Sep 25, 2019
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Gold Legend
Primary Interest:
Other
Evening all,
I am not a horse person, but have considered the pluses and minuses of getting packed in versus arranging a trip With pack animals, that is self performed.

Good experiences ... bad experiences ...
stuff you’d do different ....

I would enjoy the education, adventures, whatever hits you, is fine with me :icon_thumleft:I’m sure others would enjoy also :)

Edit: in particular, I was curious about keeping the animal(s) in or near the camp, if self performing for packing in.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Idahodutch

Idahodutch

Bronze Member
Sep 25, 2019
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Gold Legend
Primary Interest:
Other
It would seem that certain times of the year would be huge consideration.
The old timers did it, so unless lots of animals, may need only minimal feed as vegetation can be good.
Have heard mules are easier when comes to can eat more stuff than horse ...
Would seem prudent to either be well acquainted with the animal(s) or have someone there who is.

It’s gotta be something that still takes place?” :dontknow:

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I don't know what resources are available in the Superstitions, but
these are things I would consider.

If you're packing in yourself, you'll need enough stock to carry everything
you'll need for you're planned stay, including feed and water for the animals.

What will you use for pack animals? Mules, llamas or horses? Do you know
how to properly load a pannier?

Unless you can rent horses, mules and pack gear from an outfitter, it's going
to be awfully expensive to buy your own.

Given the choice, I'd take an outfitter packing my gear in over doing it
on my own. That outfitters knowledge and experience alone are worth
the extra cost, if any.

twocents-1.gif

OP
OP
Idahodutch

Idahodutch

Bronze Member
Sep 25, 2019
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Gold Legend
Primary Interest:
Other
Dizzy,
What if there was a chance that the stuff you pack .... to be private ?
Does that change your thinking , or ?

OP
OP
Idahodutch

Idahodutch

Bronze Member
Sep 25, 2019
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Gold Legend
Primary Interest:
Other
I’m leaning to thinking someone with that knowledge, if was a known entity, and was also compensated for for knowledge and resources, that it would maybe be better than commercial packers, but purely speculation ....

Perception is there would be more privacy of what you’re doing, if not packed in by a service.
Might just be my perception, and it’s no big deal ... idk

I’d hate to have a hunk of gold pop out somehow for view at wrong time. :tongue3:

Last edited:

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I’m leaning to thinking someone with that knowledge, if was a known entity, and was also compensated for for knowledge and resources, that it would maybe be better than commercial packers, but purely speculation ....

Perception is there would be more privacy of what you’re doing, if not packed in by a service.
Might just be my perception, and it’s no big deal ... idk

If people wanted to be nosy, then tracking a horse/mule caravan isn't hard to do...8-)

Depending on length of stay, an outfitter could pack you in, leave, and
then return with the animals at the planned end of your stay.

OP
OP
Idahodutch

Idahodutch

Bronze Member
Sep 25, 2019
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Gold Legend
Primary Interest:
Other
Last time ... many years ago, did exactly that, got stuff dropped off and picked up at designated place and times.
Decided to have camp .... maybe too far from targets.

Would be nice to camp at or very near target.
Length of stay would most likely be at least 2 weeks.
Plenty of water would be at or very near camp.

Injunbro

Oct 8, 2011
SE Arizoa
Mules are much more sure-footed, stronger, smarter, cheaper to feed & tougher than horses. However since you felt the need to ask you'd be way better off to hire a pro to drop you off & pick you up. Or you could learn the hard way & spend an awful lot of time chasing your mules or figuring out how to get out after your horses die...

OP
OP
Idahodutch

Idahodutch

Bronze Member
Sep 25, 2019
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Gold Legend
Primary Interest:
Other
Mules are much more sure-footed, stronger, smarter, cheaper to feed & tougher than horses. However since you felt the need to ask you'd be way better off to hire a pro to drop you off & pick you up. Or you could learn the hard way & spend an awful lot of time chasing your mules or figuring out how to get out after your horses die...

You only give 2 options, .....
Behind door number 3 .... talked about having someone with, that was the animal expert.

Your suggestion on mules seems to be dittoed.
Is there a reason for the lead of a mule train to be a horse?
You had not mentioned, but it was brought up. Thought I would throw the question out there.

Injunbro

Oct 8, 2011
SE Arizoa
You only give 2 options, .....
Behind door number 3 .... talked about having someone with, that was the animal expert.

Your suggestion on mules seems to be dittoed.
Is there a reason for the lead of a mule train to be a horse?
You had not mentioned, but it was brought up. Thought I would throw the question out there.

Finding an expert to go along is a good idea, the problem is finding one whose trustworthy. I currently don't know anyone I trust who, like me, isn't too crippled & old. A lot of folks prefer to ride a horse, whether leading a pack train or not, I'm not among them. General Crook, Geronimo & Jesus all preferred mules (or donkeys), me too.

OP
OP
Idahodutch

Idahodutch

Bronze Member
Sep 25, 2019
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Gold Legend
Primary Interest:
Other
Joe,
Good info :)
Agreed on the expert.
Might have to go with reputation for consideration, would like more.. I have some old friends, but as you say “old like me”
Plus they are not into treasure hunting several states away. ... :laughing7:

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If I were taking the risk of riding into steep, mountainous terrain, I'd
take a mule over a horse every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Mules are much more sure footed, and they won't freak out every time
a butterfly comes by. If you get a good mule, trust him/her and they'll
get you there in one piece.

A good mountain horse is a rare critter, but they are out there. A horse
is going to need much more input from the rider, whereas a mule just
looks back at you and says "Sit there and shut up, I got this".. moose.gif

Last edited:
OP
OP
Idahodutch

Idahodutch

Bronze Member
Sep 25, 2019
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Gold Legend
Primary Interest:
Other
Dizzy,
Sounds like for the Supers, mules might be a good choice, for the non expert rider.
I think I fall into that category. :laughing7:

Thanks for those tidbits. :icon_thumleft:

Last edited:

Injunbro

Oct 8, 2011
SE Arizoa
I enjoy mules, horses are a poor 2nd choice. Watch a mules ears when riding: 1 forward 1 back is normal, when they twitch they're sorting out a sound, when both go ahead there's something going on up there, when they go back to 1 each way, all is good but when both go back things are going to get western real fast! A horse can be convinced you're the boss but a mule views you as a pardner @ best & often someone who needs them to babysit you... they're usually right.

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everyone is different, but since you asked... for me personally, I'd pay someone to haul all the gear and supplies I would need for however long you intend to stay out there and have them come back out to get you at the end of your "adventure."

A number of years ago an acquaintance and I spent a long weekend camped out by Whiskey Springs just exploring the area. We hiked in while someone we knew with 2 mules hauled all our stuff out there. He stayed out there one night with the mules then headed back out and came back 3 days later to get our stuff out while we again hiked out.

The amount of work our friend with the mules did was WAY more than I imagined would be necessary. Maybe he was just "babying" his mules - he clearly treated them well, but if I had agreed to get involved in taking care of them, packing them up on both ends, etc... while it would have been interesting, it wasn't a priority for me on that trip.

They also kept us awake that first night stomping on the ground and causing a racket at all hours. On a positive note, I felt confident nothing was going to be able to sneak up on us! :)

Basically, if you want to learn how to work with mules/horses for future endeavors out there that's fine, but if you only get out there once in awhile and have your agenda of exploration to do, let someone else do the work with the animals.

OP
OP
Idahodutch

Idahodutch

Bronze Member
Sep 25, 2019
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Gold Legend
Primary Interest:
Other
Cubfan,
That’s a great response. Lots to weigh.
Going to need to really think on it.

Thanks for sharing. :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
Idahodutch

Idahodutch

Bronze Member
Sep 25, 2019
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Gold Legend
Primary Interest:
Other
Good morning all,
Thank you all for the input.
Lots to think about.

As much as I like the idea of being able to come and go with transport in hand, it comes at a cost of some freedoms to take care of the primary task, because you can’t disregarded animals needs. They can come up at all times.

It is also not the same secretive hunt anymore.
Who would steel it from us.... maybe the govt, but probably not the outfitters. (unless gold popped out)
It’s a different time, and probably time to adjust my thinking somewhat.

Great tips on the mules. Life’s not over yet :)

Last edited:

Barber..

Jan 15, 2012
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unless I missed it, nobody mentioned the most important aspect of working with animals.. That would be trust, The owner/handler of the mules know the animal, and the animal knows them.. They have spent a lot of time with each other.. Something you won't have If you were to rent mules..

OP
OP
Idahodutch

Idahodutch

Bronze Member
Sep 25, 2019
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Gold Legend
Primary Interest:
Other
Unless I missed it, nobody mentioned the most important aspect of working with animals.. That would be trust, The owner/handler of the mules know the animal, and the animal knows them.. They have spent a lot of time with each other.. Something you won't have If you were to rent mules..

Barber,
Very true words .... bonds of trust go a long ways. :)

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread