Question about land ownership.

Barber..

Jan 15, 2012
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm planning a trip for later this year, or next if this year doesn't work out.. and I've got a question about who owns what, as I don't want to trespass on anybody's land, or get into any kind of legal trouble for being where I shouldn't be.. I've searched for maps that would answer my questions to no avail, so I figured I'd ask you all..

If I'm not mistaken the Superstition major I believe I've heard it called, circled in blue, is federally owned, and is restricted to everything except hikers, and horses..

Is the area in the green circle the same as the area in the blue ?

Is the area in the red circle state owned maybe ? I believe it's open to vehicler traffic as I saw trails/tire tracks on google earth ? Except for the bottom left corner where I saw a few houses.

Now the area in the yellow, I would think that the ranch at the end of Gold Rush Rd owns a fair piece of it, but how much ?

Thanks for any info you can give me.

153261628_117899740338253_4019043737767937758_n.jpg

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm planning a trip for later this year, or next if this year doesn't work out.. and I've got a question about who owns what, as I don't want to trespass on anybody's land, or get into any kind of legal trouble for being where I shouldn't be.. I've searched for maps that would answer my questions to no avail, so I figured I'd ask you all..

If I'm not mistaken the Superstition major I believe I've heard it called, circled in blue, is federally owned, and is restricted to everything except hikers, and horses..

Is the area in the green circle the same as the area in the blue ?

Is the area in the red circle state owned maybe ? I believe it's open to vehicler traffic as I saw trails/tire tracks on google earth ? Except for the bottom left corner where I saw a few houses.

Now the area in the yellow, I would think that the ranch at the end of Gold Rush Rd owns a fair piece of it, but how much ?

Thanks for any info you can give me.

View attachment 1904555

The areas you have circled in blue and green are within the Superstition Wilderness, and the red and yellow are Tonto National Forest/State Trust lands. You can go here for permit info.....

https://www.fs.usda.gov/main/tonto/home

Generally, day hiking does not require a permit, but you may need one to park in certain trailheads, especially at times of heavy use. Aside from a few ranch properties within the red and yellow outlines, which are posted with signage, most is open to OHV transport where roads already exist for trailhead access.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread