Weve a new Forum! Survival Tips!

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
Cool ! My number 1 tip. Live in a place that has alot of food and not many people. NOT the other way around. I'm surrounded on all sides by cattle & corn fields.

Togreenfeet

Silver Member
Apr 30, 2013
Florida
Detector(s) used
Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is awesome when I get a moment I have a great post great idea gang!!!!!!!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

Togreenfeet

Silver Member
Apr 30, 2013
Florida
Detector(s) used
Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok here goes my first input- need direction? Are you lost? No worries- take a 3 foot stick place it vertical in the ground, mark the tip of the sticks' shadow with another vertical stick. Good now wait 15- 20 minutes mark the new shadow of the tall stick. Place your left foot at the base of the first little stick,and your right foot at the base of the second little stick. To your left is west, you are facing north, your right is east , behind you is south. Yes it is called the " shadow tip method" don't read too much into this it is quite simple. Or youtube shadow tip method for finding North. Yes the longer you wait the more accurate your"compass" will be. I have lead you down the path "Grasshopper" Hope this gets this thread going thank you

Last edited:
OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
We had two posts which were moved to this new forum. Now I've added 17 new threads to get this kicked off. I hope there is something here for everyone, and everyone will think a little differently about the future. All of these threads can make a difference - save us money, point in a different direction, or at least provide food for thought.

Now I look forward to tips from many others - I could sure stand to learn a whole lot of things!

gusser

Dec 23, 2013
Central Penna
Detector(s) used
copper dowsing rod and a smaller 1 for a pinpointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have been preparing for many years. I teach basic survival to local youth groups and their parents. These kids really enjoy learning how our forefathers did things. Look up bushcraft on you tube. Research survival methods, then go on a weekend "bug out" with nothing but the clothes on your back.

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I have been preparing for many years. I teach basic survival to local youth groups and their parents. These kids really enjoy learning how our forefathers did things. Look up bushcraft on you tube. Research survival methods, then go on a weekend "bug out" with nothing but the clothes on your back.

Good, or rather GREAT direction my friend. Let's keep it going for all those who need us :)

Togreenfeet

Silver Member
Apr 30, 2013
Florida
Detector(s) used
Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A small plastic travel soap container works really good to hold your fishing kit in. This you can carry in a cargo pocket.

gusser

Dec 23, 2013
Central Penna
Detector(s) used
copper dowsing rod and a smaller 1 for a pinpointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Better to be prepared and not need it, than to be caught with your pants down.

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
good idea for a thread. Gotta pick and choose on what is really practical though. A lot of tips will be great if it covers your particular circumstances.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok here goes my first input- need direction? Are you lost? No worries- take a 3 foot stick place it vertical in the ground, mark the tip of the sticks' shadow with another vertical stick. Good now wait 15- 20 minutes mark the new shadow of the tall stick. Place your left foot at the base of the first little stick,and your right foot at the base of the second little stick. To your left is west, you are facing north, your right is east , behind you is south. Yes it is called the " shadow tip method" don't read too much into this it is quite simple. Or youtube shadow tip method for finding North. Yes the longer you wait the more accurate your"compass" will be. I have lead you down the path "Grasshopper" Hope this gets this thread going thank you

Awfully complex. Since you would need to have sun to cast the shadow, this is much easier. When you face the sun in the afternoon north is on your right, and when you face the sun in the morning south is on your right. I like to keep it simple.

jrpoppapump

May 23, 2004
north eastern new mexico
Detector(s) used
garrett ace 250, white's dfx 300, garrett pro pointer (R.I.P. to my Garrett gta 500)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
as long as zombie, zombie apocalypse, and vampires are left out. however i'll tolerate "how to survive a chupacabra attack"

GreenHat

Mar 3, 2014
Martinsburg, WV
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Great Post!
Important to note that in the southern hemisphere you follow the directions as listed above but you stand facing the shadow stick and the direction of the shadow stick will be north.

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
Keep an empty aluminum drink can or two close by always. It can be cut open and turned inside out to make a reflector, to signal for help, start a fire or left whole to boil water in case of emergencies. Also can be made into a stove or a lantern, if you can find some pine tree wax oozing out of a pine tree. Also always carry a couple of bandanas in your glove compartment, they can be used to make a cap, scarf, headband, or can be used as a wash rag or tourniquet in case of emergencies. In hot climates they can be soaked in water to help keep you cool. Just soak and tie around your neck or pull over your face in a dust storm. They can also be cut or torn into strips to make a rope or to use as fire tender. Be prepared, stay safe. Good Luck. rockhound

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread