Staying out of trouble and knife fights

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
http://familysurvival.club/how-to-defend-against-knife-attacks/

August 26, 2015 Jason Richards

Everyone could use self-defense training. Why? Because you could be the victim of a violent crime, regardless of your age, sex, or size. When considering self-defense, it is important to understand your limitations. It is equally important to be sure that you are able to identify your surroundings at all times to assist in any self-defense techniques that you may be forced to use. This is often referred to as self-awareness.

If you practice the art of carefully evaluating your surroundings, and know what you are physical capable of, you are sure to prevent a lot of dangerous situations that you may possibly experience. When alone, it is important to ensure that you display an air of confidence that others can see. If you are faced with a dangerous situation, it is important to ensure that you maintain this level of confidence.

Increasing personal safety always commences with awareness. Since an attack is more than likely unpredictable and you could be facing serious injuries for a wide-ranging variety of reasons I want to offer you basic awareness advice.

9 Tips To Increase Your Awareness

1 – Think before you speak. Most people get involved in physical trouble as a result of saying something rude, offensive, tactless, stupid or hurtful. Controlling what comes out of your mouth can keep you out of trouble.

2 – If a fight breaks out in a bar – leave immediately. Go before all the drunks and brawlers start swinging chairs, bottles, glasses and punches. A “free for all” usually starts with just two protagonists. Innocent bystanders often get hit. Those who leave all the fools to bash each other do not.

3 – Never attempt to mediate an argument between a man and a woman. Both will cease arguing or fighting with each other and turn on you – the common enemy. If you fear for the woman’s safety, call the police.

4 – Avoid people who are “off the planet”. Understand that many people these days have a cocktail of drugs and booze in their veins. It makes them argumentative and aggressive. Even a casual glance at them can set them off. Leave them with their own demons.

5 – Don’t make the fatal mistake of thinking that people fight “fair” anymore. Those days are over so you should expect multiple attackers, weapons, possibly both.

6 – Run if you can. The cemeteries are full of dead heroes. Don’t add to their number. There is no shame in avoiding a fight. In fact, running away is smart.

7 – Be aware of your surroundings. If you’re facing an attacker, look around you. Could someone come and help you? Is he alone or are others hiding and ready to help at all times?

8 – Recognize objects in every room of your home that could be used as makeshift weapons. Home invasion is a growing curse these days due to the unwillingness of our governments to protect their citizens.

9 – Negotiation is a far higher art form than physical confrontation. Do anything reasonable to avoid a fight. Nothing good ever comes out of conflict. Wars are living proof of that.

Knife Defense Basics

Real attacks, by people who know a knife’s properties and true potential, are a blur of short, stabs and cuts that are nearly impossible to stop. An attacker, with any idea of what he or she is doing, will crush you with a shower of cuts that will begin at the nearest body part and end in a vital target. Within a few seconds you may lose your fingers, have severed tendons of your arms, and be finished with a stab to your eye, or throat, or chest.

Although it sounds terrifying unfortunately that’s the truth, but there are ways to fight this scenario. How do you do it and what is the best way of thinking? First of all, my best advice would be to avoid knife fights. It doesn’t matter how good you are, if you’re bare handed and in street clothes, and the other guy has a combat knife, you’re at a serious disadvantage. If you can, run away. If you have to give up your wallet to run away, do it. Knife fighting is messy and bloody.

If you see you are about to be attacked, you need to act quickly and harshly. And you must always remember that if your enemy is eager to fight with you, he is sure in his superiority. If he is alone and is not too strong or tall, but still wants to fight, it means most likely that he is either armed or trained of some martial art.

The Unexpected Key To Staying Alive

The key here is not to avoid getting cut, but to make sure that when you get cut, it’s on a part of your body where it won’t permanently injure you. Try to block his wrist with yours, barring that, block his blade with your forearm. It’ll hurt, but you have to get through the pain to follow up with the punch.

Principles And Techniques Of Knife Defense

You’re going to get cut. Repeat after me: You’re going to get cut. Again, I say. You’re going to get cut. Be prepared for it, understand that it can happen and that it will hurt (when you’re getting cut) and hurt a lot less immediately after. The trick is to make sure that you do as much damage to your assailant as you can, while turning the least amount of damage to yourself.

The basic knife attack is a thrust or a slash delivered with the forward hand, sort of like a punch. The knife is used to add those critical four inches to your reach. Most people aren’t particularly trained at knife fighting, so they use a natural punching motion.

What to do: Interpose your hand, or better yet, the outside of your forearm on the line of attack. Just like you do an inside block or outside block on a punch, you do the same thing against a guy with a knife.

The next technique is to know the range. He’s going to attack on a line. There are a few steps that will get you out of an otherwise deadly situation.

What to do: You need to be aware of that line and be able to turn tangential to it. Shove his blade off the line while you move in the other direction and block before you counter punch. In Western fencing, this would be called a riposte, and it teaches you that the block automatically breaks the line of the attack and lets you counterattack immediately. Use the range either step in with the punch or step away. This is a great chance to do a joint lock, so, by all means, do it.

Put your mind and body to the test, all in order to achieve two main objectives:

A) Disable your attacker

B) Run away

As long as you protect your body’s vital parts, everything else is up for grabs. And you should risk it all to win the fight. Punch for the groin, and go for the eyes. You aren’t fighting fair, you aren’t fighting for points, you’re fighting to survive.

To sum up all I’ve told you into one essential advice, be prepared for all scenarios, be confident in your own strength and above all, stay alive.

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
BH Lone Star, BH Tracker IV, BH Tracker 2-D/707, Harbor Freight MD-3005, and 2 BH 840
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
They will be better off not to bring a knife to a gun fight. I'm too old to fight, so I carry. Here in Idaho, we can carry concealed, anything that can be used as a weapon, if we have a concealed weapons permit. It's also an open carry state. I know several men who carry a holstered handgun on their belt anytime they are outside of their home. I haven't carried openly but do carry concealed anytime feel there is more than a small possibility of danger; that means almost all the time. Where I live is a small, quiet little town; but it's only about 40 miles from a major city. It's not worth taking a chance of getting killed when a person can protect themselves with a little knowledge. Thank you for the article. I found it very interesting!

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How To Defend Against Knife Attacks | The Family Survival Club

August 26, 2015 Jason Richards... Knife Defense Basics

Real attacks, by people who know a knife’s properties and true potential, are a blur of short, stabs and cuts that are nearly impossible to stop. An attacker, with any idea of what he or she is doing, will crush you with a shower of cuts that will begin at the nearest body part and end in a vital target. Within a few seconds you may lose your fingers, have severed tendons of your arms, and be finished with a stab to your eye, or throat, or chest.

Although it sounds terrifying unfortunately that’s the truth, but there are ways to fight this scenario. How do you do it and what is the best way of thinking? First of all, my best advice would be to avoid knife fights. It doesn’t matter how good you are, if you’re bare handed and in street clothes, and the other guy has a combat knife, you’re at a serious disadvantage. If you can, run away. If you have to give up your wallet to run away, do it. Knife fighting is messy and bloody.

If you see you are about to be attacked, you need to act quickly and harshly. And you must always remember that if your enemy is eager to fight with you, he is sure in his superiority. If he is alone and is not too strong or tall, but still wants to fight, it means most likely that he is either armed or trained of some martial art.

The Unexpected Key To Staying Alive

The key here is not to avoid getting cut, but to make sure that when you get cut, it’s on a part of your body where it won’t permanently injure you. Try to block his wrist with yours, barring that, block his blade with your forearm. It’ll hurt, but you have to get through the pain to follow up with the punch.

Principles And Techniques Of Knife Defense

You’re going to get cut. Repeat after me: You’re going to get cut. Again, I say. You’re going to get cut. Be prepared for it, understand that it can happen and that it will hurt (when you’re getting cut) and hurt a lot less immediately after. The trick is to make sure that you do as much damage to your assailant as you can, while turning the least amount of damage to yourself.

The basic knife attack is a thrust or a slash delivered with the forward hand, sort of like a punch. The knife is used to add those critical four inches to your reach. Most people aren’t particularly trained at knife fighting, so they use a natural punching motion.

What to do: Interpose your hand, or better yet, the outside of your forearm on the line of attack. Just like you do an inside block or outside block on a punch, you do the same thing against a guy with a knife.

The next technique is to know the range. He’s going to attack on a line. There are a few steps that will get you out of an otherwise deadly situation.

What to do: You need to be aware of that line and be able to turn tangential to it. Shove his blade off the line while you move in the other direction and block before you counter punch. In Western fencing, this would be called a riposte, and it teaches you that the block automatically breaks the line of the attack and lets you counterattack immediately. Use the range either step in with the punch or step away. This is a great chance to do a joint lock, so, by all means, do it.

Put your mind and body to the test, all in order to achieve two main objectives:

A) Disable your attacker

B) Run away

As long as you protect your body’s vital parts, everything else is up for grabs. And you should risk it all to win the fight. Punch for the groin, and go for the eyes. You aren’t fighting fair, you aren’t fighting for points, you’re fighting to survive.

To sum up all I’ve told you into one essential advice, be prepared for all scenarios, be confident in your own strength and above all, stay alive.

The truth about knife fights is this, unless you have trained for months and have muscle memory and a lot of luck, you need to run or find a baseball bat quick! Knife fights are over in SECONDS. Think about how fast some of these drug addicts and bad boy criminals can punch you in the face or stomach. Now put a knife in their hand. "How to stay alive" articles are great, but useless.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
A gun in holster, concealed.

Person with knife from 10' away and suddenly lunges at you.

Knife wins. Every time.

#7 Is what I consider the most important. Situational awareness. Always, everywhere. It has to be second nature.

-stolen from the internet....

Consider this. How long does it take for you to draw your handgun and place two center hits on a man-size target at seven yards? Those of us who have learned and practiced proper pistolcraft techniques would say that a time of about one and one-half seconds is acceptable for that drill.

> With that in mind, let's consider what might be called the "Danger Zone" if you are confronted by an adversary armed with an edged or blunt weapon. At what distance does this adversary enter your Danger Zone and become a lethal threat to you?

We have done some testing along those lines recently and have found that an average healthy adult male can cover the traditional seven yard distance in a time of (you guessed it) about one and one-half seconds. It would be safe to say then that an armed attacker at 21 feet is well within your Danger Zone.

NEPADIGGER7

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2013
Downtown Lehman
Detector(s) used
minelab safari,whites m6, AT Pro, Ace 250 and whites coin master, Garrett AT propointer (garrett carrot), Lesche hand digger, 5x8 & 8.5x11 DD coils for the Pro, Camera is Ion Air Pro 3
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
They will be better off not to bring a knife to a gun fight. I'm too old to fight, so I carry. Here in Idaho, we can carry concealed, anything that can be used as a weapon, if we have a concealed weapons permit. It's also an open carry state. I know several men who carry a holstered handgun on their belt anytime they are outside of their home. I haven't carried openly but do carry concealed anytime feel there is more than a small possibility of danger; that means almost all the time. Where I live is a small, quiet little town; but it's only about 40 miles from a major city. It's not worth taking a chance of getting killed when a person can protect themselves with a little knowledge. Thank you for the article. I found it very interesting!

I agree. I live in Northeast PA in the woods. But its like the wild west anymore in my town and surrounding towns especially the Scranton wilkes barre hazleton area. Crime is through the roof. But my S&W 40 is ALWAYS on me. I treat it like i do my wallet and clothing. when detecting i carry open...when out and about concealed. i was almost a victim at a park downtown metal detecting and once the bums saw i was carrying one man shook his head no to the other(saw out of the corner of my eye) and they left. Sometimes its a deterrent sometimes its provocative but regardless im carrying.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will take my Springfield .45 over a knife any day...... I carry mine 99.5% of the time including gas stations, grocery stores, theaters, malls, parks, flea markets, beaches and even tourists attractions... I always carry when detecting...

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi; I carry a 9mm Blue Steel Smith & Wesson. I will show it if I even get the slightest hint of trouble. It usually works. Here in Boston, the big city, you meet every type of lunatic you can think of. There is a HUGE Opiates problem here. There are more junkies than normal folks. Half of these junkies are on Angel Dust or PCP. When they are on this stuff they feel absolutely "NO PAIN" at all literally and they show to have Super Human Strength. I am very highly trained in Martial Arts and Self Defense but I would NOT want to go against one of these guys. I have made it a RULE to carry my piece during my journeys downtown. I have had 3 occasions where I have had to actually pull it. This is a no fun scenario because here in Boston you must stay where you are, wait for the Police to show up and then go through a plethora of paperwork and you had better make sure the suspect does not get away at all. Cops hate to chase them. At any rate you are guaranteed a trip to the Station.
Me, I'd rather run away but if I can't I promise I will shoot. I aim for the legs or other non vital areas of the body if I can. If not then the suspect is in for a world of hurt.
BOTTOM LINE: If you can "RUN". If you can't pick up the nearest object and use it to your best advantage if not throw it at him and then RUN ok.
Forget trying to reason with these nuts. They "ARE" literally out of their minds and don't care about you at all.There is literally no rhyme or reason as to why they will choose to attack you "LITERALLY". REMEMBER: They are Deranged and Desperate So "PLEASE" use all cautions at all times ok.
PEACE:RONB :leprechaun-hat:

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Florida changed its law, you can legally show your weapon and or fire a warning shot if you feel threatened.

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi TH; We need more Laws like Florida. These perps are NUTS for sure. I just thank God I have never had to actually shoot one. Here in MA they have more Rights than you do. Sickening for sure. I don't care. I will shoot if ever needed. PEACE:RONB

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When in undesirable areas or being approached by shady or suspicious strangers I place my hand close to my pistol, after practice I have learned to bring my firearm into firing position in a matter of 1.5-2 seconds. I also at times carry more than 1 firearm having multiple conceal holsters for different parts of my body..

NEPADIGGER7

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2013
Downtown Lehman
Detector(s) used
minelab safari,whites m6, AT Pro, Ace 250 and whites coin master, Garrett AT propointer (garrett carrot), Lesche hand digger, 5x8 & 8.5x11 DD coils for the Pro, Camera is Ion Air Pro 3
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi; I carry a 9mm Blue Steel Smith & Wesson. I will show it if I even get the slightest hint of trouble. It usually works. Here in Boston, the big city, you meet every type of lunatic you can think of. There is a HUGE Opiates problem here. There are more junkies than normal folks. Half of these junkies are on Angel Dust or PCP. When they are on this stuff they feel absolutely "NO PAIN" at all literally and they show to have Super Human Strength. I am very highly trained in Martial Arts and Self Defense but I would NOT want to go against one of these guys. I have made it a RULE to carry my piece during my journeys downtown. I have had 3 occasions where I have had to actually pull it. This is a no fun scenario because here in Boston you must stay where you are, wait for the Police to show up and then go through a plethora of paperwork and you had better make sure the suspect does not get away at all. Cops hate to chase them. At any rate you are guaranteed a trip to the Station.
Me, I'd rather run away but if I can't I promise I will shoot. I aim for the legs or other non vital areas of the body if I can. If not then the suspect is in for a world of hurt.
BOTTOM LINE: If you can "RUN". If you can't pick up the nearest object and use it to your best advantage if not throw it at him and then RUN ok.
Forget trying to reason with these nuts. They "ARE" literally out of their minds and don't care about you at all.There is literally no rhyme or reason as to why they will choose to attack you "LITERALLY". REMEMBER: They are Deranged and Desperate So "PLEASE" use all cautions at all times ok.

Go BoSOX!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ill shoot them instantly if they pull a knife

Tom_Restorer

Gold Member
Oct 5, 2009
Primary Interest:
Other

-

Something about knifes.

Anyway if you carry a weapon, if the guy with a knife is less than 5 Meters away from you, you didn´t have any chance to pull your weapon and aim on him, specially if you have any locking system on your holster! Ask a good trained police men if you don´t believe me or go to YT and watch videos that shows exactly that situation! In most cases the guys who want to have something from you are much closer before they pull and point a knife on you! The best way in such cases is to run! If you are to old to run way from a much younger guy, simply give them what they want and shoot them in the back when THEY run away from you after stealing your money and don´t forget to give them a second one right through their balls when you got him :laughing7:! Anyway, a knife fight is always a bad chose because you WILL get cut!! And if you got cut on an artery inside your arm, you simply bleed out in less than 7 Minutes and most of those attacks happen when no one is around who could help you in any way. Also in a Stress situation you can bet that the attacker will use the knife more than one time to take you out if you try attack him.
I have a black belt and would do a sh*t if someone points a knife on me!
Better try to learn to read peoples facial and eye impressions! Most psychos can´t hide their intentions and if you carry a weapon you just can put the hand on it and unlock it if they are more than 5 Meters away from you.
Also, I think most of you guys from open carry states just feel safe because in such states knife attacks are quite rare! This thugs are not stupid and know they can got shot if they attack only with a knife. So don´t get fooled with thinking a gun can protect you 100% !!

:occasion14:

Last edited:

XLV

Jul 27, 2016
South East Asia
Primary Interest:
Other
This is a old thread like me since am banned from carrying a firearm what i use is a can of bear spray it works better in the big cities with gangs remember to hold your breath and run like a bear on all 4's when used or you be a victim of a WMD

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread