Why You Shouldn’t Use A Gun When The Grid’s Down

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Why You Shouldn?t Use A Gun When The Grid?s Down | Off The Grid News

Written by: John Cagle Extreme Survival October 31, 2014

Imagine for a moment that you’re living in a post-grid age, one where self-reliance and resolve takes the place of grid dependency. No longer do you have the assurances of the local grocery chain or department store to keep your family fed and clothed. Instead, you must depend on your own skills to get you by.

You’ve also adapted well to the situation at hand. You’ve always been prepared for the worst, and making sure that you would be ready to face the challenges of 19th century living that had long been forgotten by the grid-dependent has been the life preserver that has kept you and your family afloat during these trying times.

One of the ways that you had prepared for your new way of life was to stock up on ammunition – and plenty of it. After all, you knew before you started preparing that retaining the ability to efficiently hunt wildlife would be an integral part of your new lifestyle.

But now you’re second-guessing yourself. Sure, firearms had served you in the past whenever you were hunting recreationally, but you’re living in a different world now, a world where other people are growing more and more desperate by the day, where other people are roaming the countryside and looking for sustenance, supplies, ammunition…

A world where other people might be drawn to the noise that your trusty rifle emits each and every time that you bring down an animal.

You’re probably thinking by now that anyone drawn to gunfire would have to be crazy, but that would be the reality of a post-grid world. The fact of the matter is that you will want to do everything that you can to avoid drawing attention to yourself and your family.

That’s why you should consider familiarizing yourself with bowhunting – the practice of hunting game by means of archery.

A History Of Bowhunting Proficiency

Most people are familiar with modern-day bowhunting, which usually involves the use of a compound bow or crossbow. But did you know that people have been hunting with bows and arrows for thousands of years?

Throughout the last century, archeologists have found prehistoric bows, arrows and arrowheads of different makes and materials across 6 of the 7 world continents. Mankind’s utilization of the bow and arrow for hunting and battle has been documented in ancient texts like the Old Testament and Sun Tzu’s The Art of War, as well as cave drawings and art that predate written history.

A long video, hour and a half......

Second only to man’s discovery of fire, the bow and arrow together are time-tested weapons that have helped human beings close the gap between ourselves and our intended prey while remaining a safe distance away.

Fire may have kept us warm through the ages, but the bow and arrow kept us fed.

How Bowhunting Can Help You In An Off-Grid Scenario

Most experts agree that a grid failure would set our society back to the mid-19th century. In fact, that’s exactly what happened during the Carrington Event of 1859, when an enormous solar flare hit Earth head-on, producing currents that were strong enough to knock out the few electronic devices (primarily the telegraph systems) that were being used at the time.

Our flourishing civilization today is the result of more than 150 years of technological advancements that we have grown dependent upon – advancements that can literally be wiped out by an event like a solar flare in just a few seconds, so think about this: If society reverts to a 19th century landscape, then one needs to contemplate what means of production were available during the 1800s to provide sustenance for a family. Horses were used for transportation and plowing fields. Wood was used to build cabins and barns while heating homes during the winter months. And, of course, people hunted for a portion of their food.

When you imagine a 19th century hunter, you may be picturing a Davy Crockett-like character — a man stalking prey through the big woods with his faithful .40 caliber flintlock in hand. While hunting with rifles and pistols may have made perfect sense during this period of wide-open spaces and large homesteads, a down-grid situation in the 21st century provides different challenges.

This is exactly where bowhunting proficiency comes into play. Consider the following benefits of learning how to hunt with a bow and arrow:

1. Bows are quiet. This is by far one of the greatest benefits of learning archery to prepare for a down-grid scenario. No powder, no bang, just a quiet “thump” of the string when the weapon is fired. Bowhunting in an off-grid world will allow hunters to harvest food for their families without drawing unnecessary attention to themselves or their homestead.

2. Bows are simple. While many modern types of bows come equipped with moving parts like cams and levers, the basic physics behind every bow is the same. Bows are nothing more than string-and-stick weapons that utilize stored energy in the limbs by transferring it to a projectile when the string is released. While the advanced bows of today provide the hunter with better features like easier-to-hold draw weights, glow-in-the-dark pin sights and composite limbs, the principles that have made them effective weapons for millennia still remain.

3. Bows and arrows are efficient. The bow and arrow is certain to be the most efficient weapon that you can have. Arrows can be reused, strings can be replaced, and with a few back-up parts for a compound bow or crossbow, your system can last you for decades. Even should your original equipment expire, it doesn’t mean that your bowhunting skills were all for naught: Bows can still be produced with readily available supplies like sapwood and bamboo, while the strings can be fashioned from hemp, vegetable fibers and even rawhide.

Bowhunting has brought mankind from the dangerous days of bringing down big game with spears and crude instruments to filling dinner tables with food that can be attained safely and consistently. Learning how to hunt with a bow and arrow in preparation for an off-grid scenario will ensure that you and your family have a means to hunting game both large and small, without drawing unnecessary attention to yourselves.

And in an off-grid world, that can mean the difference between finding a target, or becoming one.

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is interesting to think of ways to survive in a non electronic world, but the truth of the matter is most would not.

Even those that are prepared, would have to be on guard 24/7 to protect what little they had, and this is practically impossible with the typical 2 or 3 people family unit.

I live in Amish country, where old time ways of living are alive and well, but no Amish I know are self sufficient.

As far as hunting for food, the settlers 200 years ago wiped out the game as they moved west, can you imagine how quickly game would disappear today?

I'm puttin' my head back in the sand..............

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
They're starting to say we'll be eating insects.... Yetch!!!

But I do have far too many of them anyway....

Bullet:Mich.

Mar 20, 2003
Michigan USA
No one living off of the land with their trading and bartering can be completely self sufficient because it takes hard cash to pay our land tax's. The Amish are some of the closest people to it.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
An interdependence of a network of trusted people required.Easier said than done and even in religious circles may become tested.
Or a life of a coyote, stealing and keeping as invisible a profile as possible.
A bow is conspicuous. Easily targeted for theft by firearm.
A diversion and planned attack would null any potential use as a defensive weapon.
Hunting for sustenance while keeping a low enough profile and being able to at the same time not become the hunted will burn more calories than obtained once the animals catch on. A discharged fire arm would attract attention without a silencer so best to be on the move and not do it near your home base however temporary.
I would trade the bow for traps. They work while you are doing other things and require less mobility and caloric cost.
Roving organized gangs that do their homework could sniff out any value to an individual or groups possessions, food stocks, ect.
Organised meaning experience in efficient recon, diversion and attack.
While a shot could lure them; in a bow will not hold them off long; if they even are to be held off.

Last edited:

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
As far as hunting for food, the settlers 200 years ago wiped out the game as
they moved west, can you imagine how quickly game would disappear today?

Couple things to consider here:

The settlers took the game they could easily access, meaning most
of the game they took was within a mile or so of the trail. They didn't
wipe out the game, as if they had there would be none today.

Another thing to consider in a "doomsday" scenario is that a large
majority of the human population would be quickly deceased. Be it
famine, flood or disease, the world's population would be greatly
diminished.

Very few today actually have the needed skills to survive in the
wild. It's not just taking a critter for food, but knowing what else
you can take from that critter that will help sustain you.

ADS: Great article on the bow. Spent many years hunting game
using only primitive methods. Materials for the bow, atlatl and other
needed tools are readily available to those who know where to look,
and how to form these resources into needed tools for survival.

I'm not a fan of eating bugs, either, but keep in mind that scarfing
down a few fat earthworms will give you more usable protean and
vitamins than a Big Mac.
eating-02.gif~original

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
bow and arrow?? what an idea!!
And here I have been practicing jumping on a deer's back and cutting his throat while he's running!
A bow would be much easier

GMD52

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2013
Lake Champlain, Vt.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to agree with RC, in a survival situation, firearms do draw attention, and bows are hard to carry and conceal,( although I am now experimenting with a crossbow). Most survival experts will tell you that you protect you and your family with your firearm, but provide your sustenance with foraging and traps. Snares, deadfalls and manufacture traps are easy to learn, silent and easy to store and carry. You might not like the idea of trapping and the harm done to the poor animal, but we are not talking about civialized times.....when the stomach reaches your backbone, join me and others at our campfire.....a bit of "natures Bounty" will be mighty tasty.....Gary

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey ,I like archery. Just would seem outgunned.
On one of the crossbows I am in the process of mounting a rangefinder on top of the scope. Awkward to tote about discreetly though.

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
Anyone interested in surviving an upcoming scenario like this should go into the woods, take minimum gear with them, and see how easy it is to survive. There is a show on the weather channel called "fat men in the woods", where the host takes three men of various backgrounds and experience into the forest to survive for 5 days. He teaches them basic survival methods of making fire, building a structure to keep them dry and warm, and also how to make a snare to catch animals. He also teaches them how to secure and purify water. The last day and night is spent by themselves to make fire and shelter. They come away hungry, but better prepared for whatever that comes. Bow hunting is great, so is snares, traps, deadfalls, and another thing most people overlook is an air rifle. They are quite. powerful and can take down any small to medium game. Ammo is cheap and readily available. The break barrel nitro piston ones will last many years with little maintenance, as will the pneumatic ones. Good Luck. rockhound

GMD52

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2013
Lake Champlain, Vt.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RC, found a smaller, but somewhat slower crossbow that has recurve limbs rather than compound wheels and pullys. I'll let you all in on the results of shooting it more when the weather up here finally breaks.....gary

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As far as bows go,a cross bow would be the way to go.But even with that you are still limited on range which would make the odds of bagging dinner that much less,in a starving hungry situation.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm using recurve crossbows. Easier than toting a portable bow press should string need changed or brace height need adjustment.
This guy has a bit, o.k. a lot, more practice at longer range....and around 80 to a hundred f.p.s. om me.

Last edited:

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Couple things to consider here:

The settlers took the game they could easily access, meaning most
of the game they took was within a mile or so of the trail. They didn't
wipe out the game, as if they had there would be none today.

Another thing to consider in a "doomsday" scenario is that a large
majority of the human population would be quickly deceased. Be it
famine, flood or disease, the world's population would be greatly
diminished.

Very few today actually have the needed skills to survive in the
wild. It's not just taking a critter for food, but knowing what else
you can take from that critter that will help sustain you.

ADS: Great article on the bow. Spent many years hunting game
using only primitive methods. Materials for the bow, atlatl and other
needed tools are readily available to those who know where to look,
and how to form these resources into needed tools for survival.

I'm not a fan of eating bugs, either, but keep in mind that scarfing
down a few fat earthworms will give you more usable protean and
vitamins than a Big Mac.
eating-02.gif~original

By wiped out, I didn't mean to extinction. Except for Eastern Elk, Passenger pigeon.

But whitetail deer and Turkey were totally wiped out of many states, only with restocking programs funded mostly with sportsman's dollars, have they been able to make a strong come back.

make no mistake about it, with today's human populations, and high tech weaponry and traps, if the food pipeline ever got totally shut off, in a matter of months it would be hard to find a squirrel.

Bullet:Mich.

Mar 20, 2003
Michigan USA
Man about wiped the Buffalo out and it wasn't for food either, they took the hides and left the meat to rut. It was all about greed. Very few wild quail any more in this part of Michigan.

GMD52

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2013
Lake Champlain, Vt.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
while history will have accounts of the impropiety of the elimination and destruction of a species or a race, that's irrevelent here....we are talking about a time that if it occurs we will be in the world surrounded by no rules, one where you depend on gathering and processing food and protection foe the survival and continouence of yourself and your family. Conservation and the law has been removed from the equation.....remember," In any conflict, the boundaries of civilized behavior are defined by the party that cares less about morality"..R W White.

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
Where I live, game has moved into the rural and cities boundaries. Ducks and geese are all over, some almost tame, but with a food shortage or economy slowdown, many of these would disappear quickly I suppose. Deer have also moved into the suburbs and are living inside the city limits in most places. Seems there is more security for them there. You need to be careful driving in the city, especially at night. In the two national forests close to me there are many deer, bears and small game. Grouse and quail often decline for a few years then rebound, some ay it is a seven year cycle. Squirrels and rabbits are plentiful around here, as are groundhogs, raccoons and opossums. All are edible and even some are very tasty prepared right. If things were to get really bad, I would have no choice but to move far back into the wilderness to survive. Becoming a hunter-gatherer living off the land. Good Luck. rockhound

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hunt with bows and arrows I make myself, being a long time student of the bowers and fletchers craft, but wouldn't hesitate to use a firearm in self defense. Let's not forget the simple slingshot as a foraging tool either, it's easier to make than a bow and can be set up to shoot arrows with enough velocity to be able to take down deer sized game. Cheers!!

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
This guy is so dead wrong it isn't funny. It seems like he is basing this on the WHOLE population surviving.

This is pretty much how it is going to play out:

1. Most cities only have a three day supply of food. As some 84% of our population now live in "cities", they are going to tear them selves apart rather quickly. You'll have roving gangs preying on the unprepared and weak. The unprepared and weak will be eliminated rather quickly. Then the semi prepared will be next. However, the semi prepared will be able to eliminatesome of the roving gangs thus trimming their numbers.

2. The lack of clean water and all the dead bodies laying around will lead to disease outbreaks thus trimming the numbers even further. No amount of food or ammunition will protect you from a cholera epidemic which results from water or food being contaminated with fecal matter. This is a very possible scenario considering the lack of sanitation with a grid failure.

3. By the time the survivors move from the cities, after exhausting all resources, very, very few will have the ability to attack and steal any resources. And many of those would be eliminated after trying to attack the average farmhouse.

The biggest part would be surviving the first 90 days. After that, it would be up to you and your wits to survive a post grid failure world.

First 30 days would be absolute chaos. The strong would pray on the weak trimming the numbers. 30-60 days would see a lot of disease running rampant from the dead bodies contaminating most water supplies. 60-90 days would see only the very strong, very lucky, and well prepared surviving a grid failure.

By the time everyone stops waiting for the "government" to come and save them, it will be too late and they'll be dead from one thing or another. In a best case scenario, maybe 20% of our population would survive. And those survivors would understand that in trying to "steal" from another survivor would be too big of a risk as they obviously have the same skills as the one trying to "steal". Much easier and safer to hunt and gather your own food.

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We could always build a new life, under the Sea.:laughing7:

SS

Top Member Reactions