Detector Pro Amphibian II head phones rant

newport74

Aug 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab Ctx, Garrett PP,
I purchased a pair of these headphones for my ctx3030 (Not Inexpensive) late January 2021. The plastic at the thumb screw failed after approx 4 uses 2x at the beach 2x land hunting a park.

Contacted detector pro as need these repaired pins were bent from cable pulling free of the thumb screw.
Sent them in on march 5th today I receive this reply:

After inspection by the technician who built this headset, it is clear that the plastic did not fail on the plug. The plug was clearly twisted and broken in two pieces which takes a lot of brute force. It clearly states on the product warranty that when misuse/abuse is the cause of the issue - you will be responsible for the cost of the repair. Therefore, you will be invoiced as follows: Cost of plug $19.95, Cost of labor $15, Cost of return shipping $7.95. The repairs are complete and as soon as the invoice is paid, it will be released for shipping.
Be advised, our technician has noted that the plug was so mangled two of the pins were broken off and these pins may still be stuck inside the jack on your machine. If that's the case, it’s likely the jack was damaged by the look of the twist in the remaining pins.

This scenario isn't even close to what actually happened . The brute force would be from where the thumb screw? This plug is keyed to the socket so if it was twisted I would expect for the socket to be damaged as well (photo) clearly it is not 20210329_113534.jpg I responded with a dispute to their description of events. Of course I got no response .
The warranty states it doesn't cover bent pins due to misuse abuse which is subjective anyway, We connect these head phones to a machine that is swung side to side up and down and set on the ground. I certainly did not torque the connector of my 165.00 headphones onto my 2500.00 metal detector as seems to be implied also the cord on these is quite long so would be difficult to pull that way .

Wondering has anyone else had a bad experience with their service department?

Waiting on a response But I think that will never come

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread