Costco is selling a $6,000 doomsday meal kit

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Costco is selling a $6,000 doomsday meal kit | Fox News

By Janine Puhak | Fox News

1520689864647.jpg

Doomsday preppers are sure to delight in Costco's newest product. (Costco)

If you’ve ever fretted about what to snack on during an apocalypse, Costco has got you covered. The wholesale superstore has rolled out a $6,000 food kit featuring 36,000 servings of food that can feed a family of four for a year, according to its online listing.

"Enjoy the comfort in knowing you have the essential foods your family will need to survive an emergency or natural disaster!" Issaquah, Wash. headquartered chain writes of the package. Offering roughly 2,000 calories a day per person and a shelf life up to 25 years for the freeze dried items, the Nutristore 1-Year Premium Food Kit averages out to $0.17 per portion, Costco says.

From elbow macaroni pasta to instant milk, dehydrated potatoes, beef and chicken TVP as well as freeze-dried green beans, dehydrated apples and a mysterious “butter powder”, the kit certainly offers culinary creativity in its sheer size.

Costco further sweetens the deal by including shipping and handling in the $6,000 price tag, delivering the 1,800 package straight to your door “packaged discreetly for privacy in shipping.” Though the New York Times points out that Costco has been selling emergency survival kits since 2010, interest in doomsday packages has spiked in the wake of rising tensions between the U.S. and North Korea.

Though Costco declined tell the Detroit Free Press how many doomsday kits they’ve sold to date, they did describe the Nutristore 1-Year Premium Food Kit as a “great starter kit for a family who wanted to prepare for any kind of disaster.”

Naturally, the Twittervese had a whole lot to say about the massive kit, with some worrying that Costco was “onto something,”

“Costco rolling out the doomsday kits is really scary because 1. costco has always been an apocalypse prep store but now they no longer feel the need to hide it and 2. they clearly know something we don't" one user quipped.

Others cheekily mused that the meal package would be a great alternative to grocery shopping or a college meal plan.Twitter user Amelia Hurt joked that apocalypse suvivors shouldn't worry about going hungry, as there's no way the zombies could get in without membership cards.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
25 years? so if the Zombies don't come within 25 years you just wasted $6000.00
per year after that :o
while you hope for Armageddon :laughing7:

They should call it the Gamblers Special

wait 26 years & feed it to the rats & Cockroaches for the next 50

of course every 25 Years you could spent the year eating your Doomsday food before it goes Bad & restock :laughing9:

and if you Buy a years worth every Year, & put it away, your storage bin will look like Mount weather's

Last edited:
OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
That's $115.35 per week. Compare that to your weekly grocery bill for a family of 4.

But, then the question would be - Is it edible?

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What most people don’t think about is the water needed to rehydrate the food. It’s worthless without water. So that being said they also need water drums with fresh water that they would need to refresh. They can’t jug it up for 25 year shelf life.

When the SHTF water will be scarce unless you are like me and live on a farm with your own water well...electric and manual.

Canned meat like SPAM doesn’t need water to rehydrate just needs to be eaten before expiration date through rotation.

71531B3A-2E95-4A77-BB70-8EC3AF73089E.jpeg

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Half a year ago One of my neighbors bought a freeze dryer .They paid $4,000....Includes NO food :hello: She has had that dryer going 24/7 for the last 1/2 year non stop.

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Before I retired going on 4 years ago, I picked up a 5 gallon bucket of supposedly a week's supply of food for around $65. I really should open it up and see what's in there. It was a "just in case" impulsive purchase.

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nothing wrong at all with being 'prepared'.I'm always ready :)

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well isn't most of us here veterans? If so you have eaten MRE's that were packaged many moons before you got them. Back in the eighties we were eating stuff from late 60's and 70's

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What most people don’t think about is the water needed to rehydrate the food. It’s worthless without water. So that being said they also need water drums with fresh water that they would need to refresh. They can’t jug it up for 25 year shelf life.

When the SHTF water will be scarce unless you are like me and live on a farm with your own water well...electric and manual.

Canned meat like SPAM doesn’t need water to rehydrate just needs to be eaten before expiration date through rotation.

View attachment 1562684

No shortage of water here(with 500 mile shoreline),or wildlife,or fish,...or matches :) 2008_1123Mttohuntdeer4th0583.JPG

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

View attachment 1562684

I hear Water doesn't taste so good after a zombies been soaking in the bottom of the well for a week

Last edited:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's $115.35 per week. Compare that to your weekly grocery bill for a family of 4.

But, then the question would be - Is it edible?

If not for my Coffee, $55 a month. {Something tells me they don't Give enough Real Coffee
in the Package, if any.}

I'm gonna guess I live on about $15 a week myself.

I usually buy about $60 bucks worth of food once a Month,
And only Buy perishables like Generic bread & Donuts twice a Month.

I always have a 3rd or so of the food Left into the next Month.

When My Freezer gets Overstocked, I stop buying Meats till I get room again.

I still Am Gaining weight.

need to go back to smoking

Last edited:

lookingharder

Feb 27, 2015
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master. Garrett AT Gold, Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im a prepper and can make the same amount of food for a fraction of that cost with a Foodsaver. One life straw cost $18 and will do about 200 gallons of water. I looks at that package and think if you ever had to bug out, you'd need a semi truck to do it.

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I actually sampled an MRE from WW2 about 10 years ago. Some of it had given up but most of it was like the day it made made! HORRIBLE but not spoiled. I got a pack of Lucky strikes in the bag as well. They were still as nasty as the day they were made as well.

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If not or my Coffee, $55 a month. {Something tells me they don't Give enough Real Coffee
in the Package, if any.}

I'm gonna guess I live on about $15 a week myself.

I usually buy about $60 bucks worth of food once a Month,
And only Buy perishables like Generic bread & Donuts twice a Month.

I always have a 3rd or so of the food Left into the next Month.

When My Freezer gets Overstocked, I stop buying Meats till I get room again.

I still Am Gaining weight.

need to go back to smoking

Go out and swing the coil..that will help

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
does it include a years supply of beer?

Johnnybravo300

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2016
South of Gunnison, Gold Basin
Detector(s) used
F2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I like my pressure cooker and using Mason jars but the food takes up room. It tastes better and stores much longer than 25 years. I opened a jar of pickles and a jar of applesauce we found in my gpas basement when he died last year and they were both fine to eat from the 70's. He had alot of food canned in his basement and it all seemed fine after 40+ years. I've heard of people finding older food than that and it was fine too.
Canning is the way to go for me.

Johnnybravo300

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2016
South of Gunnison, Gold Basin
Detector(s) used
F2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I need to learn how to make beer tho. That would make a shtf scenario much more bearable haha. I have a couple of friends that make their own beer and they say it's super easy to do.
Any kind of alcohol would be nice now and then if there was nothing else!

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bah !... that's nothing...

Guy that hangs out in front of the 7-eleven said he has one for 5,999.

He said he would have to go get it and he needs half the money up front.

:P

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread