; to this is attached one or more large stones; and these being drawn around by donkey or mule-power, grind the quartz to powder. Of course, as gold is the heaviest it naturally seeks the lowest places, and as quicksilver is always put in with the quartz the gold becomes amalgamated with it."

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
Before someone starts packing their gear based on this treasure map to guide them to treasure(s), keep in mind that others have used these maps before you and more than once WITHOUT success. This is aimed mainly at the guys who are not posting but read our discussions and then act on the information.

I don't know if my saying this will prevent someone ending up like Jesse Capen, Ardean Charles, Malcolm Meeks, and Curtis Meriworth but hopefully it will stop someone doing something lethally foolish.

Please do continue; :icon_thumleft:

:coffee2: :coffee2::coffee: :coffee2:

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
Before someone starts packing their gear based on this treasure map to guide them to treasure(s), keep in mind that others have used these maps before you and more than once WITHOUT success. This is aimed mainly at the guys who are not posting but read our discussions and then act on the information.

I don't know if my saying this will prevent someone ending up like Jesse Capen, Ardean Charles, Malcolm Meeks, and Curtis Meriworth but hopefully it will stop someone doing something lethally foolish.

well said roy

Hillbilly Prince

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2018
SW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett All Terrain Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Well heck...I don't think I can return my new horse >:(
980x (1).jpg

sgtfda

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2004
Mesa Arizona
I find this one interesting. The John Burbridge copy. I like that cave of hidden gold notation.

Attachments

• 1569478277037.jpg
    1569478277037.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 101

PotBelly Jim

Dec 8, 2017
Primary Interest:
Other
View attachment 1756263

Hutchings and Rosenfield 1858
The Miner's Own Book
"One of the first used, as well as one of the most useful and most important, is the Mexican Rastra, which is commonly spelled Arastra. Though rude in its construction and simple in its working, it is one of the most effectual methods of saving the gold which has yet been discovered. The Mexican method of constructing these is to lay a circular track of stone tolerably level, with a low wall around the outside of the track; and in the centre a post made of a tree cut off at the required height, and generally just above a crotch or arm; another small tree is then cut in the shape required, for making a horizontal shaft; to this is attached one or more large stones; and these being drawn around by donkey or mule-power, grind the quartz to powder. Of course, as gold is the heaviest it naturally seeks the lowest places, and as quicksilver is always put in with the quartz the gold becomes amalgamated with it."

Hal, I've found amalgamated gold in a wash on the back side of 4 peaks. For all I know, it was from a modern miner that was using mercury in his pan to clean up, and it got washed over the side or something. Then again, there are some very old arrastras all around central AZ. Who knows?
View attachment 1756343

Good article on arrastras:

View attachment 1756344

OP
OP
Hal Croves

Hal Croves

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2010

I would argue that “others” were not able to properly read the map, hence the lack of success. And while you are correct about the danger involved, I did begin with a disclaimer.

Another way to think about this is that having a destination allows for proper planning and registration with the FS. Both lower the potential risk.

sdcfia

Silver Member
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Arrastras. Floor stones all removed long ago. Last one buried in pine needles.
arrastra2.jpg

004.JPG

Arrastra1.JPG

Arrastra near MS 360.JPG

OP
OP
Hal Croves

Hal Croves

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2010
I find this one interesting. The John Burbridge copy. I like that cave of hidden gold notation.

Obviously taken from the Legends of Adventure Map.
Which isn’t 100% accurate.

Still that note about the cave is curious.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread