Am I a Prepper? A list of information and links I follow

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I had a very nice private message from a member asking if I was a Prepper, and what sites & forums I followed. So I responded with the following information, and thus thought it might appeal to some of you reading this:

There's two areas where I've focused over the years. I've subscribed to Mother Earth News for pushing 40 years, and Organic Gardening (Now OG) for just about as long with the goal of self sufficiency. I realized most importantly that food is pure survival. Did you know that once your growing methods are perfected, you can grow enough vegetables on 140 sq ft to feed a person for a year. An acre is essentially a football field in area, and that would feed 32 people for a year. The other area I've looked at is in security. Other than those two areas, I've also prepared for a potential collapse of the monetary system.

Additionally, I have all 12 volumes of the Foxfire series - important to know how the old folks did things.

As for specific sites I frequent:

Off The Grid News | Better Ideas For Off The Grid Living
http://www.prepperwebsite.com/
http://www.builditsolar.com/Projects...Space/Main.htm
rocketstoves - www.ErnieAndErica.info
permaculture articles by paul wheaton

And then the forums are:

Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum
Hot Topics
www.prepperwebsite.com
Energetic Forum

There are many, many sites and forums. These are just the ones I have bookmarked - as in the past I found information of value on each of them. It's very important to look at contrasting views of things. Just because one person said it doesn't mean it will suit you. One of the curses (or gifts) of my life is that I'm a compulsive reader and student. When I find a subject which interests me, I devour it. I've always been that way.

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
There are many theories and discussions about the perfect bugout shelter, should something happen. My theory is that a cave with running water, fed from an underground spring would almost be the perfect location. Needing no heating or cooling, only a small fire for cooking, almost invisible to the outside world. The entrance could be camouflaged or walled up and an alternate entrance made to conceal its presence. Stockpiled with dried goods and some canned foods, you could set up a small water wheels generator for lights and pumps to grow an aquaponic system. It could be your renewable and sustainable food source, plus the fish would offer an added food source. Mushroom could also be grown in this manner. By damming you the water source you could create a reservoir for drier periods. Dried grains, fruits, nuts, plus canned fish, chicken, spam, oils and of course peanut butter. Shake or crank flashlights, radios, and rechargers for GMRS and cell phones could be used and also solar and or a wind turbine in secluded places. Maybe not ideal, but certainly cheap and handy if you have access to one. A bow, crossbow or slingshot could add wild game to your menu also. Good Luck. rockhound

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread