Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By EastCoastmetal
  • 1 Post By smokeythecat
  • 1 Post By DeepseekerADS
  • 2 Post By Tpmetal

Thread: Freeze Dryers , anyone have one?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    Charter Member
    ca
    Sep 2016
    Nova Scotia
    Garrett AT Pro International
    2959 times
    Metal Detecting

Freeze Dryers , anyone have one?

Thinking about getting a freeze dryer, but know little about them, like can they really preserve some food for 25 years, how much power do they use, are they as good as all the hype says?

Thanks.
    DeepseekerADS likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Chris

May 2011
    Western Mass.
    Whites M-6 W/ DD6x10 SunRay DX-1 (A real sleeper)
    13307 times
    The one everybody else missed.
    I would like to have one.

https://harvestright.com/store/

GOD Bless

Chris
    ​EVER WONDER WHERE YOUR THOUGHTS COME FROM ?

Anger is what keeps you emotionally lost in your head and blind to reality.

8 For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the Lord.
    9 For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts. Isaiah 55:8-9

For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high
    places. Ephesians 6:12

​7 minutes could change your lif​e...
    http://antidoteforall.com/

Charter Member
    ca
    Sep 2016
    Nova Scotia
    2959 times
    Metal Detecting
    Well so far i am not convinced its worthwhile, they cost a lot, take a lot of time to process, which means higher energy cost , then maintenance cost.

Probably wont be getting one, have plenty of options that cost very little now, cold storage for potatoes and the like, vacuum jar sealer for dry stuff like rice, beans etc. plus the trusty freezer for meats etc.

The freeze dryer would be nice if the costs were lower, much lower.
    DeepseekerADS likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    XP Deus, Tesoro Cibola
    12476 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (5)
    All those ads play on fear. I figure I can stock up a month's or two worth of food real cheap. If we get into a SERIOUS situation, like asteroid or huge war, all bets are off and someone will come and steal yours and mine after they do whatever they want to do first. No preparing for a worldwide catastrophic event, which is their sales pitch. 25 years worth of food that radiation or 20 degree below zero outside temps, that just don't add up. No it don't. Don't not. Naw. Fuggetaboutit.
    EastCoastmetal likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2013
    SW, VA - Bull Mountain
    CTX, Excal II, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
    14286 times
    Digging in the dirt & scooping in the water!
    This is an interesting thread. I've tried gardening and I guess it will take a couple more years before I'm capable of feeding myself. But I'll get a lot skinnier living just on my own production.

I did purchase a bucket of survival food in packets more than 4 years ago as I was planning my retirement.

Other than that, I've got to get myself in gear here. In my perspective and paranoia, end of times is just right down the road now.
    EastCoastmetal likes this.
    Republic of Vietnam 10/69 - 3/71, Cambodia April 27, 1970 on a mountain top with HUGE scorpions

"'He jests at scars who never felt a wound'" c.s.lewis - 1940

The Ten Commandments: http://www.godstenlaws.com/ten-comma.../#.UdAz65yynZg

The Bill of Rights: http://billofrightsinstitute.org/fou...ill-of-rights/

The Constitution: http://www.archives.gov/exhibits/cha...ranscript.html

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    XP Deus, Tesoro Cibola
    12476 times
    Banner Finds (5)
    There are lots of delicious deer around here......

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2013
    SW, VA - Bull Mountain
    CTX, Excal II, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
    14286 times
    Digging in the dirt & scooping in the water!
    Quote Originally Posted by smokeythecat View Post
    There are lots of delicious deer around here......
    A sad story in response to this, but I agree from the survival standpoint.

I remember when I first retired and came home here to my ancestral home - 3 years and a few months ago. I was going to cut some wood, and standing in my backyard there was a herd on deer passing on the opposite ridge heading further up the mountain. A following morning there was a flock of maybe as many as 30 turkey passing that ridge again up the holler.

I felt like I was in heaven here, I'm not a hunter, don't kill critters which don't want to hurt me. I'll find a way to feed myself thank you. I'd seen too much death already.

The 3rd year later, there are no deer in the yard or on the ridge. I haven't seen a turkey since that sighting.

The neighbor at the head of my kilometer long driveway, at the highway - I took her to dinner last week just to have a peace between us - although I will say that I've had very good chemistry when around her.

I walked her back into her house - she'd inherited it from her mother's passing and moved here from Newport News just before I retired. On her walls were far more antlers than hunting rules would allow hanging on her wall and she said her son was going to get a lot more this year coming.

I was completely and totally shocked. Two people separately at different times told me they'd seen 9 turkeys on the ground rotting in their back yard.

I really didn't believe that, but then I saw the antlers. If this boy continues there will be no wildlife left in my little sanctuary.

I'm not a rat, and it doesn't look like anyone has reported him to the authorities. I did have a serious visit from a game warden last year accusing me of hunting out of season. I don't hunt, period, I don't hurt critters. I don't know whether he believed me or not but he went away.

I e-mailed his Mom about that this morning, she has responded but I haven't read it yet. Her boy is way askew, I've heard it from many without asking, I just hide up my holler and ignore anything except my treasure hunting friends.

My intent of saying this is that we have to survive, but we always have to remember that the critters around us have to survive with us.

Only kill what will feed you and no more. In my view that boy down at the highway has murdered, murdered God's gentle creatures just for the kill itself.

Would he snipe me from the ridge to the West = no doubt, he has murder in his veins.

I won't read his mother's response until tomorrow - have to brace myself.
    Republic of Vietnam 10/69 - 3/71, Cambodia April 27, 1970 on a mountain top with HUGE scorpions

"'He jests at scars who never felt a wound'" c.s.lewis - 1940

The Ten Commandments: http://www.godstenlaws.com/ten-comma.../#.UdAz65yynZg

The Bill of Rights: http://billofrightsinstitute.org/fou...ill-of-rights/

The Constitution: http://www.archives.gov/exhibits/cha...ranscript.html

Charter Member
    ca
    Sep 2016
    Nova Scotia
    2959 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by DeepseekerADS View Post
    This is an interesting thread. I've tried gardening and I guess it will take a couple more years before I'm capable of feeding myself. But I'll get a lot skinnier living just on my own production.

I did purchase a bucket of survival food in packets more than 4 years ago as I was planning my retirement.

Other than that, I've got to get myself in gear here. In my perspective and paranoia, end of times is just right down the road now.
    Potatoes and cold storage, 30 ft by 30 ft patch can feed one person almost all year long if grown and stored properly, I guess it depends on where you live for cold storage to work. Of course you would want more then just potatoes lol,
    Molewacker likes this.

us
    Feb 2015
    Yacolt WA
    Ace 350 - AT Pro
    1092 times
    Quote Originally Posted by EastCoastmetal View Post
    Potatoes and cold storage, 30 ft by 30 ft patch can feed one person almost all year long if grown and stored properly, I guess it depends on where you live for cold storage to work. Of course you would want more then just potatoes lol,
    I seen that in a Sci-Fi movie! (Survival potatoes - grown on Mars)

Charter Member
    ca
    Sep 2016
    Nova Scotia
    2959 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Molewacker View Post
    I seen that in a Sci-Fi movie! (Survival potatoes - grown on Mars)
    Ha, saw that movie too, but I dont need to see a movie, just go outback to my garden. P
    worldtalker likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Jan 2017
    Western ny
    equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
    3048 times
    I'm not worried at all. I have a large garden and orchard(fruit and nut), I have knowledge in hunting and plenty of game around me, knowledge of canning and preserving food, make maple syrup and keep bees, I live on a defensible hill, and I will be of great use for my metalworking, glass working, and wood working skills.

Charter Member
    ca
    Sep 2016
    Nova Scotia
    2959 times
    Metal Detecting
    Hamburgers that Last 25 + Years, but wait, doesn't MacDonald's already have those kind of burgers.... oh but they don't taste great even when fresh.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links