Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Matthew Roberts

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2013
Paradise Valley, Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gentlemen: The name of George Snell keeps appearing in a number of publications and writings. He wrote extensively to Chuck Aylor and they were apparently good friends. Who was George Snell and can any of you provide either old or new information about the man? Cordially, Gregory E. Davis

Hello Greg,

The little I know about George Snell I got from Al Reser who knew him well and was with him back in the Superstitions several times as well as had some correspondence with him.

Snell was George C. Snell born Douglas Kansas in 1882 and died in Phoenix 1962 at age 80. Al Reser may have known Snell before he came to Arizona as both were from the same place in Kansas. Snell was married and lived just west of where Christown Mall is today in Phoenix. I don't know for certain if Snell had any children or not but sort of remember Al saying he had a son also named George? His wife's name was Mabel and Snell was a newspaper man according to Al.

I am 99% certain the man on the left in the photo here is George Snell. The photo was taken in Chuck Aylor's camp in upper LaBarge. Chuck Aylor and his wife Peg are in the photo as well as Roy Bradford holding his cat on the right.

Matthew

Aylor, Snell, Bradford .JPG

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread