Sep 25, 2019
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Gold Legend
Primary Interest:
Other
Skyhawk,
I dropped a pin in the location given, and set the Image clock back to 6/2011 (a year with much less vegetation in the area).
The sunlight it better since it is June (less shadows),
There is some brush there, possibly a hole, but I climbed up, pretty much right through that spot to get from that saddle there, on up to the viewing spot to see 4-peaks as one.
If there was a pit there, I am sure glad I didn't fall in it. :tongue3:
Although I did have that sweat in the eye thing going still, even after resting for a while in that saddle. :laughing7:

Here is a GE shot looking southward at the location for the possible pit.
Edit: You will need to zoom in to see the pin.

Hole..JPG

Last edited:

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for clearing this up - I have not seen anything like that in the Superstitions, but then also haven't trod every foot of them either.

:coffee2: :coffee2:

Buddy,

Here is a GE of the South End of Weavers Needle. That whole Basalt Formation looks like that:

Needle.jpg

Mike

OP
OP
skyhawk1251

skyhawk1251

Nov 9, 2018
Kingman, AZ
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Two more GE screenshots of the "pit." Once it's been located, it's easy to see, even in a very wide-angle view. It measures about 52 feet across the rim. Assuming that scrub oaks are growing around the rim, I wouldn't say that it's a shallow depression. Whether it's man-made, or a natural, volcanic blowhole is anyone's guess. Going back to 2014, using the history slider, it looks the same on my screen.

039.jpg

040.jpg

Idahodutch

Bronze Member
Sep 25, 2019
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Gold Legend
Primary Interest:
Other
Two more GE screenshots of the "pit." Once it's been located, it's easy to see, even in a very wide-angle view. It measures about 52 feet across the rim. Assuming that scrub oaks are growing around the rim, I wouldn't say that it's a shallow depression. Whether it's man-made, or a natural, volcanic blowhole is anyone's guess. Going back to 2014, using the history slider, it looks the same on my screen.

Skyhawk,
I like your description for GE's History slider better. That is what I used ,but just went back to the low vegetation year in June of 2011.
I think you may be looking at shadow. Coming down to this spot, from that viewing spot on the low ridge, is pretty steep. Lots of shadows

If there is a hole/pit there it looks to be atop of a somewhat flattened mound. In GE, I looked at it from all sides and also from different angles above and using the history slide. The flattened mound looks to be approx. 50' wide.
Without all the shadowing, it is easy to lose the 3 dimensional perspective, but I could see more terrain. (although 2011 GE is less detail than most recent view)

There could easily be something under the brush in the center of the mound though. There seems to always be brush there, no matter the year.

OP
OP
skyhawk1251

skyhawk1251

Nov 9, 2018
Kingman, AZ
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Another GE image of a terrain feature that looks man-made, at first glance, but it's natural. GPS 33.471317, -111.385346. Looks like it would be a decent defensive position to fend off an Indian attack.

038.jpg

OP
OP
skyhawk1251

skyhawk1251

Nov 9, 2018
Kingman, AZ
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Some interesting natural features on and very near the ridge running above Geronimo Cave.

002.jpg

Looks like a landing zone for alien spacecraft, but it's all natural, just an example of image "skewing." GE isn't always reliable.

006.jpg

Looks like stones stacked by human hands, but it's all natural.

009.jpg

Another all natural feature. This could be "The Spanish Fortress," as it's called by some.

OP
OP
skyhawk1251

skyhawk1251

Nov 9, 2018
Kingman, AZ
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Another unusual "something." My first thought was fallen saguaro skeletons, but two, laying parallel to each other seems unlikely, and I see no other saguaros nearby. Zooming the second image, or viewing it with a magnifying glass, there is some detail in the image between the white lines. The detail resembles stairsteps carved into the rock. GPS coordinates for the rock formation are at the bottom of the image.

002.png

003.png

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How about these two GE images from the same spot very close to WN base. Look at the centre of the images. A clue from a map led me to this spot. Seems something man made is there.

attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• spot.jpg
    spot.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 152
  • spot2.jpg
    spot2.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 161
OP
OP
skyhawk1251

skyhawk1251

Nov 9, 2018
Kingman, AZ
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
How about these two GE images from the same spot very close to WN base. Look at the centre of the images. A clue from a map led me to this spot. Seems something man made is there.

Nice find, markmar. Very interesting. In my zoomed screenshot of SPOT.JPG, I see linear arrangements of stones on the ground that don't look natural in origin. Some of the linear arrangements are still faintly visible in my zoomed screenshot of SPOT2.JPG, although vegetation obscures the finer details.

001.png

002.png

OP
OP
skyhawk1251

skyhawk1251

Nov 9, 2018
Kingman, AZ
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
For those who enjoy using GE to scan terrain in the Superstition Mountains, here are two locations to study. GPS coordinates are at the bottom of the images.

One location is shown in the first two images. In the first image, I'm not sure if I see the opening to a natural cave or an adit, with some disturbed ground to its right (lower, red box). Inside the yellow box I see a circular crater-like depression with a hole in its center. There seems to be a "dump" below and to the left of the hole. The "dump" is not covered by vegetation. I see some linear features with right angles, mostly covered by vegetation, inside the yellow box. The red box to the right encloses more linear features with right angles. The second image is a zoomed view of this location.

The third image shows another location. There seems to be a cave or adit inside the red box.

001.png

002.png

003.png

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread