I will never order anything from Kellyco!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DiamondDan

Apr 21, 2016
Robbinsdale, MN
Detector(s) used
White's M6; Tesoro Compadre; Minelab E-trac; Bounty Hunter QD2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Last night I put in a order with Bart from Bigboyshobbies for a Compadre with a 5.75" coil. This morning I got an email from him stating that he was out of stock, and therefore had issued me a refund. Very fast response. Seems like a good guy. I'll do business with him again.

This morning on break, I called Kellyco wondering why on their website it said free shipping, but during checkout I had to pay additional for machine shipping. Got the customer service rep on the line, and man was he something special.

First thing he asks when I told him what machine I want is: "are you buying it for a kid, or what?" I told him, no, it was for me.
Couldn't get a word in edgewise with this guy as he basically belittled me for making the wrong machine choice and he described the Compadre as a "worthless machine." That is a DIRECT quote.

I finally got really mad and told him in a few choice words thay his attitude sucks and he had just permanently lost Kellyco a customer. Kellyco is doing themselves a huge disservice by having a customer rep like that.

Too bad Bart couldn't come through. I will gladly do business with him again, but after one interaction with Kellyco, I've had enough and will never buy anything from them!

Rant over.

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DiamondDan, please do not attack our supporting vendors. The sales rep Steve was trying to help you, the Compadre is a very entry level detector, I have used and it is not one I personally would ever recommend to an adult friend because it is one you quickly out grow. If I was a sales rep I also would try to guide an adult to a better detector or at least advise them.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DiamondDan

DiamondDan

Apr 21, 2016
Robbinsdale, MN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
DiamondDan, please do not attack our supporting vendors. The sales rep Steve was trying to help you, the Compadre is a very entry level detector, I have used and it is not one I personally would ever recommend to an adult friend. If I was a sales rep I also would try to guide an adult to a better detector or at lease advise them.

Wih all due respect, sir, he was NOT trying to help me. He was extremely condescending and rude, and was speaking to me like I didn't know what I wanted. I work WAY too hard for my money to give it to someone that treats a potential customer like crap. Perhaps if negative reviews are not appreciated because the vendors give money to the site, the forum title should be changed to "Vendor Praising Reviews".

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your disagreement with Steve has nothing to do with kellyco as a supporting vendor.

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
Wih all due respect, sir, he was NOT trying to help me. He was extremely condescending and rude, and was speaking to me like I didn't know what I wanted. I work WAY too hard for my money to give it to someone that treats a potential customer like crap. Perhaps if negative reviews are not appreciated because the vendors give money to the site, the forum title should be changed to "Vendor Praising Reviews".

At any-time during your transaction you could have asked to speak with someone else, TH was only pointing out the rules that are clearly stated just under the Start A New Thread button "Please post up your vendor reviews in this section. Keep your post clean and civil and just state the facts."

Your post was not clean or civil; its one thing to give a review on a vendor but to just come out and name a person whilst remaining behind only your user name is far from ethical.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The compadre has no sensitivity setting, no ground balance and the coil is hardwired on so you can't change the coil to a different coil. It is a very basic detector for a beginner or a child which I am sure is what the sales rep was trying to say.

OP
OP
DiamondDan

DiamondDan

Apr 21, 2016
Robbinsdale, MN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
At any-time during your transaction you could have asked to speak with someone else, TH was only pointing out the rules that are clearly stated just under the Start A New Thread button "Please post up your vendor reviews in this section. Keep your post clean and civil and just state the facts."

Your post was not clean or civil; its one thing to give a review on a vendor but to just come out and name a person whilst remaining behind only your user name is far from ethical.

Duly noted and edited.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Something wrong here. That's not the Kellyco I know, bought my first detector from them circa 1981, ended up buying about 11 more as time passed. Spent half a day in their shop in November, danged near a museum. All the folks I met and talked to there were straight up and very helpful.

In my experience, I can't agree with this posting. I hope this thread has a better ending. I'm a pretty particular and critical individual, and I have nothing ever to complain about my service with them.

OP
OP
DiamondDan

DiamondDan

Apr 21, 2016
Robbinsdale, MN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Something wrong here. That's not the Kellyco I know, bought my first detector from them circa 1981, ended up buying about 11 more as time passed. Spent half a day in their shop in November, danged near a museum. All the folks I met and talked to there were straight up and very helpful.

In my experience, I can't agree with this posting. I hope this thread has a better ending. I'm a pretty particular and critical individual, and I have nothing ever to complain about my service with them.

If you had good customer service with them, that's great. Seems to be the standard response from most people that deal with Kellyco I wish I had. That's why I was so pissed when I was treated badly. I expected their reputation to proceed them, and it failed miserably.

I'm a welder by trade, and you won't last long in my business if you don't have thick skin against some **** being thrown your way on a regular basis. However, I know the difference between being given a hard time and someone treating me like an idiot. The guy was completely unprofessional and a jerk. I'm the kind of person that usually doesn't give a second chance to people when I've been slighted, and unfortunately for Kellyco, this employee was the face of their business for me.

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Let's not lose sight that this forum, sponsored or not, still needs honest reviews of customer service by our sponsors. Yes, we need to be civil, keep an open mind and try to stay factual however.

The Rep may need more training, the OP may need to rethink the conversation to see where the upselling could have been less offensive, and help the rep out with that info.

The OP could have just said, "Look, this is what I want, let's move on," and been done with it but - he is upset enough to post, so let's hear both sides, settle it, learn, and move on!

Seabees

Jan 3, 2014
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
-Whites & Minelab-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DiamondDan I had a similar outcome a few years ago. I to will not do business with them again.
On a side note: I think it is very unprofessional that a company would choose to represent a brand and then put them down.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DiamondDan I had a similar outcome a few years ago. I to will not do business with them again.
On a side note: I think it is very unprofessional that a company would choose to represent a brand and then put them down.
The sales rep didn't put the brand Tesoro down, the rep advised a customer a model of Tesoro, the Comparde detector, is a beginner detector with major draw backs and more geared to a child or very beginner adult. No sensitivity setting, no ground balance, no ability to change coils, those are all major limitations. I would have been upset as a buyer if a sales rep hadnt advised me of its limitations if I was buying.

Sent from my P008 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have dealt with K-co for what seems to be eons now...
I have purchased at LEAST ... 7 detectors through them... countless add ons ... a few pinpointers... etc. etc.

Only once was there a problem with my order where the something was incorrect and I was sent the wrong color item. (via request - detector bag)

You know what they did ?

They sent me the correct item PLUS extras... FREE and did not want the other bag back... immediately.

That one act solidified me with them.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PS... brand new stock ML x2 detector bag for sale :P

Status
Not open for further replies.