Protect Yourself Against The EMP Threat: The Faraday Cage

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Somehow I ended up on the Jason Richards (Family Survival Club) mailing list. Sometimes he throws in some reasonable tips:

A Faraday Cage (or Faraday Shield) is a sealed enclosure that has an electrically conductive outer layer. It can come in the form of a box, a cylinder, or any other closed shape. The material from which the container is built can have conductive properties or not. This doesn't really matter that much, since the entire box will be wrapped in a conductive material (such as aluminum foil).

Basically, this is how a Faraday cage works:

1. The conductive layer reflects incoming fields.

2. The conductor absorbs incoming energy.

3. The cage acts to create opposing fields.

All of these principles work together to safeguard the electronics inside from excessive field levels. Although the Faraday cage works better in case of a high-altitude nuclear explosion (aka EMP attack), it's not bad to have it at your disposal in case of a solar EMP. The solar EMPs do a lot less damage then a nuclear EMP would do, so for that, we are thankful, but as you just read, the CME left a lot of people without electricity so you can never be too careful.

Building Your Own Faraday Cage

Let's get right to it. You will have a means of protecting your electronics in no time.

This picture actually represents the building steps of a Faraday cage. It's really THAT easy to build and it's tested against EMP pulses

How Thick Should The Conducting Layer Be?

The skin effect already determined the thickness of the conductive layer before we ever had a chance to do so. The skin effect describes the tendency of the current to flow primarily on the skin of a conductor. As long as the conducting layer is greater than the depth of the skin, it will provide top notch shielding because the absorption loss will be high. So, wrapping a box in a couple of layers of heavy duty aluminum foil (about 24 microns thick) can be a good idea if you want to protect against high-frequency radiated fields.

You don't have to worry on what type of conductor you'll use for your cage. The conductivity of nearly any metal will be good enough to allow the carriers to easily realign to cancel the external fields.

Another question that causes confusion when building the Faraday Cage is whether the cage should be grounded or not? Grounding the cage has little to no effect at all on the field levels present inside the box. Grounding only helps the cage to keep it from becoming charged and perhaps re-radiating. Long story short, an ungrounded cage protects the contents from EMF (electromagnetic fields) as well as a grounded one.

I Have a Lot Of Electronics And I Need A Larger Cage!

It's true that in this day and age we all have a lot of devices and electronics that make our life easier from day to day. Storing them might require an entire room. The engineers who work in electromagnetics often use these kinds of rooms to conduct experiments because they filter out interfering signals.

You can make a shield room right at home by using a closet. You'll need to cover it up with heavy duty aluminum foil on all four walls, the floor, the ceiling and the inside of the door. Make sure that you place a piece of plywood or cardboard on the floor so that you can walk in it without damaging the aluminum foil.

Overlap and tape the seams using cellophane tape as there can be no conductive penetrations into the room. Cover all electrical outlets, light switches, etc with aluminum foil and DO NOT PLUG anything into the electrical outlets.

You should have by now a decent comprehension on what EMP is and what kind of damage it can do to our country. Because we don't know much about EMP and EMC (research was conducted in other departments which are more likely to cause disasters like atomic bombs and such) it makes the phenomenon the more dangerous.

100acre

Aug 10, 2016
Asheville NC
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Super Traq,
Garrett AT PRO w/ 5x8" coil
Garrett Carrot,
GG Amphibian HP,
40"ground shark
Keene A52 Sluice box
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For all my extra electronics I placed everything in a plastic trash can inside of a 55 gallon steel drum with removable and lockable lid.

Swaveab

Jul 21, 2015
Southwest PA
Detector(s) used
Safari
Primary Interest:
Other
The only trouble is is that the stuff has to be in it at the time of the event and most people do not know when an event is likely to take place. FYI, a strong bolt of lightning near you can also induce EMP. What many don't realize is that outside wires from the utility act like an antenna to EMP and can pick it up and send it off many miles by way of those same wires. Items plugged in at the time even if inside a faraday cage could blow out from it being fed via the wires. That means if the microwave oven is plugged in at the time of the event it nullifies the protection to the items inside.

Last edited:

davin

May 10, 2011
north idaho
Detector(s) used
whites GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
is it true that if you park a car, truck etc. on rubber pads that it will block a emp ? i read this along time ago but it just does not sound right.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
When it comes to shielding for an Electro-Magnetic Pulse (EMP), aluminum
foil is about the last material I would use. It's shielding effectiveness is minimal,
and it is not durable at all.

I grew up in the RF/Microwave shielding business, and spent many years
representing the manufacturers of RF, Magnetic and Microwave chambers.
I'm not an engineer, but know shielding better than most of 'em.

An EMP is a wave of massive power at very low frequencies. The aluminum would
be decent for high frequencies (microwave) and somewhat beneficial at RF freq's,
but absolutely useless at low freq. magnetic shielding.

If you want to learn something about shielding (at least a little bit) then
check out this article:

http://ets-lindgren.com/pdf/emctd_1293_weibler.pdf

You best material for an effective, all around shield chamber would be
copper screen. Shielding coverage must be 100%, with no unfiltered
wires entering or exiting the chamber
. It must have a door that also
is shielded, and it must make solid electrical contact with the door frame,
which in turn is bonded to the room.

All four walls, ceiling and floor must be electrically connected, AND GROUNDED
to a solid ground (like a water pipe or 6' copper ground rod pounded deep in
the soil). You can't expect a material to absorb the massive power of an EMP
and then then give that energy no place to go.

Solid shield rooms are generally made from modular panels. Take a 3/4"
particle board and cover both sides (right to the edge) with a sheet of
28ga. galvanized steel. You can either clamp them together using a
"hat and flat" (piece on the inside and a piece on the outside that essentially
clamp the two panels together). The other option is to weld ALL the seams.

You can also buy a new or used RF shield room from a company such as
DJM Electronics. These rooms are used for testing products and doing
measurements, and are often available on the used market for less than
$10k. You do not need anechoic material on the walls.

Although I retired from the industry back in 2011, I still have many contacts
within the field, and can usually come up with a used room or two if you are
serious about it.

Last edited:

Primus Palus

Apr 3, 2017
Denver, CO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If an EMP is unleashed on you (your neighborhood, state, country etc)... protecting yourself from it is the least of your worries. I'd spend time, money, and every investing in home defense (weapons, ammo, food supplies) before I'd ever think about EMP defense.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
will I be safe if I wear my suit of armor all the time? ( it is made of aluminum foil)

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
is it true that if you park a car, truck etc. on rubber pads that it will block a emp ? i read this along time ago but it just does not sound right.

its already on rubber pads.... tires

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If an EMP is unleashed on you (your neighborhood, state, country etc)... protecting yourself from it is the least of your worries. I'd spend time, money, and every investing in home defense (weapons, ammo, food supplies) before I'd ever think about EMP defense.

Well stated.

An EMP from an air-burst nuke (or meteor) is going to take out the entire
communications infrastructure, including cellular and digital data. A cell phone,
even if it is shielded from the burst, will be all but useless. A satellite phone that was
in a shielded space may operate, depending on your location. Basically,
anything electrical, connected to an electrical grid, or electronic is going to be...toast

If such an event were to occur, having resources and the knowledge of how to survive
would be far more important than saving a laptop.

FWIW, EMP events don't generally announce themselves in advance, so unless you're
going to leave your devices in that shielded space 24/7/365 then it's not going to
do you much good.

Last edited:

4x4x4

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2017
Southern California, outside of San Diego
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

AND the cell phone systems will most likely be down anyway....

Holyground

May 17, 2014
Not in the can
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT GOLD, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All you have to do is to sleep in a 55 gallon drum. During the day time, walk around with a metal bucket on your head.

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I understand the idea. But in a situation like that what would I be looking to save? I try to think of what electronics I would actually need in a survival situation and....can't think of any. I'd be more concerned of something being directed and used on us. I think we are already there with the tech, I wonder if a type of faraday cage would work in protecting from something like that. I don't know enough about this stuff to even try to sort it out.:laughing7:

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
IF someone sets off a nuke or several nukes at high altitude over the U.S., seeking to knock out our grids with EMP pulses, you can kiss your arses goodby. They will soon be followed by the rest of the nukes, because ours will be on their way to the perps. A limited nuclear exchange is pure fantasy, IMHO. There will be so many warheads in space, passing each other on their way to their respective targets, any thought of fighting for each other's foodstuffs afterward is silly. Although we have treaties, supposedly limiting warhead yield, do you not think the super weapons of multi megatons are not in our arsenal, and our opponents?

Here, take a look. These weapons were set off when atmospheric testing was still going on. No Faraday Cage will help you. We, as citizens should hope this does not occur. bombs.jpg

Swaveab

Jul 21, 2015
Southwest PA
Detector(s) used
Safari
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow, this thread is still going.

@Holyground-Putting yourself in a drum isn't necessary as nothing will happen to you in an EMP event from an upper atmospheric nuclear detonation. If the nuke is detonated near the ground and you're in the vicinity of ground zero you most likely will be history even if in that drum. If the radiation doesn't get you the concussion will and in that case who cares if your TV got fried?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions