The Peralta-Fish Map
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Member
Discoveries
 
Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 244
Like Tree537Likes

Thread: The Peralta-Fish Map

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
  1. #1
    us
    Sep 2010
    2,557
    2584 times

    The Peralta-Fish Map

    This thread is dedicated to the interpretation and translation of the Peralta-Fish Map. The photographs, graphics and shared documents are copyrighted materials and used with the approval of the Superstition Mountain Historical Society.

    The following titles were relied upon to help form what should only be considered one possible conclusion.


    Spanish - English Dictionary of Mining Terms

    Frederick Lucas
    1905 The Technological Institute, London


    EARLY SPANISH TREASURE SIGNS & SYMBOLS

    WM. Mahan
    1963 Little Treasure Publishing Co., Texas


    EARLY SPANISH TREASURE SIGNS & SYMBOLS

    Dr. D.B. O’Higgins, Sc. D.
    International Explorers Club, California

    TREASURE TALES OF THE SUPERSTITIONS
    Clues, Maps and Twice Told Tales
    T.E. Glover
    2015 Granite Creek Publishing, Arizona

    Dead Men Do Tell Tales
    Stories from the Diary of FRANK L. FISH
    Lake Erie Schaefer
    1980 Amador Publishing Company, California



    Last edited by Hal Croves; Sep 17, 2019 at 06:36 PM.

  2. #2
    us
    Sep 2010
    2,557
    2584 times
    In January of 2017, curiosity and frustration left me motivated to reach out to the Superstition Mountain Historical Society and to ask for help in reading the Peralta-Fish Map. Distance, the maps frailty, poor image quality and not knowing Spanish were all obstacles. To complicate things, the translations found in T.E. Glover’s book make little sense. They were written on a traced copy of the original map and some of the words weren’t actually words. This copy of the original is described as the Legends of Adventure Map (LAM). Intentionally or not, the (LAM) copy leaves off several landmarks found on the original. Also, a few words were added to the (LAM) copy and for some unexplained reason, a date. A high-resolution scan of the original was needed to read the map. After learning from the SMHS that one didn’t exist, Jon Fetzer, with his impressive list of credentials, suggest ScanGo Sevices, his imaging company. A date was set and the idea presented to the SMHS who agreed to have the map scanned. The appointment was kept and the results, seen here by way of the SMHS, are impressive.

    I believe that the Peralta-Fish map is authentic and I think that it can now be read to the point of correct translation thru consensus.



    A “thank you” to the Superstition Mountain Historical Society for their generosity and help.


    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Peralta-Fish Map.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	1.51 MB 
ID:	1753964
    Last edited by Hal Croves; Sep 17, 2019 at 06:40 PM.

  3. #3
    us
    Sep 2010
    2,557
    2584 times
    Here I split the RGB channels of the original color image. The RED channel (obviously the easiest to read) is what I will be using when I post details of the PFM.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RGB.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	396.3 KB 
ID:	1753990

  4. #4
    us
    Sep 2010
    2,557
    2584 times
    According to WM. Mahan, these examples of capital R and S were common to the 16th, 17th and 18th centuries. The same is true of the lowercase letters except the "i" is written backwards.

    This means that the map could have been made between 1501 and 1800.

    He doesn't mention this specific style being used in the 19th century, but it may have.
    Rio Salado - Salty River


    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rio Salado.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	480.5 KB 
ID:	1753991
    Last edited by Hal Croves; Sep 17, 2019 at 08:12 PM.
    Real of Tayopa, KANACKI and embrym like this.

  5. #5
    us
    Sep 2010
    2,557
    2584 times
    A tracing of the Four Peaks seen looking north.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Four Peaks.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	387.1 KB 
ID:	1754011
    Real of Tayopa, KANACKI and embrym like this.

  6. #6
    us
    Sep 2010
    2,557
    2584 times
    WM. Mahan writes that this is an 18th century capital E.
    That would date the map to the 1700's perhaps early 1800.


    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	394.6 KB 
ID:	1754018

  7. #7
    us
    Dec 2008
    2,777
    6393 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal Croves View Post
    WM. Mahan writes that this is an 18th century capital E.
    That would date the map to the 1700's perhaps early 1800.


    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	394.6 KB 
ID:	1754018
    nice work hal..good to see old bill mahan's name come up again...i haven't seen anything about him in years
    Hal Croves, deducer and embrym like this.

  8. #8
    us
    Sep 2010
    2,557
    2584 times
    Quote Originally Posted by azdave35 View Post
    nice work hal..good to see old bill mahan's name come up again...i haven't seen anything about him in years

    Difficult to find his book but well worth the effort.

    O’Higgins book I think is a knockoff of Mahan’s but his edits are interesting.
    Last edited by Hal Croves; Sep 18, 2019 at 02:28 PM.
    embrym likes this.

  9. #9
    us
    Dec 2008
    2,777
    6393 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal Croves View Post
    Difficult to find his book but well worth the effort.

    O’Higgins book I think is a knockoff of Mahan’s but his edits are interesting.
    i have a few of mahan's original treasure magazines from the late 50's -early 60's....he was the first guy to use a metal detector on padre island off the shore of texas ...his magazines had pics of him with some of his finds...gold and silver bars...spanish coins...he was truly a pioneer in metal detecting

  10. #10
    us
    Sep 2010
    2,557
    2584 times
    Quote Originally Posted by azdave35 View Post
    i have a few of mahan's original treasure magazines from the late 50's -early 60's....he was the first guy to use a metal detector on padre island off the shore of texas ...his magazines had pics of him with some of his finds...gold and silver bars...spanish coins...he was truly a pioneer in metal detecting
    That is a hobby that I would like to try.
    I had one as a teen but it was essentially useless.

    Lots of models to choose from but I am in the dark.
    Last edited by Hal Croves; Sep 18, 2019 at 02:29 PM.
    embrym likes this.

  11. #11
    us
    Dec 2008
    2,777
    6393 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal Croves View Post
    Thats a hobby that I would like to try.
    I had one as a teen but it was essentially useless.

    Lots of models to choose from but I am in the dark.
    hal...depends on what you want to detect...its best to get and all around machine that will work for prospecting..coins or relics...whites mxt...fisher gold bug pro..tesoro lobo super traq are all excellent machines
    Hal Croves and embrym like this.

  12. #12

    Jan 2014
    1,898
    3538 times
    Good work Hal, keep it up. Refreshing to see us back on subject.
    Hal Croves and Ponchosportal like this.

  13. #13
    us
    Sep 2010
    2,557
    2584 times
    Quote Originally Posted by deducer View Post
    Good work Hal, keep it up. Refreshing to see us back on subject.
    The clock is ticking and I’m hoping that at least one of you will benefit from a better reading of the PF Map.
    embrym likes this.

  14. #14
    us
    Sep 2010
    2,557
    2584 times
    I am not sure why I didn’t start with the title.

    El derrotero de los minas oro apache.

    “The course of the Apache gold mines.”
    However, derrotero has several translations - “course” in nautical terms, “direction”, “way”.

    Here I think that derrotero is used as an idiom. It’s listed as one.
    Which would translate to:

    “The hidden treasure of the Apache gold mines.”

    Which makes much more sense when thinking about the complete map.
    I find that fascinating.


    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PF Title.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	1.07 MB 
ID:	1754235
    Last edited by Hal Croves; Sep 18, 2019 at 04:12 PM.
    markmar, KANACKI and embrym like this.

  15. #15
    us
    Sep 2010
    2,557
    2584 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal Croves View Post
    I am not sure why I didn’t start with the title.

    El derrotero de los minas oro apache-

    “The course of the Apache gold mines.”
    However, derrotero has several translations - “course” in nautical terms, “direction”, “way”.

    Here I think that derrotero is used as an idiom. It’s listed as one.
    Which would translate to:

    “The hidden treasure of the Apache gold mines.”

    Which makes much more sense when thinking about the complete map.
    I find that fascinating.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PF Title.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	1.07 MB 
ID:	1754235
    Taken from A Dictionary, Spanish and English and English and Spanish
    A. Millar, J. Nourse, and P. Vaillant, 1763


    A "fea chart".... might mean “a small chart


    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	68875717-2AC5-4BB6-9E94-90B5E8C7653F.jpeg 
Views:	50 
Size:	729.5 KB 
ID:	1754253
    Last edited by Hal Croves; Sep 18, 2019 at 04:15 PM.
    KANACKI and embrym like this.

 

 
Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. The Peralta Stones
    By gollum in forum The Lost Dutchman's Mine
    Replies: 3594
    Last Post: Dec 18, 2016, 02:51 PM
  2. Replies: 15
    Last Post: Jun 04, 2016, 04:05 PM
  3. Replies: 8
    Last Post: Dec 03, 2014, 10:15 AM
  4. Fish returning after landslide - Fish Bio gets it right
    By DizzyDigger in forum Gold Prospecting
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: May 01, 2014, 09:52 PM
  5. some fish hooks and one huge fish hook - NOW double pointed hooks added
    By larson1951 in forum North American Indian Artifacts
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: May 03, 2009, 02:10 PM

Tags for this Thread

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.3.0