‘Low-Tech,’ ‘Old-Fashioned’ Way to Make DIY Gunpowder…Using Your Urine

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
?Low-Tech,? ?Old-Fashioned? Way to Make DIY Gunpowder?Using Your Urine | Video | TheBlaze.com

Jun. 15, 2015 2:28pm Liz Klimas

How Cody from CodysLab on YouTube makes his own gunpowder is “low-tech,” “old-fashioned” and “natural.”

Cody has a firearm to protect his expansive property and in the video he cited an example of when he’s been glad to have his gun.

“I’ve never had to shoot anyone, but you know, if the world goes to hell you may have to,” he said.

“I prefer something that can take them out from a long range,” he added, tapping the firearm slung over his shoulder. “I’m pretty good with it and I’ve got a lot of bullets saved up, but you know, I don’t have an unlimited supply. … So today I’m going to procure a supply of potassium nitrate so I can make gunpowder.”

On a tarp, Cody laid down a pile of straw and added crushed limestone to it.

“I need to add lots of nitrogen for the bacteria to oxidize and turn into nitrate. I could use fertilizer, but that’s going to get expensive … instead I’m going to use urine,” Cody said. “Basically all my pee that I’ll produce this summer is going to go into this pile.”

diy-gunpowder.jpg

After that though, he said it would need to sit for the rest of the year.

In the end, Cody estimated that he’d get 10 to 12 grams of potassium nitrate from his DIY gunpowder endeavor.

Cody had similar setup in a black trash bag aged 18 months that he tested for his viewers.

He leeched out some of the product with water. He then added this liquid to wood ash, which he said contains sodium carbonate and potassium carbonate.

After a few hours he had a less cloudy solution with solid products precipitated out. Cody boiled down the solution. The process continued as he refined his product, and Cody eventually ended up with some dry nitrate crystals.

nitrate-crystals_1.jpg

Collecting other ingredients — charcoal and sulfur — and adding them to nitrate crystals, Cody then demonstrated how his DIY gunpowder could shoot a lead ball out of his makeshift gun, a metal pipe that he loads musket style.

gunpowder.jpg

Success!

Check out his video:

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What I find useful is having enough gunpowder stored so I don't have to whiz in anything.
It is even easier if shooting/reloading is your hobby....... :occasion14:

audigger53

Mar 27, 2004
Severn, Maryland
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
The problem with black powder is when you make "Corn Granular Crystals" and then try and grind them for "Good" black powder. The crystals are piezoelectric and can make their own "Spark" and blow up. That's why the normal life of a Fireworks factory is like 3 years. The stuff he is making will work, just not the range as what you can buy. Horse manure as it ages also is a source for KNO3. Just a few things I learned while still in H.S., a Loooooong time ago.

Tejaas

Sep 8, 2012
TX Hill Country
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO ~ Propointer ~ Modified Lesche ~ Predator Little Eagle ~ Royal Picks ~ Marshalltown Trowels ~ Sift Tables/Screens
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Poor guy.

Between his tough talk and all that pissing on a tarp - he must not have the time to find what he really needs - a freakin' girlfriend.

[emoji38]

But seriously,

Here in my area, like numerous places elsewhere - the local confederate sympathizers utilized our caves/cavern systems to obtain bat guano for the sole purpose of refining for saltpetre/niter.

Some are still utilized today for agriculture - fertilizer supplement.

A lot of those same caves/caverns also hosted stills during Prohibition.

~Tejaas~

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread