Automobile Dash Cam - Who Uses One?

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
After being forced out of my lane by a trucker who I'm guessing decided I would either move or die, I decided to get a Dash Cam Rexing Dash Cam ? Dash Cam Expert I've been using it for several weeks now, and I have already caught several close calls on tape (people running red lights, stop signs, making left turns out of the right lane). I'll never drive without one again.

Anybody else using one?:skullflag:

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't have one yet Terry, but I've been thinking about getting one. This day and age we need one for legal self protection!

OP
OP
Terry Soloman

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My gal got ours on Amazon. It was about $100.00 however we had to also buy the 32gb sd memory card to put in the camera ($27.95). It has a "looping" function, so that it can just "loop" back every 10-minutes if nothing happens. It also has an auto save tied to an internal g-force monitor in case something hits you, or you have to brake hard. Super clear HD quality on my computer as well. I really feel a lot more secure with it in the car.

fuzzytexan

Feb 7, 2015
East Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've had one for 12 months, nothing crazy yet.

Beamed from my AT Pro [emoji769]

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I already see how stupid most people drive the first time...

I don't want to see them do it again. :P

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My company truck has had a Drive Cam in it, had it for about 8 years or so...
It is always on, but not recording.....BUT, there is a mercury switch inside, and if an event triggers that switch...
It freezes, saves the previous 10 seconds, through the last 5 seconds.
Benefits: Makes us better drivers...
Big insurance breaks for my company
Saves our a$$ when one of you non CDL drivers does something stupid.
Not really any drawbacks to the drive cam, unless you want to get written up, suspended, or fired, for violating company safe driving rules. I have zero incidents this year,(knock on wood)...wanna keep it that way.
Smoking, no seatbelt, cell phones, food/drink, any distracted driving, all grounds for "coaching".... The company's catch phrase for last chance.
My company doesn't fool around with guys who don't take it serious....after 16 years, still going strong

OP
OP
Terry Soloman

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OP
OP
Terry Soloman

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I already see how stupid most people drive the first time...

I don't want to see them do it again. :P

That isn't what they are for AARC. It's so the JURY can see the stupid person crashing into you. 8-)

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
That isn't what they are for AARC. It's so the JURY can see the stupid person crashing into you. 8-)

Thanks for the confirmation Terry.

I see a lot of traffic accident videos from Russia on Youtube. I'm kinda thinking they're really getting to the point of being essential for us here in the future.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
We've been using a dash cam for a couple years now. Started with an E-Prance, but there were too many problems. Now have a Matego Blazer MG600E. Had quite a time trying to figure out how to mount the camera on the rear view without covering up the light sensor for the mirror, yet while being able to take it out of the vehicle when needed. Is not good to have these dash cams sitting in a very hot vehicle day after day. Most won't last more than a year or two when exposed to such heat. They may still work, but if you pay close attention to the recordings, you'll often find where the "loop" isn't working correctly. Meaning, it's "supposed" to record over the oldest files first. However, on the E-Prance cameras, they were being written over at random - sometimes files as new as 5 minutes would vanish into thin air. Made the cameras completely unreliable!

E-Prance finally had to stop selling that model, and have all but gotten out of dashcam sales. Is too bad too, cause the picture quality was absolutely top of the line!!

The Matego is good, but I sure do wish the E-Prance cameras would have been better engineered!

On our many miles of backroads, it's normal for us to see deer, bear, various birds, etc. Having a camera with such fantastic picture quality makes for much more use than just security purposes.

OP
OP
Terry Soloman

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
We've been using a dash cam for a couple years now. Started with an E-Prance, but there were too many problems. Now have a Matego Blazer MG600E. Had quite a time trying to figure out how to mount the camera on the rear view without covering up the light sensor for the mirror, yet while being able to take it out of the vehicle when needed. Is not good to have these dash cams sitting in a very hot vehicle day after day. Most won't last more than a year or two when exposed to such heat. They may still work, but if you pay close attention to the recordings, you'll often find where the "loop" isn't working correctly. Meaning, it's "supposed" to record over the oldest files first. However, on the E-Prance cameras, they were being written over at random - sometimes files as new as 5 minutes would vanish into thin air. Made the cameras completely unreliable!

E-Prance finally had to stop selling that model, and have all but gotten out of dashcam sales. Is too bad too, cause the picture quality was absolutely top of the line!!

The Matego is good, but I sure do wish the E-Prance cameras would have been better engineered!

On our many miles of backroads, it's normal for us to see deer, bear, various birds, etc. Having a camera with such fantastic picture quality makes for much more use than just security purposes.

Heat was one of my main concerns being a transplant from Arizona, where it was common to see old ladies driving their Buick's with oven mitts on in the summer! The camera we ordered detaches from the mount easily, and was tested in high heat The Rexing Dash Cam passes The High Heat Test ? Rexing Dash Cam I usually take it off the dash anyway when I park because Yo! It's New York! Luckily, I have a cool garage. :skullflag:

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
That's the nice thing about the Matego Blazer. The camera can stay mounted on the mirror if you choose, or you can get creative like me and make a slip-on cover out of stiff, clear plastic (clear to let light through for our light sensor). I DO NOT like the rear view mirror in our truck!! Anyway, the rest of the system can sit anywhere you want, as it is ONLY the camera that is exposed. The rest of the system can stay in your glove box if you wish.

The cameras aren't what is so fragile to the heat - it's the electronics. So I got this camera as the electronics and display can simply be unplugged and carried in - or placed in an insulated bag in the car for storage.

OP
OP
Terry Soloman

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow, that didn't take long. :censored:

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Idiots abound! At least you were paying attention and could avoid.

What's with the time stamp Terry? It's upside down.

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't have one but would like to get one in near future! Especially here! People seem to ignore the double yellow line in this state! They are constantly coming left of center! I think it's because out where we live, in some areas, if you go a foot or two off the road there are some pretty big dropoffs, so they hug the center...It's the only thing I can think of...Or the roads aren't crowned here as much as they are in the North...

Last edited:

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Some people drive hugging the center line, as the line helps them stay on track as they daydream about other things.

Some people consider that "everything" between the lines is fair game, so it shouldn't matter whether they are on one side or the other, in the middle, or all over the place, provided they stay within those lines.

Then you have the OCD crowd (like me :laughing7:) that prefers to hug more the outer line, keeping maximum distance between myself and the fools rushing towards me 30-40MPH over the speed limit!

OP
OP
Terry Soloman

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Idiots abound! At least you were paying attention and could avoid.

What's with the time stamp Terry? It's upside down.

New user error! I had the camera mounted upside down :dontknow: I know, what a dummy! :laughing7: I flipped the picture on YouTube, and remounted the camera in the car. :occasion14:

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
:laughing9: Good one! It looks like your cam just sits on the dash, rather than being mounted to the windshield or rear view mirror. it may be tempting to continue doing it that way, but keep in mind that if you're in an accident, that camera will become a projectile.Me, I ain't gotta worry. My head is one of the hardest substances known to exist in the world!! :tongue3:

As our rear view has electronics built into it, the non-mirror side of it doesn't go straight across. When I got the camera and tried to figure out how to mount it, the camera wouldn't face forward correctly. Also, I didn't want to mount the thing permanently on the windshield. So I found some strong, clear plastic and made a removable holder - hanger - whatever you wanna call it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread