EastCoastmetal

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2016
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro International
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well so far i am not convinced its worthwhile, they cost a lot, take a lot of time to process, which means higher energy cost , then maintenance cost.

Probably wont be getting one, have plenty of options that cost very little now, cold storage for potatoes and the like, vacuum jar sealer for dry stuff like rice, beans etc. plus the trusty freezer for meats etc.

The freeze dryer would be nice if the costs were lower, much lower.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All those ads play on fear. I figure I can stock up a month's or two worth of food real cheap. If we get into a SERIOUS situation, like asteroid or huge war, all bets are off and someone will come and steal yours and mine after they do whatever they want to do first. No preparing for a worldwide catastrophic event, which is their sales pitch. 25 years worth of food that radiation or 20 degree below zero outside temps, that just don't add up. No it don't. Don't not. Naw. Fuggetaboutit.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
This is an interesting thread. I've tried gardening and I guess it will take a couple more years before I'm capable of feeding myself. But I'll get a lot skinnier living just on my own production.

I did purchase a bucket of survival food in packets more than 4 years ago as I was planning my retirement.

Other than that, I've got to get myself in gear here. In my perspective and paranoia, end of times is just right down the road now.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are lots of delicious deer around here......

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
There are lots of delicious deer around here......

A sad story in response to this, but I agree from the survival standpoint.

I remember when I first retired and came home here to my ancestral home - 3 years and a few months ago. I was going to cut some wood, and standing in my backyard there was a herd on deer passing on the opposite ridge heading further up the mountain. A following morning there was a flock of maybe as many as 30 turkey passing that ridge again up the holler.

I felt like I was in heaven here, I'm not a hunter, don't kill critters which don't want to hurt me. I'll find a way to feed myself thank you. I'd seen too much death already.

The 3rd year later, there are no deer in the yard or on the ridge. I haven't seen a turkey since that sighting.

The neighbor at the head of my kilometer long driveway, at the highway - I took her to dinner last week just to have a peace between us - although I will say that I've had very good chemistry when around her.

I walked her back into her house - she'd inherited it from her mother's passing and moved here from Newport News just before I retired. On her walls were far more antlers than hunting rules would allow hanging on her wall and she said her son was going to get a lot more this year coming.

I was completely and totally shocked. Two people separately at different times told me they'd seen 9 turkeys on the ground rotting in their back yard.

I really didn't believe that, but then I saw the antlers. If this boy continues there will be no wildlife left in my little sanctuary.

I'm not a rat, and it doesn't look like anyone has reported him to the authorities. I did have a serious visit from a game warden last year accusing me of hunting out of season. I don't hunt, period, I don't hurt critters. I don't know whether he believed me or not but he went away.

I e-mailed his Mom about that this morning, she has responded but I haven't read it yet. Her boy is way askew, I've heard it from many without asking, I just hide up my holler and ignore anything except my treasure hunting friends.

My intent of saying this is that we have to survive, but we always have to remember that the critters around us have to survive with us.

Only kill what will feed you and no more. In my view that boy down at the highway has murdered, murdered God's gentle creatures just for the kill itself.

Would he snipe me from the ridge to the West = no doubt, he has murder in his veins.

I won't read his mother's response until tomorrow - have to brace myself.

OP
OP
EastCoastmetal

EastCoastmetal

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2016
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is an interesting thread. I've tried gardening and I guess it will take a couple more years before I'm capable of feeding myself. But I'll get a lot skinnier living just on my own production.

I did purchase a bucket of survival food in packets more than 4 years ago as I was planning my retirement.

Other than that, I've got to get myself in gear here. In my perspective and paranoia, end of times is just right down the road now.

Potatoes and cold storage, 30 ft by 30 ft patch can feed one person almost all year long if grown and stored properly, I guess it depends on where you live for cold storage to work. Of course you would want more then just potatoes lol,

Molewacker

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2015
Yacolt WA
Detector(s) used
EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Potatoes and cold storage, 30 ft by 30 ft patch can feed one person almost all year long if grown and stored properly, I guess it depends on where you live for cold storage to work. Of course you would want more then just potatoes lol,

I seen that in a Sci-Fi movie! (Survival potatoes - grown on Mars) :laughing7:

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not worried at all. I have a large garden and orchard(fruit and nut), I have knowledge in hunting and plenty of game around me, knowledge of canning and preserving food, make maple syrup and keep bees, I live on a defensible hill, and I will be of great use for my metalworking, glass working, and wood working skills.

OP
OP
EastCoastmetal

EastCoastmetal

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2016
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hamburgers that Last 25 + Years, but wait, doesn't MacDonald's already have those kind of burgers.... oh but they don't taste great even when fresh.

Tom_Restorer

Gold Member
Oct 5, 2009
Primary Interest:
Other
Thinking about getting a freeze dryer, but know little about them, like can they really preserve some food for 25 years, how much power do they use, are they as good as all the hype says?

Thanks.

--

EC, simply forget it!
I work with freeze dryer in restoration.
What happen without electricity?
Most of them are very large and use a lot of electriciy.
Needs days until stuff is real dry to store it.

Better way is to build a sun dryer. Works without electricity - so it is also EMP safe :laughing7:
And go into smoking to store meat.

I wouldn´t go into anything that needs electricity. Back to the roots guys! What has worked for our ancestors for thousands of years is still working today!!

MotherOfGeeks

Apr 26, 2016
Washington
Primary Interest:
Other
I looked into it, but the price tag seriously scared me off, $2000 buys a lot of Mountain House meals at Costco. I do have my hand-me-down 1970s food dehydrator that still works fabulously. These days it generally gets used for making yogurt, fruit leather, apples & beef jerky.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Have you talked to anyone that has had the pleasure to eat a 25 year old burger? I believe I'd rather be beaten with a wet squirrel.

Holyground

May 17, 2014
Not in the can
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT GOLD, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found that Arizona Blacktop will dry meat better than anything. Just pull the fur off and Viola, dinner is served.

Holyground

May 17, 2014
Not in the can
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT GOLD, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you talked to anyone that has had the pleasure to eat a 25 year old burger? I believe I'd rather be beaten with a wet squirrel.

I've never been beaten with a wet squirrel. Now a wet beaver I have some experience with. I rather quite liked it. If I wern't so dog gone old now, I might do it again.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You would be better off not surviving

firemanphob

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2018
Lanesville, IN
Detector(s) used
White Coin master 4000
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
just as a discussion point, when I see people say that they can hunt to survive, how long do you think the game will last? I would contend that within a year, you couldn't find a squirrel let alone a deer. Everyone would be shooting game and the non experienced shooters would have no idea how to preserve the meat and would waste a lot.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions