Preparing to go "off grid".

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
With all the problems I see coming in the next few years and the sheer instability I see it causing, the wife and I have decided to start preparations to go "off grid" for many of our needs. While we are not going completely "underground", we WILL NOT be reliant on the local grocery store for much.

I am going to put a lot of the preps here for others to follow suit. Most of this is going to be done as cheaply as possible, but some things will need to bought and they are on the expensive side.

First up, the chicken hoop house and then the greenhouse. A little video to keep ya all interested until I get this in play.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
This thread slipped in under the radar! Good luck! The only thing I've done this year so far is work with my berry bushes. I set out strawberries, blackberries, blueberries, raspberries, goji berries, and wineberries last year.

Those "store bought" grape plants I set out last year aren't much more advanced this year yet - but they're still alive. I'm surrounded by wild Fox grapes, but they're a bit overgrown. I picked maybe a quart of them last year, but saved the seeds. I'm thinking I'll sprout and plant them around my garden fence so they can run on it.

I planted a "postage stamp" orchard of dwarfs last year. Nine trees and two didn't make it. But I've got seven fruit trees, and a pear tree which could be 200 years old and still bears fruit. I've four mature black walnut trees, but last year was an off year on nut production.

In times to come there will be delicious treats every year.

Keep the faith on your adventure! Make sure you plant lots of berries & fruit trees! Many of us agree with your reasoning!

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
I thought of going off the grid. My friend suggested I should just turn off the electricity and water to my house. Anyway best to you on your new adventure.

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought of going off the grid. My friend suggested I should just turn off the electricity and water to my house. Anyway best to you on your new adventure.

Unfortunately most municipalities will not let you do that.

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
Just don't pay the bill and see what happens. You will be off the grid in no time at all. Good Luck. rockhound

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just don't pay the bill and see what happens. You will be off the grid in no time at all. Good Luck. rockhound

Doesn't work in some places. Not paying the bill will get you a ticket to jail. They cite sewer and water cleaniness as issues
involving public health.......

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread