Sep 25, 2019
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Gold Legend
Primary Interest:
Other
You are correct Sir!

For Idahodutch, you should contact the Feldman's at "The OK Corral". I believe Ron is the only person with a contract to work in the Wilderness Area:

Horseback Riding Apache Junction | O.K. Corral Stables

Mike

Mike,
I did call OK, and they were shutting down early. No new reservations until November.
There was another place, that has a permit, but they were done for the season also.

We ended up backpacking in with lots of water weight.
Had to plan for a short duration in there due to water.

Not a good way to go. The hike in kicked our butts, and we didn’t get to the base camp location we wanted to. We were only going to get maybe one full day as is, not knowing if we would find water or not, so camped near where we stopped.
The next day we found water, and probably could have stayed the week, but we already arranged to be out no later than one extra day ... so we did get an extra day, but didn’t move our camp.

I would not recommend back packing lots of water, unless the trip was going to be just relaxing around camp, or if you are used to carrying heavy packs .... having water packed in at a minimum, for the older hiker, might leave valuable energy remaining for exploring, and enjoying it. :coffee2:

I’m glad we made the trip, but next time ..... we need to do it different. :laughing7:
Not a youngster anymore. :tongue3:

I heard there was some rain recently .... don’t know it was enough to puddle up, but maybe was enough to let things green a little ??

dredgernaut

Dec 27, 2012
wisconsin
Detector(s) used
whites mxt, tesoro lobo super trac., monster1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
saguaro stables is the guide that the forest service uses sometimes.. i have met them on the trail, deep in the wilderness.. they were hauling water for the trail crew after the fire... real nice fellas too...

Barber..

Jan 15, 2012
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a damn shame you can't use four wheelers or side by sides to get back in there..

OP
OP
Idahodutch

Idahodutch

Bronze Member
Sep 25, 2019
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Gold Legend
Primary Interest:
Other
It's a damn shame you can't use four wheelers or side by sides to get back in there..

Barber,
I wonder where the big intersections would be at?
We’d probably complain about slow traffic, and bad drivers :tongue3:

As bad as it can be to get back in there, I think the trade off might not be all that great.
I can live with it the way it is ;)

Singlestack Wonder

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just curious.....are ATV's or dirt bikes not allowed in the Superstition Mountains?

OP
OP
Idahodutch

Idahodutch

Bronze Member
Sep 25, 2019
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Gold Legend
Primary Interest:
Other
SW,
I don’t believe I have actually read the wilderness act, or even know if that is even what it is called; but the impression I got, was no wheeled contraptions.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread