dredgernaut

dredgernaut

Dec 27, 2012
wisconsin
Detector(s) used
whites mxt, tesoro lobo super trac., monster1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
howdy all.. it was a good trip full of crazy weather. 2 of the worst wind and rainstorms i have ever seen on top a mountain in a tent(at 6000 ft.). the wind had to be pushing 50 mph or so. dang near trying to lay my tent down on top of me. freezing temperatures 4 of the other nights. frosted out the tent really bad the next night after the rain. lots of moisture in a tent with my breathe and below freezing outside makes ice on the ceiling of your tent.. then the daytime comes and it all drips down on your sleeping bag. lol.. perfect.... the other nights were cold like normal that time of year. it was funny i hiked in with shorts and left with no shirt on and jeans but froze my butt off the whole rest of the time. just my luck i guess. after the rain stopped and the ground was soft it was much easier to tell what animals were interested in me being there. tracks are sometimes spooky to find.. ( cat and bear) lol.. overall, I had a great time. answered some of my questions but not all. so, i will be back again in March and hopefully the weather will be better for me.

OP
OP
dredgernaut

dredgernaut

Dec 27, 2012
wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GOPR0092.JPG

Attachments

• GOPR0113.JPG
    GOPR0113.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 89
  • GOPR0119.JPG
    GOPR0119.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 74
  • GOPR0125.JPG
    GOPR0125.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 89
  • GOPR0135.JPG
    GOPR0135.JPG
    843.9 KB · Views: 73
  • GOPR0144.JPG
    GOPR0144.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 76
  • GOPR0148.JPG
    GOPR0148.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 82
  • GOPR0155.JPG
    GOPR0155.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 80
OP
OP
dredgernaut

dredgernaut

Dec 27, 2012
wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
in the pic. with my buddy in it.. can you see the sticks up under the ledge behind him.. why and what would have put them there? thanks

Attachments

• GOPR0109.JPG
    GOPR0109.JPG
    1,003.7 KB · Views: 81
  • GOPR0101.JPG
    GOPR0101.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 86
  • GOPR0099.JPG
    GOPR0099.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 86
  • GOPR0082.JPG
    GOPR0082.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 96
  • GOPR0077.JPG
    GOPR0077.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 90
  • GOPR0068.JPG
    GOPR0068.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 84
  • GOPR0067.JPG
    GOPR0067.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 79
  • GOPR0064.JPG
    GOPR0064.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 87

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First time I've seen this thread... didn't have time to read all of it. There was an Arizona prospector who posted photos once, of some coarse gold he found Peralta mine area. Not supposed to be any placers associated with the thick veins. This was a gold forum Jim Straight had been a member until passing away.

393stroker

Jun 27, 2012
HOUSTON
Detector(s) used
Garrett pro-something
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
howdy all.. it was a good trip full of crazy weather. 2 of the worst wind and rainstorms i have ever seen on top a mountain in a tent(at 6000 ft.). the wind had to be pushing 50 mph or so. dang near trying to lay my tent down on top of me. freezing temperatures 4 of the other nights. frosted out the tent really bad the next night after the rain. lots of moisture in a tent with my breathe and below freezing outside makes ice on the ceiling of your tent.. then the daytime comes and it all drips down on your sleeping bag. lol.. perfect.... the other nights were cold like normal that time of year. it was funny i hiked in with shorts and left with no shirt on and jeans but froze my butt off the whole rest of the time. just my luck i guess. after the rain stopped and the ground was soft it was much easier to tell what animals were interested in me being there. tracks are sometimes spooky to find.. ( cat and bear) lol.. overall, I had a great time. answered some of my questions but not all. so, i will be back again in March and hopefully the weather will be better for me.
I was out by 15:00 Thursday. Heard a storm was coming. On the second night, I heard what I think was a cat that followed me up the trail. Makin` that sound that sounds like an owl or something. Maybe he smelled me heating up them chicken tortillas.

Attachments

• PC080203.JPG
    PC080203.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 68

cyzak

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2018
Mountains of Western Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett, General Mathematics, Geometry,Pentax,,Do the math it's there.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for sharing your trip and photos .Glad to see folks out in the wilderness exploring, boots on the ground is what it takes. I wonder around in the San Juan wilderness area from time to time sure gives your mind a good perspective about how much there is out there. Good luck with your expeditions down there.

OP
OP
dredgernaut

dredgernaut

Dec 27, 2012
wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was out by 15:00 Thursday. Heard a storm was coming. On the second night, I heard what I think was a cat that followed me up the trail. Makin` that sound that sounds like an owl or something. Maybe he smelled me heating up them chicken tortillas.
chuck, you heard my stomach growling.. and that was me sniffing out your food.. lol.. glad you got out before the storm hit.. it was very bad.. i was already in the hills before i received your sat. number. sorry i could not call ya on it. how many miles did you do. we did about 30 miles.. i am still tired.. i also had chicken tortilla in soup form.. lol.

Attachments

• GOPR0127.JPG
    GOPR0127.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 62

393stroker

Jun 27, 2012
HOUSTON
Detector(s) used
Garrett pro-something
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
chuck, you heard my stomach growling.. and that was me sniffing out your food.. lol.. glad you got out before the storm hit.. it was very bad.. i was already in the hills before i received your sat. number. sorry i could not call ya on it. how many miles did you do. we did about 30 miles.. i am still tired.. i also had chicken tortilla in soup form.. lol.
I went a little over 3 miles away from Peralta trailhead to Coffee Flat, up by Whisky Spring. I believe that Waltz’s mine is there. He was seen all up and around that area.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where are you, in this area? I don't know my way around, another map mine location is to NW and before reaching Black Top Mesa. Quartz alteration zone stops at that point also.

Attachments

• Map_Topo_PeraltaSprings_1B.jpg
    Map_Topo_PeraltaSprings_1B.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 72
  • Map_Topo_PeraltaSprings_1.jpg
    Map_Topo_PeraltaSprings_1.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 68
OP
OP
dredgernaut

dredgernaut

Dec 27, 2012
wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where are you, in this area? I don't know my way around, another map mine location is to NW and before reaching Black Top Mesa. Quartz alteration zone stops at that point also.
hi red.. i am not in that area at all .. sorry bud. 393stroker was just over that way.. i am looking around on the eastern side of the range.. but the things i hope to find will not be on a topo..

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, quartz zone does go up around that way... much like it does going NW. Most people don't realize eastern area is potential

OP
OP
dredgernaut

dredgernaut

Dec 27, 2012
wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if anybody feels like joining me just let me know.. i will be going alone this time(again)... i do have extra backpacks and equipment.. i will be hiking on the eastern side.. i would like to spend at least a week in there... i know this area very well, there is no chance of getting lost... i carry a satellite phone for emergency's and checking in.. i will be in gold canyon on the 16th. if anyone wants to meet.. thanks jeremy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread